Things you don't see often

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
I just go back to the table and sit back down, and like wait it out.

Both mum and dad are both equally to blame here..

I cant really do that as it would seem rude. Each region has a different quota... where we live it's just 2 and if you dont know the person well or its work related most of the time a handshake is enough. But some regions have 4 or even 5 kisses. Took me a few years to get the action right too as I was going in for the full cheek kiss, now I leave my lips in the air.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Not sure if right thread for this observation or not, but...

My brother pointed something out yesterday when driving around, and it was so true.

This year, we seen next to no kids out playing in the street. Three, and that's the poor house up the street from us with nearly a dozen kids.

I think shitty technology and culture has finally done it. After the scares and false dawns of the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s, it has finally happened. Children aren't going outside.

Am I shouty old man here?

Last edited:

My brother pointed something out yesterday when driving around, and it was so true.
This year, we seen next to no kids out playing in the street. Three, and that's the poor house up the street from us with nearly a dozen kids.

I think shitty technology and culture has finally done it. After the scares and false dawns of the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s, it has finally happened. Children aren't going outside.

Yup there are no more kids.

FWIW- an 11 year old and a 15 year old moved into the villa next door to us- like metres away. I never saw or heard them, ever.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Yup there are no more kids.

FWIW- an 11 year old and a 15 year old moved into the villa next door to us- like metres away. I never saw or heard them, ever.

Like, for 40 years, kids balanced indoor tech with outdoor activity pretty damn well. I still thought outside had the balance for all but the most nerdy and outcasted kids. I considered myself nerdy and outcast to an extent, but not that much. I still played cops n robbers, street footy, rode bikes, walked to the shop for a thickshake, etc, and I would see plenty doing to the same in the last fifteen years since I stopped being a kid too.

Now it feels done with.

Last edited:
Like, for 40 years, kida balanced indoor tech with outdoor activity pretty damn well. I still thought outside had the balance for all but the most nerdy and outcasted kids. I considered myself nerdy and outcast to an extent, but not that much. I still played cops n robbers, street footy, rode bikes, walked to the shop for a thickshake, etc, and I would see plenty doing to the same in the last fifteen years since I stopped being a kid too.

Now it feels done with.

Yeah i would have been in my backyard, either playing with my cats, riding my bike or hitting a ball up against the wall with a racquet. Cousins- yeah playing video games sometimes (SEGA FTW) but still half the time down the park, soccer, bikes, or in their pool.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Like, for 40 years, kids balanced indoor tech with outdoor activity pretty damn well. I still thought outside had the balance for all but the most nerdy and outcasted kids. I considered myself nerdy and outcast to an extent, but not that much. I still played cops n robbers, street footy, rode bikes, walked to the shop for a thickshake, etc, and I would see plenty doing to the same in the last fifteen years since I stopped being a kid too.

Now it feels done with.

I think given people have smaller families causes it as well, we used to play in a group of like 15 kids in our court, now there’s basically two kids.

I think some my age (37) forget how much time they spent inside though, we were the Nintendo generation after all.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I think given people have smaller families causes it as well, we used to play in a group of like 15 kids in our court, now there’s basically two kids.

I think some my age (37) forget how much time they spent inside though, we were the Nintendo generation after all.

Same age as my brother.

I think there was still plenty of outdoors time. My brother is ten years older than me, I'm 27. We both love games and movies more than average, but compared to kids today, we may as well have been Sir Edmund Hilary.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Agreed on the no kids playing in the streets or in the parks. I walked the dog and went around the streets and past about 3 large parks and not one single child.
These pedo gangs have people running scared.

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München

Paedo scaremongering has poisoned the minds of modern young parents

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Same age as my brother.

I think there was still plenty of outdoors time. My brother is ten years older than me, I'm 27. We both love games and movies more than average, but compared to kids today, we may as well have been Sir Edmund Hilary.

We were definitely outside more but like you said probably a fair balance. There’s an argument to say the current batting woes in the Test side are a result of this, I reckon batting on a half pitch against a half taped tennis ball in the yard did more for my batting than actual cricket training.

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
Paedo scaremongering is all part of the tactics of driving men away from influencing children, to weaken society. Same with no fault divorce, the deification of single parents, breakdown of the family, so called 'enlightenment' with the rise of atheism/agnosticism. All makes us weaker, more miserable, prone to primal lusts and urges, instant gratification and selfishness.

GG.exe can attest to my crazy ramblings.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Paedo scaremongering is all part of the tactics of driving men away from influencing children, to weaken society. Same with no fault divorce, the deification of single parents, breakdown of the family, so called 'enlightenment' with the rise of atheism/agnosticism. All makes us weaker, more miserable, prone to primal lusts and urges, instant gratification and selfishness.

GG.exe can attest to my crazy ramblings.

There are small things you can do to address this issue. I for one have started to go to the park on a Saturday morning with my cute dog. I ask the small children if they'd like to pat my dog and give them all lolly pops when they come close. Once the parents see I'm not going to kidnap their child I feel they start to realise that not all men are paedos.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
There are small things you can do to address this issue. I for one have started to go to the park on a Saturday morning with my cute dog. I ask the small children if they'd like to pat my dog and give them all lolly pops when they come close. Once the parents see I'm not going to kidnap their child I feel they start to realise that not all men are paedos.
Maybe do wear a trench coat every week though

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The granny flat and garage forced me to develop a very on side game with the bat.

Like Bradman, we never aired the ball. I remember me best mate smashing the driveway light. Dropped the bat and took off home straightaway. Nobody wanted to be around when dad got home.

Then there was the risk of tetanus of you edged it in to the side area where he stored his spare materials like tin and iron.. Not unusual to come back with cut hands and legs after fishing for the ball

Sent from mTalk

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The granny flat and garage forced me to develop a very on side game with the bat.

The Waugh’s played on a driveway that slanted towards the on side, Mark in particular was great off his pads of course.

I have a great book somewhere on Aussie cricketers and their backyard setups, I think Charlie Macartney played on cobble stones or something.

The Waugh’s played on a driveway that slanted towards the on side, Mark in particular was great off his pads of course.

I have a great book somewhere on Aussie cricketers and their backyard setups, I think Charlie Macartney played on cobble stones or something.
I think that's First Tests by Steve Cannane, great book.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
That still sounds creepy

Back