Autopsy Things we learnt against Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick any 22 just about , around the main core of course (dont drop bud) it matters very little, the swans win when intensity and effort is there, guys run hard, tackle hard and work together

Will be hoping you continue that form against the forces of evil on Thursday. If you get to play them in the GF in front of us (which on form looks likely) you will have a great responsibility to the civilised footy community.
Be assured we are under no illusions as to the gravity of our solemn task.

A really good win for the club and Kieren Jack. Regardless of who is in the side (9 players under 50 games) they showed that if we turn up with an iron-clad will to chase and tackle with intensity, we can beat anyone anywhere. Now it needs to be replicated of course.

- Great to see Kieren not only play well but look like the Kieren Jack of 2010. Really active, quick on his feet AND most importantly very dangerous around goals. We haven't seen that with regularity for a while, despite him still being a good player. Fantastic game.
- Rampe easily BOG for me. His positioning in defence, his body work against opponents, his sense of when to come off his opponent to help Grundy/Aliir were all as good as you can expect from a defender. Add to that he made good decisions with the ball each time he had it and Geelong had no answer for him. He and Grundy must be in the AA squad at least and both have more than solid arguments for being in the 22. Another 2 rookie listed gems we've developed into stars. And Rampe's career is really only happening because of Alex Johnson's awful luck, amazing.
- I don't think Aliir will be leaving the side any time soon. What a quality third game of a career to have. Clark obviously was rusty as hell but he's still a damn good player. He's found his spot and he looks solid as hell. And Jeremy Laidler might be the one to suffer because of it as Aliir reads the ball in a similar way to Laidler (we can't see he does it superior to Jeremy just yet, more time needed), wins just about as much ball with efficient disposal but is 3cms taller and 5 kgs heavier with a much longer reach, better leap and more pace. He really looks like he could be what we've all been crying out for for so long: a young KPD of quality to build upon.
- I think Naismith's game is being slightly overrated but Sinclair's game certainly isn't. Naismith I would persevere with purely because he has the height, reach and leap to be competitive. He won't win much ball or make much of an impact around the ground at the moment but his physical attributes only make him useful. Sinclair on the other hand, oof. I've defended him this year a few times when I think people have been a little OTT in ripping him but the last two weeks have been...not good. I'd stick with him for one more week and really put him on notice and tell him a pairing of Naismith and Nankervis as our ruckmen is on the cards.
- Mills another cracking game and this must surely be his RS nomination. Surely.
- Jones and Rohan hold a lot of importance to our side at the different ends of the ground for similar reasons. They're both very quick, they move the ball directly and long, they'll run straight through packs to create contests or spoil and they pressure brilliantly. Ideally if they can get 15 touches a game that'd be fantastic but they can each have less and still be valuable.
- Ted forward was a pretty good move. We just needed someone who could stand under high balls and be a presence down there to kick to. Nothing more was really that necessary. Just someone with a little bit of height to create a contest. He was essentially what Matt Spangher used to be. And he had 3 shots at goal so he did his job to me. I'd retain him for next week, put him on Josh Gibson and see what happens. Henderson had no influence, if he could do the same with Gibson we'd be much better off. We need a tall, may as well be Ted right now. (who'd have thought both Richards boys would be forwards at this point in 2016?)
- Shout out to Jake Lloyd too btw. Having a very sneaky good year as our primary outside runner. He has chopped a few kicks up this year but he runs harder than anyone else and gets into good positions all over the ground. He's a very handy player who isn't getting any recognition but props to him.
- Nick Smith also having a sneaky good month. He started the year a little down on what we're used to and he'll never win much of the ball, but defensively he's back to his best. His peeling off and spoiling is excellent right now.
- And finally, it's ******* great to have Papley back in the side. He only had 10 touches but they were all gold. Great decisions made each time, perfect ball use, tough tackling and very smart forward play. His mark in the goal square went without much fanfare but for a guy of his size to have done that is very impressive. Very glad he's back, he is quality.

Still think Geelong's depth is better than ours?

Watching the desperation in his tackle on Hawkins, I get the feeling that Mills might have gotten a bit of feedback on his missed tackle on Stringer last week that resulted in a goal. That's the sign of a good player to recognise a mistake and improve on it straight away

i'm not comparing to geelong but our lack of depth over the years is highlighted by the fact jetta was never dropped when playing for us. compare that to the wce approach to him.
I think that can partly be explained by changes to the coaches' strategic thinking. Up until this season there seemed to be a reluctance to drop players - specifically 'established' players - and blood many youngsters. That's well and truly changed this year and I suspect that if Jetta was still with us, and playing poorly, there would have been a much greater likelihood that he would have been dropped.

