Mega Thread Things that s**t me part XI - The Eleventh One!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oh right, one six hit for the entire match, ok I stand corrected, the Womens Big Bash is so exciting even though there is next to nobody there watching it.:rolleyes:

If it was that great to watch the grandstands at the ground would be packed instead of being empty.

Probably because there isn't a large demand for men to play netball professionally because they have such a large access to other sports.

It has nothing to do with political correctness.

There isn't a large demand for women to play AFL or cricket professionally either if you go by the crowds at their games, they're just doing it to be PC.

Oh right, one six hit for the entire match, ok I stand corrected, the Womens Big Bash is so exciting even though there is next to nobody there watching it.:rolleyes:

Did you not see my earlier post? One of the players hit a six that went out of the ground and there was more than one six hit for the entire match.

Womens Big Bash cricket.

It should be called the Big Block as none of them can hit a six for s**t, they struggle just to hit it into the outfield.

They should just stick to netball and the kitchen.

Looks like a nice lofted cover drive 6 to me, one of the harder shots to pull off.
If cricket wishes to remain relevant for decades to come then engaging with female participants is required, remember that quite often it is mum's that take their kids to games.

Need a more holistic attitude I think, we have a 14yo girl who plays at our club and she just played her first senior game. Let them play and let them play professionally if they so choose.

If it was that great to watch the grandstands at the ground would be packed instead of being empty.

There isn't a large demand for women to play AFL or cricket professionally either if you go by the crowds at their games, they're just doing it to be PC.
Mate, there's no crowds because we haven't even had one official women's AFL game yet.

How can you judge demand off of something that hasn't even happened?

Looks like a nice lofted cover drive 6 to me, one of the harder shots to pull off.
If cricket wishes to remain relevant for decades to come then engaging with female participants is required, remember that quite often it is mum's that take their kids to games.

Need a more holistic attitude I think, we have a 14yo girl who plays at our club and she just played her first senior game. Let them play and let them play professionally if they so choose.

I've got no problem with females playing cricket but I don't think they play to a standard that warrants a professional league like the men, it's no better than local park cricket standard.

Mate, there's no crowds because we haven't even had one official women's AFL game yet.

How can you judge demand off of something that hasn't even happened?

I was going by the crowds at the WBBL which are still quite poor even after a couple of seasons of it, I have my doubts whether womens AFL will pull any better crowds than the WBBL. They got a decent crowd for the exhibition game this year but that may have just been due to the one off novelty factor.

Mate, it was as good a cricket shot as you'll ever see.

Fair enough if you don't like it though. There's an easy solution - just don't watch. I don't think the league's existence really hurts anyone, does it?

Mate, it was as good a cricket shot as you'll ever see.

Fair enough if you don't like it though. There's an easy solution - just don't watch. I don't think the league's existence really hurts anyone, does it?

No I guess it doesn't, I find it hard to believe the WBBL can be financially viable with the poor crowds they get though, maybe the tv ratings are good enough to make up for the lack of crowds at games.

The problem with the women's big bash, women's AFL etc. is that they are effectively leach off the male counterparts.

I don't care if women want to play cricket or footy or rugby or whatever, good on them. I'm not going to tell people what sports they can and can't play.

Ignoring the fact that the Big Bash is a relatively new competition to begin with, the reason there wasn't immediately a women's equivalent is that there isn't the demand for it. Less women play cricket than men and less people watch women's professional sport in general. The ANZ Championship was probably the highest standard netball competition in the world and they used to pay Channel Ten to have it broadcast on TV. You can cry sexism until the cows come home but the commercial reality is that it's not something that most people want to watch, hence there is low demand for TV coverage, low sponsorship and only a handful of people making a living out of it. I mean no one is particularly interested in my weeknight social sports comps, is that because of ingrained sexism?

The notion that has crept in that clubs somehow need a men's and women's team for everything shits me. There doesn't need to be a women's AFL, nor do women need to make a living out of it let alone as much as the men. If it takes off and is really popular (which I don't think it will be) then more power to them, but let's not pretend at this point it's anything other than a PR exercise with a healthy dose of entitlement from certain quarters.

