Society & Culture Things you do/did that you probably think no one else does

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i always wonder how much of they ate - for instance, if they had to do the scene twenty times, did he/she have to eat a mouthful 20 times?

and wonder, does it taste any good? was it made by a proper chef etc....

I also wonder what people in the background of scenes are talking about and is any of it scripted (especially when the other actors are in the background interacting with each other and not extras)
Fairly famous story from Wolf of Wall Street where Jonah Hill improved insisting Leos character have the last piece of yellowfin tuna.

They did the scene like 40 times and Leo threw up.

I remember reading an interview with Brad Pitt (who famously snacks on screen alot) he advocated for "eating" snacks from a bag or whatever so you cant see it and he could fake eating for scene with big takes.

Not me but my mates family, at every family birthday they’d light one candle (after birthday person had blown them out) and pass the cake around the table. Everyone there would be required to blow a candle out, then light one and pass it on.

My mate who it was is always talking s**t so I didn’t believe him until I went to his family’s for a birthday dinner once, yep it happened.
Probably stems from the time the youngest kids got shitty about not being able to blow out the candle :D

Such a normal and awesome family, I’ve known them for ever, probably the weirdest thing they’ve ever done. Over 35 years that’s not bad ha ha

Probably stems from the time the youngest kids got shitty about not being able to blow out the candle :D

Fair call. 5 kids and they would have all been a real handful ha ha

When seeing the dealership/location on a number plate, I often wonder if the dealership/location is from some way away, are these people just passing through the area, are they visiting, is the car second hand, did they travel to that particular location to pick up that car?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When speaking with persons on the phone, I reflect the way they speak. Example, speaking with someone with strong aussie accent, dial up mine to match theirs.

I do this as well and ramp up the bogan accent when needed. Might throw a few 'mates' in there rather than their name if they're overly informal or live in a regional area. If they're swearing then rather than things being 'difficult' I'd say it's 'a bit of a pain in the arse' instead. 'I reckon' in place of 'I think' etc. It's important to match the conversation to the person you're having it with.

I do this as well and ramp up the bogan accent when needed. Might throw a few 'mates' in there rather than their name if they're overly informal or live in a regional area. If they're swearing then rather than things being 'difficult' I'd say it's 'a bit of a pain in the arse' instead. 'I reckon' in place of 'I think' etc. It's important to match the conversation to the person you're having it with.
absolutely

A few more terms you may like to consider when engaging such persons:

gday cobber
bloody oath
strewth
how about those do gooders?
how about those illegals?
how about those queue jumpers?
how about those immigrants taking our jobs?
did ya see that insert local sporting contest ?

* may or may not be applicable. Use with care.

Yeah I guess I agree to a point. But when I'm speaking to someone from another culture (particularly if English is a second language) I try to speak proper English but try to be natural as well and "speak like an Aussie".

Theory being if I speak to an Aussie and am all "g'day knackers what's going on campaigner" and them speak to the other person "Hello! How are you today? How is your life unfolding?" etc etc. If you speak unnaturally to people from other cultures they'll probably think you don't accept them.

It's a balance though of course, rhyming slang etc would be out in that situation.

Yeah I guess I agree to a point. But when I'm speaking to someone from another culture (particularly if English is a second language) I try to speak proper English but try to be natural as well and "speak like an Aussie".

Theory being if I speak to an Aussie and am all "g'day knackers what's going on campaigner" and them speak to the other person "Hello! How are you today? How is your life unfolding?" etc etc. If you speak unnaturally to people from other cultures they'll probably think you don't accept them.

It's a balance though of course, rhyming slang etc would be out in that situation.
The Aussie accent can actually be hard to decipher for alot of non Aussies (even other English speakers).

Yeah I speak like a bogan (surprise surprise) so in a corporate setting I try to make my speech a bit more proper.

thumb_a-garage-ooh-la-di-da-mr-french-man-the-simpsons-meme-la-50965264.png

so no dry as a dead dingos donger?

I have a clock in my room that has a thermometer and so every 10 seconds it flashes up the temperature for a few seconds and then back to the time. The temperature can be shown in Celsius or Fahrenheit. I’ve left it at F. Just to learn a new thing.

I quite like Fahrenheit as a measurement scale of human comfort temperature.

i.e
fewer than 0 degrees, really properly cold. Take appropriate care outside or you could die
more than 100 degrees, ******* hot! Take appropriate care outside or you could die

So Fahrenheit is not a perfect scale for that, but it is pretty close.

I don't feel as if we get full value from the Celcius scale in that mode. Mostly compressed between -5 and 40.

Yes, I think this post meets the thread criteria ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back