Autopsy Things you learnt: Sydney v Bulldogs (may include melting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Towers' problem is still self-confidence, which leads to bafflingly slow decision making or outright panic.

Someone just needs to pull him aside and say: have some more confidence in yourself you stupid idiot.

I admire your persistence in sticking up for this bloke but he is a coach killer. The dropped mark inside 50 late in the game and turnovers at crucial times unfortunately overshadowed the good things that he did do. His effort is there but he is frustrating to watch!

So the default blame goes to Towers for that last one too? Fair enough if that's your style. No argument from me.
I've never been after any admiration, nor am I sticking up for him. He made blunders. Bad ones. But not as bad as the bloke who gets 500K more than Towers does & who kicked the ball away from who it was supposed to go to for a 50m penalty & a goal! BANG! JUST LIKE THAT! Bye................GAME OVER.

Oh wait a minute.............that was Hanners...................OK then ............forgiven.

I am harsher on the blokes whose actions are below those that they are judged by. Towers has his limitations. We all know that. I even said that ages ago but bagging out on the same bloke after a 4 Q game of footy when players with greater reputations are offering less EFFORT.................now remember that word EFFORT, is brainless. Towers offers effort but makes errors. I can live with that. You can't. That's not his fault. The coaches & leaders pick him.

I admire your persistence in expecting week in week out premiership football from a team that in 2016 has blooded some 6 first gamers & every week has consisted of 7-9 players with under 50 games experience. Towers has played 27 by the way.

Looking at the draws coming home, WCE and North have very difficult finishing draws, you'd think this pushes them out of top 4 contention potentially unless they go on massive runs which seem unlikely currently. I think WCE should just concentrate on winning enough games to qualify for the 8 as if Port gets on a run then they'll be knocking on their door.

Next two weeks are crucial for you guys obviously which are huge 8 pointers, but you could win a few after that before a tough game against North in Hobart in R22 IIRC. If you guys win the next 2 then surely you'll finish top 4 then though.

I think Hawthorn and Geelong are well placed for top 4 at the moment, but if Port beat Hawthorn on Thursday then that pushes Hawthorn back a little. Geelong have 3 top 8 clashes against you guys, us and Adelaide but they are all at the Cattery which helps them. Their injury toll is minimal too with Caddy as their most key out currently who isn't really a prime mover anyway.

Adelaide are the form team currently and like Geelong have a minimal injury toll, but they have 1 or 2 tricky fixtures against WCE and Geelong and another Showdown, apart from that they are the next team who are placed well outside of Hawthorn and Geelong imo.

GWS are a wildcard, they just need to improve their away form, tricky games against WCE and North in 2 of the last 3 weeks, but they play Richmond and Collingwood also who they've never beaten before IIRC, while Gold Coast at Metricon with a full strength side could be tricky as what St Kilda found out this week.

We have Geelong and North in rounds 19 and 20, that will sort us out as I'd imagine we might drop 1 or 2 somewhere unexpectedly like this week against Richmond or next week against Gold Coast, though we are winning the games we should win this year unlike last year where we were losing to StK, Melb, BL etc.

I think the top 4 is down to 6 teams looking at the draw, but everyones destiny is in their own hands still which makes this year intriguing. I still think you guys and Hawthorn are the teams to beat as everyone has their flaws and I think yours and Hawthorns are minimal compared to everyone else.

Geelong and Adelaide have had charmed injury runs and don't use many players, are they peaking right now and can they keep fit and fresh for September? Dogs and North have had the most injuries to key players which have hurt them recently, but might have the most upside due to not having played at full strength in a number of weeks. Sydney has upside still with the 3 talls who are out in Reid, Richards and Tippett which will help. GWS are the unknowns, but are very hard to beat at home, but imo they have to finish top 4 for any chance this year. WCE are a shadow of themselves from last year, their midfield in particular are letting themselves down, can they go up a gear though?

I wouldn't be too hard on yourselves from Saturday, if you improve your execution and work harder to retain the footy at the death then you win, just like the Richmond game. Hopefully you guys address this over the upcoming weeks.
I know they say it every year, but this year does feel like the flag could be won from outside the top 4, especially considering there is nothing more than a few dodgy free kicks between 1st and 8th.

So the default blame goes to Towers for that last one too? Fair enough if that's your style. No argument from me.
I've never been after any admiration, nor am I sticking up for him. He made blunders. Bad ones. But not as bad as the bloke who gets 500K more than Towers does & who kicked the ball away from who it was supposed to go to for a 50m penalty & a goal! BANG! JUST LIKE THAT! Bye................GAME OVER.

Oh wait a minute.............that was Hanners...................OK then ............forgiven.

I am harsher on the blokes whose actions are below those that they are judged by. Towers has his limitations. We all know that. I even said that ages ago but bagging out on the same bloke after a 4 Q game of footy when players with greater reputations are offering less EFFORT.................now remember that word EFFORT, is brainless. Towers offers effort but makes errors. I can live with that. You can't. That's not his fault. The coaches & leaders pick him.

I admire your persistence in expecting week in week out premiership football from a team that in 2016 has blooded some 6 first gamers & every week has consisted of 7-9 players with under 50 games experience. Towers has played 27 by the way.

I will respond respectfully, to make it clear I am not blaming him, I can't fault his effort, and in fact I acknowledged his good play if you actually bothered to read my post.

