Society & Culture Things you do/did that you probably think no one else does

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been to about 15 different states. The Americans can understand us about as well as we understand them, depending on the State.

I've been to about 15 different states. The Americans can understand us about as well as we understand them, depending on the State.
The hardest blokes to understand, and who were also speaking English were a pair of Glaswegans I once met. I only understand one word in five.

The hardest blokes to understand, and who were also speaking English were a pair of Glaswegans I once met. I only understand one word in five.
Assuming that means from Glasgow, my dad is from there, came over when he was 12 (is over 50 now I am pretty sure). Still the thickest accesnt ive ever heard in my life. Can never understand him. Just a smile and agree type convo with him.

Assuming that means from Glasgow, my dad is from there, came over when he was 12 (is over 50 now I am pretty sure). Still the thickest accesnt ive ever heard in my life. Can never understand him. Just a smile and agree type convo with him.
It's odd how Scots keep their accent wherever they are, it must be in the dna. Is your old man a good drinker too? Am I being racist against Scots?

It's odd how Scots keep their accent wherever they are, it must be in the dna. Is your old man a good drinker too? Am I being racist against Scots?
Doesn't drink often, but I have never seen him drunk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At work we have a gate that we have to go through in the car park to get to the office, and if I'm walking 2 metres+ behind another staff member, they will usually hold the gate open for me but sometimes I'm too far away and I get caught between this walk/run/shuffle type movement in order to get to the gate so they don't have to hold it open for too long. It happened three days in a row once and I'm scarred so now the speed at which I walk to the gate now depends on if there is anyone in front of me and how far away the person is. If I can catch up to them so I'll be right behind them when they open the gate, then I will power walk. If they're too far away and there's a chance they will hold the gate open for me I will purposely walk slower or drop something so I delay the time in which I get to the gate thus avoiding the quick step shuffle or run that I need to pull out.

I know saying this as an Aussie is cheating but Australians are pretty easy to understand as far as English speakers go, if...... they speak properly.

Traveling overseas has taught me to speak properly out of necessity. The accent isn't a problem, it's our propensity for slang and abbreviations.

A friendly 'Howyagarn' will get a blank stare from most foreigners but 'How are you going?' with gaps between the words will be understood most of the time. If you're Glaswegian then with some people (even English speakers) no matter how many times and how slowly you repeat 'Hoo are yee goon?' the blank stare won't go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back