Opinion Things to look forward to in Season 2020

Looking forward to midfielders and half backs kicking to their leading forwards, and not turning it over or bombing. Looking forward to our midfield adding an attacking side to their game- not just all blocking and defensive.
Want to see consistency across the team during games...less disappearing out of games for half a quarter etc.

I don't agree that we had a blocking defensive midfield.
Incompetent perhaps.

I don't agree that we had a blocking defensive midfield.
Incompetent perhaps.

I think our whole game plan was about harm minimisation though to be fair. Guys like Bruce had to work back into defence to help out. Ratts seems to be building towards each area minding their own patch instead of trying to do too much.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
I'm really interested to see how we use Battle. I thought he had a great season this year playing as a back. It seems, reading between the lines of some of Gallagher's comments, that we might move him back up forward. He is seriously talented, can't wait to see what he brings in 2020.

saintkildaman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 1, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm really interested to see how we use Battle. I thought he had a great season this year playing as a back. It seems, reading between the lines of some of Gallagher's comments, that we might move him back up forward. He is seriously talented, can't wait to see what he brings in 2020.
+ 1. I think Battle is very underrated externally, if he’s fit and goes forward I wouldn’t be surprised to see him kick 30+ goals. If he remains in defence then I feel sorry for opposition KPF’s trying to get a touch against Howard, Snake and Pretzel.

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
+ 1. I think Battle is very underrated externally, if he’s fit and goes forward I wouldn’t be surprised to see him kick 30+ goals. If he remains in defence then I feel sorry for opposition KPF’s trying to get a touch against Howard, Snake and Pretzel.

Battle just looks like a player. I reckon he ends up a gun whichever end we want him. As long as we just commit to it. On the plus side looks like we gave a decent amount of versatility now.

Who's pretzel?

I’m looking forward to you respecting saints players. Looks like I will be disappointed

Even when we played in grand finals people were attacking players. I doubt anything will change there. You might be disappointed.

Battle just looks like a player. I reckon he ends up a gun whichever end we want him. As long as we just commit to it. On the plus side looks like we gave a decent amount of versatility now.
Who's pretzel?
Was Kevin Sheehan’s big slider in his draft year. Pick #39.

Looks like he’s equally comfortable both ends which will just be fantastic for us. Personally think we may need him as a forward initially to cover Bruce a bit until Ming finds his feet.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Seeing the Ratten gameplan in action, noting his selection strategy.

Hearing about the initial effect of that ex-Hawthorn fella we took from AFL house.

Hearing about Roughead's progress in list management and his long term career design.

St Kilda's home-grown youth proving a lot of people (including its own fans) wrong and become elite (this is more of a hope than anything, but very possible)

Sandringham and St Kilda being closely aligned on playing style in a positive way.

Improved goalkicking.

Matt Parker lighting up the competition with another AFL preseason under his belt.

The indigenous round.

Revenge in Shanghai.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Our younger players stepping up, and some becoming stars. This to me will be the difference between having a great year or just having a so so one.

Seeing the Ratten gameplan in action, noting his selection strategy.

Hearing about the initial effect of that ex-Hawthorn fella we took from AFL house.

Hearing about Roughead's progress in list management and his long term career design.

St Kilda's home-grown youth proving a lot of people (including its own fans) wrong and become elite (this is more of a hope than anything, but very possible)

Sandringham and St Kilda being closely aligned on playing style in a positive way.

Improved goalkicking.

Matt Parker lighting up the competition with another AFL preseason under his belt.

The indigenous round.

Revenge in Shanghai.

Hearing about Trout's progress with Essendon's list will be nice too.

Back