Autopsy Things you learnt: Sydney v Bulldogs (may include melting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought towers was great an played a good game, heeney who I love offered less than 0 he was actually -1 on the day, towers actually has a great deal of skill, the ability to get his hands free whenever he gets tackled is pretty awesome an he really put in on the weekend, I can name 15 players worse than him on the weekend
Towers irritates me because if he thinks he won't get to the opposition ball carrier he plods along thus putting zero pressure on the kick. Where is the intensity

We lost by a goal and missed chances. Watch the media tonight and you'd think we had lost by a 100. Clearly didn't play our best but not that far off it.

Midfield needs to improve in the contested possession count. Do that and we can beat Geelong.

-Centre clearances was a major grievance on the day and a replay has only reinforced that. Clearly a structural problem and has been for so long, so the midfield/stoppage coach needs to pull the finger out and do something or go somewhere else, because a midfield of Kennedy, Parker, Mitchell, Hannebery etc. being so far down on centre clearances is unexceptionable. When we do win it's a rushed bomb, the opposition somehow find a runner and clear in a much more meaningful way. It's a joke it's been going on for so long and the mids coach hasn't sorted it out, either that or the players are so inexplicably dumb they're not listening to the instructions properly (but if that were the case they wouldn't be getting a game).

-While Towers made some bad errors, harsh to lay this one on him - at least he had a go and got involved. So many other passengers who offered less than nothing. A lot of players are either not up to it or horribly out of form in a month where they simply can't be if we're going to put ourselves in a position to do anything this year.
Rohan after playing well and staying involved in his first few games back has reverted back to flash in the pan/tease moments. Played so well early, to finish only 7 touches and 2 tackles (regardless of being moved into defence) is quite poor. Needs to get more involved and take the game on again like he did in his first couple games. Don't have anyone else with his skill-set so he needs to stay in the seniors for now, but a few more games like this and he should be back n the 2's.
Heeney really just needs a run in the 2's, have a run around get 20+ touches and a goal or 2. Just a week to get some confidence back.
McGlynn played well early in the year but has dropped away lately, needs to find form in the seconds (maybe gets a reprieve this week to save bulk changes, getting Heeney some confidence and up and going is vital for any chance of top 4 which might save Benny for a week).
Sinclair/Nankervis offered nothing up forward. Buddy has to have someone who can help take the load. Reid looks the only help in sight, but he's probably still 3 weeks away at best case scenario. Don't know what the answer is here, hope to god one of the 2 rucks can do something or try Naismith out, who probably only in his 2nd game won't offer much more.

- Basic errors kill us and some of our players seriously need to start learning from their own errors.
Lloyd, having a reasonable year and nowhere near getting dropped but honestly how many stupid kicks back into the corridor on top the opposition forward 50 to a teammate in traffic has he made this year. At least 3 very costly ones from memory, always at a crucial time when we're in control.
Rampe coming out of the back pocket trying to kick 70m to a teammate on the lead, ball falls 10m short straight to the opposition player in perfect position, understand your kicking limitations. A lot of our defenders seem to have delusions about their own kicking precision.
Dumbs bombs out of defence, straight to opposition players set because all our forwards in in defence. This has been our setup for ages either the setup has to change or our players have to stop being so stupid and realise where their teammates actually are.

We lost by a goal and missed chances. Watch the media tonight and you'd think we had lost by a 100. Clearly didn't play our best but not that far off it.

Midfield needs to improve in the contested possession count. Do that and we can beat Geelong.

2 games lost by a kick after the siren in a even year where its difficult beating top 8 teams away from home is going to kill us.

2 games lost by a kick after the siren in a even year where its difficult beating top 8 teams away from home is going to kill us.
It's always difficult beating top 8 teams away from home. Given the tightness of the top 8 it's not improbable a team out of the top 4 can win. Throw in that all teams have a rest between the end of the home and away and the finals.

Its all the anti swans s**t that gets me. Gerard and huddo are the only ones i can listen to now without wanting to put my fist through the tv

Anti-Swans s**t from b-grade commentators doesn't bother me.

Anti-swans treatment keeping teams in contention bothers the absolute s**t out of me,

I learnt again simple errors cost games, nanka drops a mark towers drops a mark headed for Parker Sinclair misses a sitter, all when 2 pts up inside last 5 or 6 mins.
We were once great closers, it is one area where our relative youth does seem to cost us

What does seem missing is Jetta around the back of the pack getting the release ball and actually being able to move the possession forward with a little bit of time. As much as his move so far has been disappointing from his own performance it seems key to our get ball kick ball attitude. We need a release player with pace and we don't seem to have one.

I would normally agree with you but i think this loss will cost us a top 4 position , we aren't winning next week then have Hawthorn the following week with a couple of tough games to follow as well.

Such a waste to not finish top 4 in such a open season, i thought we were extremely poor today so many stupid bombs to nothing Dogs waltz out of defence way to easy it took another Franklin performance to get us close.

We wouldn't even be in the 8 without Franklin.

I was right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game seems like a long time ago now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back