Things you have learnt in round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

In the meantime the current flavour of the month, The Western Bulldogs has been left with a lovely cocoon of protection with no hype and no expectations when all along they and Adelaide are the teams to beat.
Shhh, we've been talking about this all year on the dogs board, cheers for that ;)

Shhh, we've been talking about this all year on the dogs board, cheers for that ;)
nine tenths of subliminal velocity means that you are now in the gun... time to crouch down and see if you can breath while bending the knees
and letting the air flow... short pants are vital for this movement... don't do anything else but attach the eyeballs to the target and ... then we 'are all saved'.

ah is this a 'what I'd like to happen' rather than a 'you should just give up now'

storming norman wasn't this hard on his opponents early on.. he at least gave them a chance. see if it doesn't..
It's just an opinion mate. Hopefully you can deal with that and move forward.

It's just an opinion mate. Hopefully you can deal with that and move forward.
like yu I get through the day by expressing my invalid opinion and enjoying the ride as well.

it is never a dull moment here. as long as you read it right or else read it as a bit of a gaff.. naff.. laff. that will get the people working with
wrong words.. some people just don't like getting it wrong.

I generally start out the season very positive and grow more negative as the season goes on.

But even with that rider, I thought this was an exceptional round 1! Sydney v Port is the only game I didn't see a minute of, and of the rest of the games that have been completed (so not counting the ongoing one) I think there's at least something for fans of all teams to get excited and optimistic about going into round 2. Hawthorn are probably an exception, and St Kilda might be an exception too. Even North, I thought the scoreboard was harsh on them, and when you factor where they're at in their cycle, they looked surprisingly good for long stretches of today.

If there's a negative, I guess it's that it won't take long for us to be talking about umpires. I get super excited for Round 1, so I've been to 3 games this week - to compare the adjudication of holding the ball between Pies/Dogs, Saints/Dees and Roos/Eagles, you'd be excused for thinking that they're not even reading the same rules. The Etihad games yesterday and today were a particularly stark contrast with Saints & Demons players getting forever to get rid of the ball and rarely being penalised for dropping/throwing the ball, as opposed to Roos & Eagles players getting no latitude whatsoever for incorrect disposals or dragging the ball in.

The umpires also seemed to have forgotten the rule about sliding at a players legs. On Friday night and again yesterday I saw players dive in and get rewarded with a high contact free when the decision should've gone against them for diving at the legs.

Three distinct groups IMO:

Crows
Swans
Giants
Eagles
Dogs
Cats

Hawks
Demons
Power
Pies
Bombers
Tigers

Saints
Lions
Dockers
Suns
Blues
Roos

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an Eagles supporter, saw a few comments this week about how the Eagles had only won one first round game away from home since 2006 - then looked into the past 10 years and saw that context matters; pretty much every year they performed in the first round roughly around where they final ladder position would expect (ie. losing to Brisbane in the year that we got the wooden spoon, losing to the Bulldogs when they ended up being a finalist that were extremely close to make the semis, that sort of thing).

The win makes me excited for what could be at the end of the year - 22 weeks to go before finals, but a great start, especially given there's room for improvement (getting players like Barass, Duggan and Sheed back into the team).

Also, impressed with Port Adelaide's ability to get a rare win from Sydney in Sydney, and Collingwood had some good effort on Friday despite losing. Good first up effort by Brisbane to beat a team that still looks good on paper but somehow keeps finding ways to lose.

Three distinct groups IMO:

Crows
Swans
Giants
Eagles
Dogs
Cats

Hawks
Demons
Power
Pies
Bombers
Tigers

Saints
Lions
Dockers
Suns
Blues
Roos

Harsh on the saints they're clearly in the middle group and I think still a better side than pies/bombers/tigers/port

Also would personally put west coast in the middle group too, they're good and probably will be in the top group by seasons end but not just yet.

Otherwise a good reflection of the comp

3 distinct groups, and you get that from 1 round of football? Big call after just 1/23rd of the season.

That being said, I'd say it's pretty much around the mark.

The exact order of each group of 6 (and therefore the overall ladder) may be slightly different come the end of the H&A season, but I'd be surprised if any teams are sitting outside of their allocated third at season's end, based on the lists they have available.

That being said, I'd say it's pretty much around the mark.

The exact order of each group of 6 (and therefore the overall ladder) may be slightly different come the end of the H&A season, but I'd be surprised if any teams are sitting outside of their allocated third at season's end, based on the lists they have available.
Ehh, I don't think it's that clear-cut.

I think there's five teams right now that are significantly below the rest: Brisbane, GC, Carlton, Freo and North. The remaining 13 sides it's harder to tell where they sit in and among the collective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back