Society & Culture Things That Used to Matter

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you define loyalty?

Or people realised their employers etc don't really care about them so better off looking out for number one.
That's what I mean. People noticing others are becoming more and more untreatable, manipulators etc, so people who were/are looking for people to attach to, are being more guarded and not loyal. Which in turn makes them hard to attach to or show loyalty to. Ends up everyone sharpens their look out for number one side of themselves.

Can you define loyalty?

I Googled it. The dictionary definitions are pretty s**t. Cambridge has 'your feelings of support or duty towards someone or something' which is about where I'd see it.

People have warped perspectives on it. Is Dustin Martin loyal for signing with Richmond for 7 years at $1m a year or whatever it was? Would he have been disloyal if he jumped ship to North or wherever? He'd already given them 8 years of good service and been paid well in that time. Jordan De Goey on the other hand I'm glad re-signed with the Pies. Until this year he hadn't really done much and they supported him through injury and being a dickhead, so it's nice to see him not walk for a huge offer they can't match. The only reason teams don't trade players against their will is because they can't, though.

For normal people it's a two way street of *s given. Work, friends, family etc. My boss for example has been pretty good to me, so out of loyalty I wouldn't quit mid commitment to something that would see him left high and dry. But if someone came along and offered me a massive pay rise for a dream position I'm obviously going to take it. For any relationship that feels like a one way street then loyalty can get ****ed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being in front of the TV at the right time - the advent of Foxtel IQ, ABC iView, tenplay, 9now, Netflix and so on have meant that I am not even really aware of when things air on television anymore.

Time is still important for live sport but that's about it. I remember when Struggle St was on SBS and getting heaps of press. That's one of the few things I've watched (was only a short series) without even using a TV. Just watched it on SBS on demand on my laptop.

In general technology has taken a lot of time based decisions away from us. When I was a kid we'd go to the movies or to the beach or wherever which was a coordinated effort of buses and trains and meeting points. Then we got our licenses and you had to read the map book and work out how long it would take you to get somewhere. Etc. Now you just pull out your phone and Google Maps will tell you how to get from point A to point B by car or PT, how long it will take etc. and you're in constant communication with whoever you are meeting anyway. Hell if you can't read a map just turn on GPS navigation and it will tell you when and where to go.

I used to worry too much about other peoples opinions of me. Now I do what ever the f... I like as long as I am not unduly hurting anyone else.

Far too many people try to live up to other peoples/societies expectations of who they should be and what they should be doing, placed in a box of conformity.

Journalism standards are on a competing spiral to the bottom. You have the actual topics covered, the quality of actual journalism and you have the basics like spelling and syntax and they're all competing to see which can plumb the newest low.

If your job is to write words for a living and you get their/there wrong etc. you should be out on your date sharpish.

Journalism standards are on a competing spiral to the bottom. You have the actual topics covered, the quality of actual journalism and you have the basics like spelling and syntax and they're all competing to see which can plumb the newest low.

If your job is to write words for a living and you get their/there wrong etc. you should be out on your date sharpish.
Overall, it's obviously declined since the advent of the internet; news was given away for free, its value plummeted, and they never recovered. But there is still good journalism out there; if all you see or read is commercial news stations and News Limited, then sure, it looks pretty dire, but we also have to put the onus on people to search out good news sources.

Overall, it's obviously declined since the advent of the internet; news was given away for free, its value plummeted, and they never recovered. But there is still good journalism out there; if all you see or read is commercial news stations and News Limited, then sure, it looks pretty dire, but we also have to put the onus on people to search out good news sources.

Maybe I just didn't notice it when I was younger, but I don't remember The West being complete trash. Right leaning, state-centric and pro-WC sure, but these days I skim through it while waiting for a coffee in about 30 seconds.

I don't think there are that many good sources of news these days. ABC/BBC still decent but anything commercial is generally pretty trash. Murdoch, Fairfax - same s**t.

Maybe I just didn't notice it when I was younger, but I don't remember The West being complete trash. Right leaning, state-centric and pro-WC sure, but these days I skim through it while waiting for a coffee in about 30 seconds.

I don't think there are that many good sources of news these days. ABC/BBC still decent but anything commercial is generally pretty trash. Murdoch, Fairfax - same s**t.
The paper is thinner but it was always full of s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back