Review Things you remember about 1999 Premiership Year

Remove this Banner Ad

In 1999 my daughter was 3 years old and was beginning to show an interest in football. She would sit beside me when North were on TV (which was a regular thing back then) and watch the game, and watch me watching the game, asking questions, sometimes at inopportune times, but I was happy because she was showing an interest the Roos.
Grand Final week and we went down to Melbourne at the invitation of a couple of friends (Both Essendon supporters - Oh the Joy!!) who we stayed with for the week. We visited the Melbourne Zoo, a couple of other Melbourne attractions and Arden Street where I brought her a North Melbourne Jersey and Cap.
On Grand Final day we sat with our Essendon Friends and Jules had the #15 painted on her cheek, and we cheered our guys when they came on the ground and whenever we scored a goal. Our Essendon Friends were a little quiet, but they were happy that North won instead of the dreaded Carlton.
Overall a thoroughly enjoyable the day and more importantly my daughter became a lifelong North Supporter. As enjoyable as it is seeing your team win when you are a child, the emotion of your team winning it when your old enough to understand the importance is powerful, and I hope she gets to experience that in the coming years.

To be honest, I found my reaction to '99 kind of disappointed myself. Don't get me wrong, I loved it and soaked it all up. I've watched the game dozens of times. But in '96 and that other one two years later I couldn't sleep before or after (for different reasons). 1996 was incredible. But in 1999 it was more about redemption and getting back to par. We played an opponent who were lucky to be there and probably just happy to be there. I fully expected to smack them. And we didn't really. We did enough to win easily but not much more. It wasn't a great game. I'd love another day like that in 2019 but it's a distant second as my best day as a NMFC fan. (Third is a fair way back too)

Watching from a shack in the bush with a Carlton supporter who knew all day they were gone. Kind of a let down in some ways cos of that, but not really. he had no fight in him and neither did the Blues.

I'll never forget the game vs Port earlier in the year tho.

What a cracking game. The lead changed about 150 times in the last quarter. After the game I knew we were gonna win the flag that year.

That game was incredible - the side's will to win was so strong. They would not be denied. I want to see that this year.

that year inspired me to start playing footy again, in my 30s (for a dodgy bush club in the worst league in the country, but it was still fun.)

To be honest, I found my reaction to '99 kind of disappointed myself. Don't get me wrong, I loved it and soaked it all up. I've watched the game dozens of times. But in '96 and that other one two years later I couldn't sleep before or after (for different reasons). 1996 was incredible. But in 1999 it was more about redemption and getting back to par. We played an opponent who were lucky to be there and probably just happy to be there. I fully expected to smack them. And we didn't really. We did enough to win easily but not much more. It wasn't a great game. I'd love another day like that in 2019 but it's a distant second as my best day as a NMFC fan. (Third is a fair way back too)

That ‘flat’ attitude was evident at the top of the Sth Stand during the last quarter with salty Blues fans making comments about the lack of joy pre siren

I think the thirst is back for our next tilt

To say that the highlight of the past 20 years was the Jason McCartney Game says a lot about our on field performances

Same here. I think that for many of us the football side of our persona was traumatised by what happened the year before, so at the time, a common reaction to the 99 win was "thank f*** we fixed that". Pure relief. It felt like it got us back to even, nothing more. And we had expected the boys to manage that outcome for 12 months.

But since then, I have appreciated it more. Far more. The steely resolve throughout the club following the 98 disaster is something we can be proud of. They went about re-claiming their rightful position in a professional and effective manner, and unequivocally cemented NMFC as the Team of the 90s.

Same here. I think that for many of us the football side of our persona was traumatised by what happened the year before, so at the time, a common reaction to the 99 win was "thank f*** we fixed that". Pure relief. It felt like it got us back to even, nothing more. And we had expected the boys to manage that outcome for 12 months.

But since then, I have appreciated it more. Far more. The steely resolve throughout the club following the 98 disaster is something we can be proud of. They went about re-claiming their rightful position in a professional and effective manner, and unequivocally cemented NMFC as the Team of the 90s.

The year before meaning 97?

Was five years old and watched it on telly at my grandma's house. All I remember is the blue and white streamers/balloons she put up for grand final week.

The game itself - most of those memories are of rewatching the VHS/DVDs.

The idea of North winning a flag is so alien, foreign and incomprehensible to me. You might as well be describing another universe.

You lot miss winning - I don't even know what it is!

Yes. Collingwood had the same script - but an even closer GF loss - in 2002 and backed up by getting completely thumped. I know Lions 03 was a far better side than Carlton 99, but they weren't so bad the game was a gimme. Most favourites who lose out on expected flags don't recover so successfully.

Was five years old and watched it on telly at my grandma's house. All I remember is the blue and white streamers/balloons she put up for grand final week.

The idea of North winning a flag is so alien, foreign and incomprehensible to me. You might as well be describing another universe.

You wouldn't have a lot of time for the "we won the flag but I was still disappointed" perspective?

Was five years old..........

Christ I feel old. I was 31 and still drunk from us being such a powerhouse for the bulk of the decade. Off to the Grumpy Old Therapy thread I go with my soggy biscuit and cup of tea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Christ I feel old. I was 31 and still drunk from us being such a powerhouse for the bulk of the decade. Off to the Grumpy Old Therapy thread I go with my soggy biscuit and cup of tea.
Yeah tell me about it. I was 69 when we won the 99 Flag. :stern look

I can't speak for the 70s but feel sorry for our supporters who missed the 90s avalanche.

The way the side went from down and out to the most exciting thing in the league inside a few months - then most importantly parlayed that excitement into sustained success was something else. It's hard to convey how big Carey's profile and even Corey's for a short time was at the time too. We were a genuine power side, the feeling each season was vastly different to the couple of top 4 attacks in 2014-15.

There were Nike and Gatorade ads just featuring Wayne talking about North and the game not to mention the "Wayne Carey is the Rooboy" ads too.

If we didn't have the pinheads running the joint at the time that we did it really could've shored us off-field up big-time.

There were Nike and Gatorade ads just featuring Wayne talking about North and the game not to mention the "Wayne Carey is the Rooboy" ads too.

If we didn't have the pinheads running the joint at the time that we did it really could've shored us off-field up big-time.

..........in a different time.............

Using every last cent I had in the world to pay for a room in the only Eastern Canadian hotel that carried the game.

The TV in my room kicking the bucket an hour before the start of the game.

Using every last iota of charm I had to talk the manager down from calling the RCMP after being a fraction..."animated"... in my demand that someone was woken up at 1am to change rooms.

The kindness of the (VERY) comely Canadian lass* who agreed to "change rooms"

* Needless to say, I prefer '99 to '96

Remove this Banner Ad

Back