austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
I've only followed the game closely for a couple of years, but I'm told these 'finals' are kind of remedial class for the weaker teams, enabling the smaller clubs to get extra practise to improve their skills as everybody else goes on holiday. It seems a good idea, as it will make next year more competitive.
That's right. The grand final is like extra detention and an encouragement award for the dummy in the league.

Sep 22, 2015
Hovering above you...
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fulham
The transformation of Jack Steele... hopefully...

I love Steele as a player, he has the look of a captain about him and also is starting to develop a bit of a presence as well. Now i personally think that we are miss using him by playing him as a tagger. Yes he does a pretty good job on the opposition best players and gets the ball 20 odd times himself while laying a number of tackles on them, however i think we need to start using him as a pure BULL of a mid that opposition actually pay attention too and not vice versa. When he has tagged the elite, they have still manage to get the ball a number of times and have significant impact on the game if you watch it closely. He needs to be able to go head to head with them and look for his own ball instead of worrying about them and tackling them constantly (second to the ball and the highest tackle count).

Yes over the years he has struggled without a defined role, but i think we need him to be that inside bull ala Cripps/Fyfe/Danger/Cognilio and start getting close to 28 disposals per game. i feel that if we are to really improve on our midfield, then him and Dunstan needs to be the 2 that take us forward. Dunstan this year has really taken his game to a new level when it comes to clearances and contested possessions, and now we need Steele to do the exact same thing.

If we could get Marshall Dunstan and Steele worrying about just getting the ball and cracking in at the coal face with Gresham/Clark providing a bit of the X factor as well, and then have Ross (needs to lift his disposal) Billings (needs to be more damaging forward of centre) Hanners (one of the best in using it in traffic) all being on the receiving while Hill runs the wings we would be much more damaging.

In short we need to find another tagger (Sinclair? Acres? Langlands? Bytel?) other than Steele as we need him to get more of the ball and help out the clearances.

The transformation of Jack Steele... hopefully...

I love Steele as a player, he has the look of a captain about him and also is starting to develop a bit of a presence as well. Now i personally think that we are miss using him by playing him as a tagger. Yes he does a pretty good job on the opposition best players and gets the ball 20 odd times himself while laying a number of tackles on them, however i think we need to start using him as a pure BULL of a mid that opposition actually pay attention too and not vice versa. When he has tagged the elite, they have still manage to get the ball a number of times and have significant impact on the game if you watch it closely. He needs to be able to go head to head with them and look for his own ball instead of worrying about them and tackling them constantly (second to the ball and the highest tackle count).

Yes over the years he has struggled without a defined role, but i think we need him to be that inside bull ala Cripps/Fyfe/Danger/Cognilio and start getting close to 28 disposals per game. i feel that if we are to really improve on our midfield, then him and Dunstan needs to be the 2 that take us forward. Dunstan this year has really taken his game to a new level when it comes to clearances and contested possessions, and now we need Steele to do the exact same thing.

If we could get Marshall Dunstan and Steele worrying about just getting the ball and cracking in at the coal face with Gresham/Clark providing a bit of the X factor as well, and then have Ross (needs to lift his disposal) Billings (needs to be more damaging forward of centre) Hanners (one of the best in using it in traffic) all being on the receiving while Hill runs the wings we would be much more damaging.

In short we need to find another tagger (Sinclair? Acres? Langlands? Bytel?) other than Steele as we need him to get more of the ball and help out the clearances.

When Steele has played without an opponent he seems to get lost. He's a handy type already, if he could increase his output by 10% to 20% he's going to be an excellent player.

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Looking forward to midfielders and half backs kicking to their leading forwards, and not turning it over or bombing. Looking forward to our midfield adding an attacking side to their game- not just all blocking and defensive.
Want to see consistency across the team during games...less disappearing out of games for half a quarter etc.

Clark (Will be our best player by the end of next year)
Max King (Could be anything, could be nothing)
Bytel (see King but with more chance of nothing)
Coffield (I'm not sure why him and Hunter had such a slow start to the year but both looked much better at the end)
Hannebery (Like to see what he can do in a full season)
Paddy (If by some miracle he's ready to go next year)

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
1. A game plan that doesn't make we wanna puke, and may possibly make we want to watch us again.

2. Faith in the selection integrity.

3. The rise and rise of Roma and Hunter

4. Ming, Coff, Bytel and Paton all cementing their spots by the end of the season.

5. Seb dropped after round 5 until he fixes his disposal. Round 6 the midfield clicks and we begin to annihilate lower teams.

6. Clav finally debuts.

7. Benny Long and Matty Parker hit their straps and murder campaigners every week whilst kicking snags.

8. Jacks Steele and Billings finally believe. Steele clearly our 2021 Capitan by end of season

9. Enjoying our coach's pressers again.

10. With a % over 100, we sneak into finals and take some scalps on our way.

11. Finish our list reset. Elite players nominat Stkilda.
Destination club...

saints2066

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Fans not getting over excited about every little change and realising finals might be in 2021,2022 after round 6 next year.

You make finals from picking good youngsters from the draft, picking experience players is really for teams who made the finals who are missing something like lynch going to Richmond or bruce to bulldogs. We lost 3 players picked up 3 and two depth players. I still think acres>Jones.
We are even Stevens from last year.

We are relying on battle, king, coffield, Clark to step up then if gresh, billings keep improving we are a chance, but remember when our #1 draft pick paddy McCartin was our future?

If we have a new game plan based on pace I might change my mind.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back