Mega Thread Things that s**t me part XII - The Twelfth One!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
great students don't always make great teachers

explaining something to someone who doesn't get it when you did without thinking how can be hard

great students don't always make great teachers

explaining something to someone who doesn't get it when you did without thinking how can be hard

Like footy. Kevin Barlett was not statistically a good coach. Neither was Tim Watson

This isnt from other industries, this is high school students with ATAR scores of 17 getting to do teaching courses

Why are they being accepted in any course with a Year 12 result that low? I thought any score under 50 was considered a "fail" for the year, which would logically exclude you from acceptance to any uni course, and cause you to have to either repeat the year, or do something else (work, TAFE, etc.)

What does this represent? these ATAR scores mean nothing to me. Is 17 equivalent to a D grades or a fail or what? :think:
These represent a score graded out of 100 for University placement.

Here is an example list https://www.flinders.edu.au/study/pathways/year-12-entry/required-atar

Speech Pathology requires a 93. Law and Medicine typically ask for 90 or above

Victoria in 2017 recognised the issue

From 2019, aspiring teachers will need an ATAR score of at least 70 after their final exams.

The Education Minister, James Merlino, said the current variation in entry scores was huge.

"You can have an ATAR of 30 and get into a teacher course today. Those people are just not ready to be teachers," he said.

These represent a score graded out of 100 for University placement.

Here is an example list https://www.flinders.edu.au/study/pathways/year-12-entry/required-atar

Speech Pathology requires a 93. Law and Medicine typically ask for 90 or above

Victoria in 2017 recognised the issue

From 2019, aspiring teachers will need an ATAR score of at least 70 after their final exams.

The Education Minister, James Merlino, said the current variation in entry scores was huge.

"You can have an ATAR of 30 and get into a teacher course today. Those people are just not ready to be teachers," he said.

Thanks, so then an ATAR of 17 would be a miserable fail. (We had Anderson scores in my day :$ ).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks, so then an ATAR of 17 would be a miserable fail. (We had Anderson scores in my day :$ ).
I cant even remember ours. SACE or something Matric + . Leaving after year 10 I didnt bother finding out :p

I cant even remember ours. SACE or something Matric + . Leaving after year 10 I didnt bother finding out :p

No idea what it was called in 1991 when I finished, but I got an 81 (although that was scaled down 10 marks to 71 for Uni entrance purposes because I did the supposedly easier School Assessed Subjects as opposed to the Publicly Examined Subjects). A 17 is insanely low.

Last edited:
should being a shitkicker in high school prevent you from having opportunities in the future? If these people are able to ace the coursework then what does it matter if they were dropkicks when they were teenagers.

I think teaching in particular is a job that exposes shitkickers quite quickly, which is why so many new teachers leave their jobs.
I think this point has been lost on a lot of people. If someone goes into the course with those grades they still have to graduate like every other person. They may even end up with the same grade at the end of the course as someone who went in with 90's.

Universities need to be made more accountable as there is an over supply of teachers atm and this would go a long way to explaining why.

It also once again totally disrespects an industry that is supposedly there to help churn out the next Einstein. No wonder teachers get a bad rap.

They should be made to wait a year - do a bridging course and if they pass that then by all means go for it

I think this point has been lost on a lot of people. If someone goes into the course with those grades they still have to graduate like every other person. They may even end up with the same grade at the end of the course as someone who went in with 90's.
Hopefully it's changed now but some of the incompetent boneheads we had as teachers in the 90s at high school out in the country, I have no idea how they were able to graduate and get qualified. There was something obviously very wrong with the system that they were allowed to get through and gain employment.

I was all excited to learn German as my first foreign language in Year 7, swotted hard, was amazed at the teacher's prowess. Then I discovered the teachers edition of our textbook had a translation on every opposite page and he didn't know an Elektrizitätswerk from a bloody Krankenhaus. Lost all respect for him and enthusiasm for the subject and basically spent the hours in class doing homework for other subjects. Didn't help when I was introduced to a colleague of my father's who had been flown out from Germany for a big project, and here's this spotty kid addressing him in colloquial schoolboy Kraut instead of the formal language befitting someone of his stature and importance, and he turned away and asked Dad if I was usually that rude to foreigners.

This was 1975 so the old prick would have been a jackbooted thug goose-stepping everywhere in the war, old habits die hard I guess.

I'm so ******* sick of trains.

Last week I've been to Brighton a couple of times for work. Out to the airport to send off the family yesterday and now out to Cardiff for work this morning.

GAGF trains.

Universities need to be made more accountable as there is an over supply of teachers atm and this would go a long way to explaining why.

It also once again totally disrespects an industry that is supposedly there to help churn out the next Einstein. No wonder teachers get a bad rap.

They should be made to wait a year - do a bridging course and if they pass that then by all means go for it

universities don't care about what happens to students when they graduate, they just want that delicious commonwealth money, print out a degree and say hey thanks for coming

I was all excited to learn German as my first foreign language in Year 7, swotted hard, was amazed at the teacher's prowess. Then I discovered the teachers edition of our textbook had a translation on every opposite page and he didn't know an Elektrizitätswerk from a bloody Krankenhaus.
Any school kid worth their salt would have at least once made that teacher's edition 'disappear' 5 minutes before class.

universities don't care about what happens to students when they graduate, they just want that delicious commonwealth money, print out a degree and say hey thanks for coming

And as I said, they need to be made accountable - it’s commonwealth funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back