Autopsy Things we learnt against Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

it was a weird result as a neutral. Not too many sides have beaten the cats in geelongistan....

-the current swans side

-Freo under ross lyon before this year

-demons in the post mark neeld and liam jurrah era.

Again.... not a big list
I can assure you, not many of us had much confidence going in to this game.

i'm not comparing to geelong but our lack of depth over the years is highlighted by the fact jetta was never dropped when playing for us. compare that to the wce approach to him.

Our depth is also better than West Coasts. This year is a different season.

Great win.

Didn't think we would win down at the cattery but pleasantly surprised. Not surprised at our pressure though, it is one of our best assets. Felt like a final.

Must be too emotionally involved as just watching it took a day to recover. Took until 11.00 am Saturday to get some sleep. Probably just getting too old.

Big game coming up but this Geelong win gives us breathing space in our quest for a double chance.

Aliir showed the composure of a 100 gamer. Well done.

That Mills rundown and spoil of Motlop was special.

Still can't believe we are second after the amount of youth injected into the side this year.

It probably highlights how important it is to get games into the younger players in the reserves. Hopefully the standard of the NEAFL is increasing each year so one day it may be close the VFL.

Loved Longmires comments about the attitude of Aliir when he was put back into the reserves this year. Sound like a special bloke who loves playing footy.

Franklin did plenty while only scoring 1 goal.

Must admit I was WTF when I saw Richards up forward. Seemed to work though as the Geelong defence was not as dominant as usual.

Rampe, what a player.

Return of KT might be the missing link. If KT makes it back in time then their is a selection dilemna. If he is back by say Round 21, then a week as 2nd ruck with Naismith taking the centre bounces may work. Who knows.

Get Carlton and WCE home today so we remain a game and percentage clear in the Top 4.

He's just a worse player this year. Looks slow, unfit and isn't being utilised in that designated long kicking role he had with us. Little to do with west coast wealth of depth.
i didn't think he could get much worse but having not seen him play much i'll have to take your word for it...

i'm not sure about that, two really good young midfielders in sheed and duggan can't get a game... neither can ellis...

Probably because Sheed has averaged 18 touches in the WAFL and Duggan 17.

Last edited:
Probably becaude Sheed has averaged 18 touches in the WAFL and Duggan 17.

do you mean thats why they are in reserves?

wafl is a lot higher quality comp cf neafl?

do you think they would swap either of those two (who are returning from injury) for any of the midfielders in our neafl side?

i'm not criticising our players just trying to be objective. i've really liked the form of jack and foote in the neafl...

do you mean thats why they are in reserves?

wafl is a lot higher quality comp cf neafl?

do you think they would swap either of those two (who are returning from injury) for any of the midfielders in our neafl side?

i'm not criticising our players just trying to be objective. i've really liked the form of jack and foote in the neafl...

They swapped their second ruck for one of our mids

Unrelated to the game, but not sure where else to ask this. During the Fox Footy cover of this game (Cats V Swans) there was an advertisement for a magazine that's running a story on Hennebery. I only caught the end of it and missed the name of the magazine (possibly The Footy Record), but could someone please advise or confirm?

Mens Health August Edition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The result of Friday night's game was going to convince me otherwise as much as us losing would have convinced you otherwise.

Yeh fair point and it's obviously just differing opinions, will be interesting to see how both teams are looking in 2018, I think the Cats will struggle more without Enright, Lonergan, Bartel, Mackie than we will without Richards and McGlynn.

Can somebody please PM me when we get back to wallowing in the joy of Friday night's win?

if you want to tread water that's up to you. i enjoy the wins in the moment and in the following few hours even. i also feel sick when we lose up until the next win. it takes a while to realise the things we did well in this instance.

but on the other hand a victory isn't time to relax, otherwise we'll soon be surpassed in overlooking the deficiencies winning the 4 points diverted attention from. i want to know how we can get better to win the ultimate prize.

i'm not comparing to geelong but our lack of depth over the years is highlighted by the fact jetta was never dropped when playing for us. compare that to the wce approach to him.

He got dropped after the Semi Final last year. Hasn't been in the Swans seniors since.

So another thing, if Towers can get rid of those 2-3 clangers per game, and just back himself a little bit more, I feel like he can legitimately be a good, maybe even really good player.

For a player in that role (swingman, winger), getting into positions to get the ball is the hardest part. He's doing that now, getting 20+ disposals in his last three games.

Unrelated to the game, but not sure where else to ask this. During the Fox Footy cover of this game (Cats V Swans) there was an advertisement for a magazine that's running a story on Hennebery. I only caught the end of it and missed the name of the magazine (possibly The Footy Record), but could someone please advise or con
So another thing, if Towers can get rid of those 2-3 clangers per game, and just back himself a little bit more, I feel like he can legitimately be a good, maybe even really good player.

For a player in that role (swingman, winger), getting into positions to get the ball is the hardest part. He's doing that now, getting 20+ disposals in his last three games.
I will grant you that, but his panic attacks are a big worry.
Great win at probably the hardest venue to win at.

Things I learnt after the Geelong game - I learnt this would be a very difficult exercise, completely different than when we were all doing it pre season - if all players were fit, what would our best 22 look like?

We almost all had Mills in there but he is an absolute lock now and on little exposure it may well also now contain Naismith, Papley, Hewett, Towers and ....... Aliir???? How does Reid fit in?

As for later this year, just hope Naismith can keep this up, his tap work was very impressive and in the NEAFL he gets around the ground stuff so I see Naismith main ruck and Tippo relief ruck/FF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back