I think that can partly be explained by changes to the coaches' strategic thinking. Up until this season there seemed to be a reluctance to drop players - specifically 'established' players - and blood many youngsters. That's well and truly changed this year and I suspect that if Jetta was still with us, and playing poorly, there would have been a much greater likelihood that he would have been dropped.

Swans strategy was to have a consistent team with as few changes as possible. That fits a mature experienced list. Last year the Bulldogs made a lot of changes week to week and it was expected that approach would change this year when their best 22 was more clearly established. Last week the Bulldogs go in with ?5 changes and I thought that would guarantee us the win. Interesting this week we go in with 4 changes and Foote gets an upgrade. It sends a really clear message to the players that the best in the Reserves will get a game and consistent performance is required. This is the right thing to do with the age profile of the the list.

i'm not comparing to geelong but our lack of depth over the years is highlighted by the fact jetta was never dropped when playing for us. compare that to the wce approach to him.
He's just a worse player this year. Looks slow, unfit and isn't being utilised in that designated long kicking role he had with us. Little to do with west coast wealth of depth.

Great game, wish it had been played at home (so I could have been there:p) but to win at the cattery is always a treat!!

What did I learn...

1. Horse is a master coach with a sensational support team... to rebuild on the run the way he has been is just sensational. These youngsters are superb and make the leap to AFL standard with barely a hitch in their stride. Moving Ted to the forward 50... Masterstroke!

2. Mills... how great is this kid?!! If this is not his natural position, then how great will he be when he goes to that!

3. I much prefer Naismith to Nankervis... I think that his ruckwork is more effective and that is what we have been lacking since Tippet's injury. I'd like to see Naismith with Tippet on his return.

4. 11 goal scorers is always sensational to me because when that happens I think they are playing well as a team.

5. Are we good enough to be the Hawks next week? Yes, without doubt! Will we?... I think so. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we won every game to the finals (even the Richmond game!!). I think we are hitting our stride at the right time of year.

Question: Someone reminded me today of the week off before the finals. Which means that if you come 1 or 2, then you may have a week off, play a game, then have another week before the preliminary final... Do we think this will be a good or a bad thing and why??? (Someone should start a thread... ;))

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I may be hallucinating. But it looked like Towers was basically being played in the Sam Reid role.

Sometimes forward, Sometimes back, Sometimes third man up, and with his vertical leap could go into the ruck (he would end up in hospital, but he could in theory do it...)

I may be hallucinating. But it looked like Towers was basically being played in the Sam Reid role.

Sometimes forward, Sometimes back, Sometimes third man up, and with his vertical leap could go into the ruck (he would end up in hospital, but he could in theory do it...)

Time is running out for Reid i wouldn't bring him back will be severely underdone and wont offer more than Towers, saw him a few times in the middle and around the stoppages as well won the ball cleanly but handballed it to the opposition.

This board is less united when we win

If you referring to my previous post i have said plenty of times that everybody expresses their frustration and disappointment in different ways when their team loses and can be prone to the odd outlandish post but to have it regurgitated on here by vultures that just want to try and belittle you **** them. How many times does that s**t get discussed on here about the reactions and emotions of posters ?

If you referring to my previous post i have said plenty of times that everybody expresses their frustration and disappointment in different ways when their team loses and can be prone to the odd outlandish post but to have it regurgitated on here by vultures that just want to try and belittle you **** them. How many times does that s**t get discussed on here about the reactions and emotions of posters ?

Honestly? Did not even see the post

Agree with you though,

Unrelated to the game, but not sure where else to ask this. During the Fox Footy cover of this game (Cats V Swans) there was an advertisement for a magazine that's running a story on Hennebery. I only caught the end of it and missed the name of the magazine (possibly The Footy Record), but could someone please advise or confirm?

A bit late of me to sheepishly wander in and congratulate your mob, but that was a real footy lesson your team handed out last night; just looked better drilled right from the start.
Lot of respect for your mob, a very professional organization and always tough to beat.
Might catch up in September, if so we've got plenty of reason to be wary!

A bit late of me to sheepishly wander in and congratulate your mob, but that was a real footy lesson your team handed out last night; just looked better drilled right from the start.
Lot of respect for your mob, a very professional organization and always tough to beat.

It's that sort of season mate you should be fine with your run home still top 4 material in my view.

it was a weird result as a neutral. Not too many sides have beaten the cats in geelongistan....

-the current swans side

-Freo under ross lyon before this year

-demons in the post mark neeld and liam jurrah era.

Again.... not a big list

The Cats were coming off the bye, and it was Kieren's 200th. We never win off the bye either. Don't sweat it, you'll be top 4 this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back