The problem with the women's big bash, women's AFL etc. is that they are effectively leach off the male counterparts.

Is it really to a level that is detrimental to the men's game, though? I don't really think so.

It's an opportunity for women who want to compete in these sports to do so in a professional environment, and possibly opens up new viewers and interest to the game that might not have been interest in the men. If it gets to the point where they see the cost far outweighing the benefit, like any business or sporting league/team, it'll fold.

I don't really see why the existence of these leagues causes so much angst and hand-wringing. The WNBL and W-League have existed just fine for years in conjunction with the male equivalent. Is it just because footy and cricket are traditionally male-dominated sports, and (I hate to turn it into a gender-based argument) some men see this as an encroachment on their "territory"?

Last edited:
I think it's great that young girls now can aspire to a career in professional sport, without having to leave the country, which I doubt you could have said even ten years ago. I agree with Damon too, it's hardly detrimental to the men's game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well played Plugger35 well played

5oxq2xO.gif

Gotta be Apex. They hang around there and there was no description of the brawlers.

if it was apex it wouldve been mentioned, not a chance the media let a chance like that go.

seeing short footage of one involved suggests somewhat vanilla

Women's cricket I could see sticking around and gaining a bit of popularity, because at the end of the day, t20 is about wickets and boundaries, and those are going to look good no matter how fast the bowlers are sending them down.

The footy comp though? Maybe it's just me, but from what I've seen, footy is a lot harsher on the eyes when played at a lower standard, so unless the girls all grow 4 inches, get stronger, faster and add 20m to their kicking distance, the quality and entertainment value of it will never surpass your standard local ammos comp. Not sure that really deserves much more attention than say, the WNBL (which should probably get a lot of the attention that netball and now cricket and footy get, seeing as though we've been the second best women's basketball nation in the world for about 20 years. But that's an argument for another time).

Women's cricket I could see sticking around and gaining a bit of popularity, because at the end of the day, t20 is about wickets and boundaries, and those are going to look good no matter how fast the bowlers are sending them down.

The footy comp though? Maybe it's just me, but from what I've seen, footy is a lot harsher on the eyes when played at a lower standard, so unless the girls all grow 4 inches, get stronger, faster and add 20m to their kicking distance, the quality and entertainment value of it will never surpass your standard local ammos comp. Not sure that really deserves much more attention than say, the WNBL (which should probably get a lot of the attention that netball and now cricket and footy get, seeing as though we've been the second best women's basketball nation in the world for about 20 years. But that's an argument for another time).

The standard of footy was better than I expected for that Womens AFL exhibition game this year but that was the best players spread amongst just 2 teams.

When those best players are spread out across 8 teams in the Womens AFL comp next year the standard probably won't be as high.

The one advantage it has over the WBBL is that people are more passionate about their AFL teams than the Big Bash teams so they might get more support.

Weird guys next to you at the barber. Case in point:
The guy next to me was talking about his sexual exploits last night. He then says "yeah, she was giving me a blow job, and I farted in her face!"
I died of laughter:D:D

i enjoy watching nfl and nba but they are kinda ruined for me by the showboating and general floggery of the players. the over the top dancing after a touch down, the stare downs after a dunk or a block, the overly aggressive/chest thumping floggery FFS you are just playing a sport, stop acting like you've single handedly defeated ISIS
Seriously?

I love how they show some emotion. The NFL does seem to be filled with flogs I agree. But those guys need to stand out somehow, you can be out of the league in an instant via being cut or being seriously injured. The NBA really isn't that bad. They cracked down on taunting years ago. If you've ever dunked or swatted the crap out of someone in a game you'd know it's a pretty good feeling and you want to celebrate. Imagine you just hit 5 threes in a quarter or dunked on LeBron James, how can you not get fired up?

They're entertainers, they're paid to make plays and draw in fans. As you said it is sport. They're not taking themselves too seriously when they chest thump, dance or whatever. Isn't sport meant to be fun?

I much prefer that to the boring flogs in the AFL who all act the same and seem to lack any sort of personality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back