I can live with his errors, I honestly don't get what you're getting so worked up about, this is the game thread and people are just discussing key incidents from the game.

Which game was that ?
Didn't look much at WCE ethier

I was sitting high in the Subi stands for the WC/Hawk QF last year and Sinclair was just about the most dominant big man on the ground, clunking big pack marks. I thought to myself 'If Jetta wants to go we could do a lot worse than this guy'.

Unfortunately I've yet to see him replicate anything like that dominance since. I guess the numbers he put up a few weeks later in the GF were a warning sign...

I agree with your gist here Ted but jeez louise, don't have a snarky go at RW just because he has a different opinion to you. He didn't have a go at you, I reckon you should show him the same courtesy.

On to Towers; You have to agree that watching Towers has been frustrating right? He has that "almost" tag on him where I can see what he could provide and compare it to what he does provide and can't help but be a little critical of his progression. Unlike Hanners, you pretty much don't know what you are going to get with Towers possession to possession. 80% of the time you know basically what you are going to get from Hanners. That is the reason Hanners isn't criticized as much, he delivers more often, more consistently, to a very very high standard.

We all would love Towers to start developing into a best 22 player and cement his spot. No-one wants to see a player of ours fail or not live up to their potential. RW isn't bagging him out, merely pointing out the frustrations that I think most of us have with Towers at the moment. If our hearts jumped into our mouths whenever Hanners went near it we'd be saying the same thing about him too.

I agree with your gist here Ted but jeez louise, don't have a snarky go at RW just because he has a different opinion to you. He didn't have a go at you, I reckon you should show him the same courtesy.

Thanks mate but you don't have to defend me, it's cool.

Yeah I know (your the one with the big stick around here after all). Just annoyed me and I was going to post about Towers anyway.

No worries but I agree with you about us being more willing to overlook errors by senior players like Hanners because of the work he puts in. I thought it was a bad call by the ump by the way to pay 50 when at the ground we weren't even sure which way the free kick had gone, but that wasn't why we lost as we still fought back to reclaim the lead after that.

And I'm not going to use my big stick on Tedeski because he is a better poster than that and provides much needed (IMO) balance to the board.

No worries but I agree with you about us being more willing to overlook errors by senior players like Hanners because of the work he puts in. I thought it was a bad call by the ump by the way to pay 50 when at the ground we weren't even sure which way the free kick had gone, but that wasn't why we lost as we still fought back to reclaim the lead after that.
It was a terrible decision to kick it back. 50m all day long IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it was a bad call by the ump by the way to pay 50 when at the ground we weren't even sure which way the free kick had gone....

The ump clearly had his arm outstretched, so it was pretty clear which way the free kick had gone. Hanners just had a brain fart and gave the ump no option.

But, what the free kick was actually for, is another story altogether...

It was a terrible decision to kick it back. 50m all day long IMO

Probably right but at the time I gave him the benefit of the doubt, for a split second I actually understood what Hawks fans felt in the 2012 grand final when Mitchell got penalised 50m for not giving the ball straight back and McVeigh goaled. It's a harsh penalty but everyone knows the rule, so I guess the players just have to deal with it.

Probably right but at the time I gave him the benefit of the doubt, for a split second I actually understood what Hawks fans felt in the 2012 grand final when Mitchell got penalised 50m for not giving the ball straight back and McVeigh goaled. It's a harsh penalty but everyone knows the rule, so I guess the players just have to deal with it.
Reported. Hawk lover

Yep. Free kicks happen. 50m Penalties are often an over the top penalty for their crime IMO. This was one of those times.

None-the-less, Hanners has put in as good an EFFORT across the last few seasons than anyone else IMO and deserves the benefit of the doubt none-the-less. If he starts giving away 50m penalties game in game out then perhaps it's something we should all start to raise however 1 contentious free against isn't a reason to criticize him anymore than Towers' dropped mark late IMO. Not when you weigh up their impact across the whole game.

Towers however has had 2 fantastic weeks and deserves some praise. I feel like he has realized this is it & it's his time to step up and earn a spot. I hope he maintains this trajectory the next few weeks.

Rohan 7 disposals
Heeney 4 disposals
McGlynn 9 disposals
Rose 13 disposals
Hewett 15 disposals

Towers 21 disposals

Heeney made less mistakes because he had the ball 17 times less.
Sinclair? Why does he get a free pass off everyone here. He has been stinking it up

edit: 7 touches.

I will respond respectfully, to make it clear I am not blaming him, I can't fault his effort, and in fact I acknowledged his good play if you actually bothered to read my post.

I can live with his errors, I honestly don't get what you're getting so worked up about, this is the game thread and people are just discussing key incidents from the game.

Why the assumption I'm getting worked up?
Just discussing. That's all. I fully respect your view RW.
I need to learn to post with less words.

I know they say it every year, but this year does feel like the flag could be won from outside the top 4, especially considering there is nothing more than a few dodgy free kicks between 1st and 8th.
With the week off after R23 perhaps the finals dynamic changes also

With the week off after R23 perhaps the finals dynamic changes also
Definitely changes for the Swans - our record coming off the bye is appalling (see: SCG last Saturday), unless we play Geelong. Having a week off before finals is the last thing we need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back