Mega Thread Things that s**t me part XII - The Twelfth One!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I’m not a soccer fan, openly admit that but my brother in law is (Melbourne City member for 4-5 years, die hard Sunderland fan) and he was more pissed off about it than I was.

Ah, Sunderland.

Does your brother in law have lifeline's number?

Sent from mTalk

See what we are talking about now isn't a limitation of the technology but an issue caused by the wholesale model

Your connection back to the node would be running at either 100Mb or 1Gb and that would be rock solid.
That line from your house to the node only has you on it.

From the node is where it gets murky.
The node connects to the NBN back haul, everyone on that node shares that bandwidth.

The NBN charges ISPs for how much of that bandwidth they guarantee to each one of their users at all times. ISPs were buying 1Mbps per user, especially early on, this meant if lots of users were online at the same time for the same ISP you could trickle to a halt.

This was an issue of the wholesale model with AVC and CVC being separate. They've changed models a bit now to guarantee minimum speeds as part of plans, instead of just letting the ISP buy as little as they want.

It's why the plans now have to advertise their average peak evening speeds.

You will see things like NBN 50 with 25 guaranteed between 7-11

Check your plan and what you are guaranteed and check what other ISPs are now offering, it's changed massively in the past 6 months.

It was an early signup thing (we were one of the first areas to have NBN, hence FTTP and etc) - was an unlimited data, 100MB Guaranteed*. About two months in they sent me something to advise the "PEAK" guarantee was finishing, or I could pay another $80pm to keep it. So now "Guaranteed" 25MBs (had actually forgotten this bit completely so no fault of ISP they told me it was going to happen).

Based on this I've spoken to my ISP, who have upgraded me to a new 50*/50 package (50Mbps 'Guaranteed' 24/7), which was actually cheaper than my current 100*/25, but should be faster during the evening when I will actually use it.

It was an early signup thing (we were one of the first areas to have NBN, hence FTTP and etc) - was an unlimited data, 100MB Guaranteed*. About two months in they sent me something to advise the "PEAK" guarantee was finishing, or I could pay another $80pm to keep it. So now "Guaranteed" 25MBs (had actually forgotten this bit completely so no fault of ISP they told me it was going to happen).

Based on this I've spoken to my ISP, who have upgraded me to a new 50*/50 package (50Mbps 'Guaranteed' 24/7), which was actually cheaper than my current 100*/25, but should be faster during the evening when I will actually use it.
Yeah mostnold plans are on the old whokeswho model
Some ISP are running both some are switching to the new model

I’m not a soccer fan, but every four years like everyone else I get sucked in and go “yeh, Straaaaaya, gonna watch the World Cup”.

Watched last night and watched even the feintest threat of some contact every French player go down like they’d been stabbed.

Might be on my own but it’s piss poor. They are great athletes but until they start getting carded for staging it’s not for me.

Also while I’m on a roll, sports pubs in Sydney. Roll down last night to settle in for Saints v Suns, Dragons v Eagles, World Cup, Hawks v Crows, Australia v Ireland and the cricket. Half time in the Saints game and some kiwis have a sook about not being able hear the All Blacks v France game so they proceed to put every tv on that game, asked if they could leave the footy on one and get told nah, they wanna hear the commentary. 6 TVs all showing the same non Aussie game of f**king Union. F**king Sydney man.

Not only that, sometimes you’ll see them with some sort of injury that apparently requires them to be stretchered off then the minute they cross the boundary line they spring to life again like Lazarus, what is that about? :huh:

I don’t mind a bit of soccer from time to time but some things about it will always mystify me :think:

The family is out for the arvo so I have rare peace and quiet to choose between Rich v Geelong or a backlog of World Cup highlights. 5 minutes after I sit down the damn power goes off. FFS.
As a bonus I get the chatterbox neighbour on my doorstep 5 minutes later cos she's lost power too. Bailed me up for nearly half an hour about all of the gossip in our street.

I know it s*** you but that gave me a huge laugh :D

Not only that, sometimes you’ll see them with some sort of injury that apparently requires them to be stretchered off then the minute they cross the boundary line they spring to life again like Lazarus, what is that about? :huh:

I don’t mind a bit of soccer from time to time but some things about it will always mystify me :think:

Hernandez has admitted he exaggerates contract to draw fouls in a presser since then.

Not sure if that is the bit that bothers me or if its the referees not just allowing it but encouraging it (by giving the opposing player a card). Seems odd they review a challenge in the box that is called play on on field but no one is looking at those challenges in the box and giving the ground level official a little word in the ear "there was no serious contact there, pay the foul but tell the bloke to stop diving".

I think he exaggerated a bit after the card to try get him sent off. The refs didn’t fall for it.

But there are no repercussions for it. They use the Video tech to check a 50/50 call in the box (which incidentally looks like they maybe, probably got right on review?) but they don't bother to check the bloke going down like hes gonna miss 12 months with serious injury every time someone breathes on him?

Im not arguing against it to a soccer fan, they have accepted its part of the game, but I think culturally in Aus (where we are raised on keeping in the contest and divers in all physical sports get publicly decried) and as, at best, a casual fan, I can say that why I don't enjoy the sport. Cut that s**t out and id probably be into it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw the article you are talking about, that's a new low, just when you think it cant get lower.
yeah pretty s**t that someone thinks going to the memorial, stealing s**t and painting offensive stuff around it was a good idea

Unfortunately it’s part of the game. It’s much more of a ‘theatre’ than other sports because a goal is so valuable.

That's exactly the point.

Ice Hockey has similar score lines, hardly anyone is diving in that, league and union have lots of games with minimal tries scored (the score line being 10-6 can be the equivalent of 1-1).

Anyway, I get it, I know why they do it, im just pointing out, I personally dislike it and would say its why I don't follow the game, id also argue that's the case for a lot of Australians and likely Americans because weve grown up with physical sports where diving is a cardinal sin.

Crossed my mind but maybe it should be started by someone who actually wants to talk soccer.

I find myself wondering how many of the people that whinge about people who only seem to be interested in soccer during the wc are the same ones that post about it over multiple non-soccer threads on multiple boards while it's on. :think:

Im not posting about it anywhere but here and im done now. Might tune into Denmark game if the pub doesn't have to show 3rd division handball on all 12 screens.

Crossed my mind but maybe it should be started by someone who actually wants to talk soccer.

I find myself wondering how many of the people that whinge about people who only seem to be interested in soccer during the wc are the same ones that post about it over multiple non-soccer threads on multiple boards while it's on. :think:
Hmmph.

So many soccer clubs in Europe can ead as far as I'm concerned. Munich and Man City top that list by a mile.

I am not a WC rider (Australia are ____ed) and I'm just waiting for it to be over.

Hmmph.

So many soccer clubs in Europe can ead as far as I'm concerned. Munich and Man City top that list by a mile.

I am not a WC rider (Australia are ____ed) and I'm just waiting for it to be over.
I'm a bit the same. With everything we've seen at FIFA, and the fact that it's been held in f***ing Russia all I'm left with is a vague hope that Australia does well and that's about it. Same with the Olympics, there's just too much money involved now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back