Mega Thread Things that s**t me part XII - The Twelfth One!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit the same. With everything we've seen at FIFA, and the fact that it's been held in f***ing Russia all I'm left with is a vague hope that Australia does well and that's about it. Same with the Olympics, there's just too much money involved now.

Russia is awesome.

The corruption of FIFA really turns me off. I hope we never bid for the WC again (unless FIFA is cleaned up, can't see it happening).

Would love to see the Aussies do well though :)

Last edited:
I've never really watched a soccer match but all I hear about is diving. Why isn't it derided like it is in other sports?

If you analyse the history of staging for frees in say AFL, it's always been there, but ardent footy fans have always shrugged shoulders and moved on without a word. Fingers were pointed at soccer for diving, exaggerating for free kicks/penalties, whilst stating it does NOT happen in footy.. Over the years, staging has increased in AFL, and people are aware of it. So in reality, both sports have it.

Ive heard an argement to say that "yeah at least the afl are doing something about it". What exactly? A fine? If the AFL are fair dinkum, as the finger pointing suggests, suspend the player. None of this fine, fine, if he does it again we'll suspend him. Cause it doesn't do anything.

We saw Rance, Buddy, Kane Cornes, LLoyd, Selwood all exaggerate contact to earn a free. Did it happen in their junior days? Or manifest like a dormant disease on the biggest domestic stage? Id say at AFL senior level it comes out.

Is it derided? Yes by soccer fans.

Is staging derided in footy? Yes it is. But being at the ground, when your player receives a free for it, the supporter thought is "yeah its soft but we'll take it". I like everyone are guilty of that.

You only have to look at Bigfooty when Geelong plays. Selwoods "ducking" causes so much stress for opposition fans, but geelong fans defend him. So by definition exaggerating is accepted as part of our game too.

That's exactly the point.

Ice Hockey has similar score lines, hardly anyone is diving in that, league and union have lots of games with minimal tries scored (the score line being 10-6 can be the equivalent of 1-1).

Anyway, I get it, I know why they do it, im just pointing out, I personally dislike it and would say its why I don't follow the game, id also argue that's the case for a lot of Australians and likely Americans because weve grown up with physical sports where diving is a cardinal sin.

I feel that bit is wrong. In basketball flopping has increased in prevalence and it's kinda accepted. Not liked, but its there. baseball there's no flopping.

Also, the English have also been brought up on "physical" sports. Rugby both versions.

If you analyse the history of staging for frees in say AFL, it's always been there, but ardent footy fans have always shrugged shoulders and moved on without a word. Fingers were pointed at soccer for diving, exaggerating for free kicks/penalties, whilst stating it does NOT happen in footy.. Over the years, staging has increased in AFL, and people are aware of it. So in reality, both sports have it.

Ive heard an argement to say that "yeah at least the afl are doing something about it". What exactly? A fine? If the AFL are fair dinkum, as the finger pointing suggests, suspend the player. None of this fine, fine, if he does it again we'll suspend him. Cause it doesn't do anything.

We saw Rance, Buddy, Kane Cornes, LLoyd, Selwood all exaggerate contact to earn a free. Did it happen in their junior days? Or manifest like a dormant disease on the biggest domestic stage? Id say at AFL senior level it comes out.

Is it derided? Yes by soccer fans.

Is staging derided in footy? Yes it is. But being at the ground, when your player receives a free for it, the supporter thought is "yeah its soft but we'll take it". I like everyone are guilty of that.

You only have to look at Bigfooty when Geelong plays. Selwoods "ducking" causes so much stress for opposition fans, but geelong fans defend him. So by definition exaggerating is accepted as part of our game too.

I feel that bit is wrong. In basketball flopping has increased in prevalence and it's kinda accepted. Not liked, but its there. baseball there's no flopping.

Also, the English have also been brought up on "physical" sports. Rugby both versions.
Flopping is still decried in the NBA, guys do it but it gets called out, plus there’s flopping “exaggerating contact” and there’s flopping “rolling around like you’ve been shot” the latter happens in every soccer game, usually more than once.

Soccer fans don't like diving as much as anyone. The trouble is that the people in charge of the sport arent serious about stamping it out. There are rules against simulation but they are rarely enforced. I think games should be reviewed and players retrospectively fined and/or suspended. I think that would stamp it out pretty quickly. The problem is they would never do it because even some of the best players in the game are guilty of staging every now and then.

What I hate most is time wasting. The solution would be simple, stop the clock for subs and injuries. The ref is meant to add on any wasted time but theyre often a bit too wishy washy with this, and honestly there is a psychological difference between playing in the 92nd minute and playing in the 72nd minute.

Flopping is still decried in the NBA, guys do it but it gets called out, plus there’s flopping “exaggerating contact” and there’s flopping “rolling around like you’ve been shot” the latter happens in every soccer game, usually more than once.

No it doesn't

(Log in to remove this ad.)

even the coaches join the party

tumblr_n6z5eg5rYJ1qdlh1io1_400.gif

My three old son the little s**t turned the bar fridge temp down to coldest, freezing all of the contents. On the plus side this was the champagne and soft drink fridge, leaving the beer fridge alone. If he ever does this to the beer fridge I'll be doing my block...
Three fridges?

My three old son the little s**t turned the bar fridge temp down to coldest, freezing all of the contents. On the plus side this was the champagne and soft drink fridge, leaving the beer fridge alone. If he ever does this to the beer fridge I'll be doing my block...
images.jpg
need to do this to the beer fridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back