Review Things you remember about 1999 Premiership Year

Remove this Banner Ad

In 1999 I went to live in Japan and missed the last two thirds of the year - watching only via imported newspapers and some friends updates.

However - come finals time I was thrilled to learn that Tokyo had its on AFL club house - The Tokyo Goannas !!!

GF day turned into one of my greatest days as I was able to get tickets to a GF day event at the club house;)

The event started early with replays of every North Final , all you could eat and drink beers.

Word at the time was that the ‘tapes” ffs were to be flown directly from Melbourne on a QANTAS flight and delivered direct to the club for a delayed viewing!!

It was so exciting all day with win after win and the to see the tapes enter the club house held high above the delivery persons head to the theme song!

Of course the rest is history and I was left to catch the last train home to my stop - stop 46 on a last train stopping all stations service- totally drunk aaa skunk and getting told off by a few Japanese for my unsightly behaviour!

It was a day to remember and I getting a shiver just recalling it!

I was so proud to be a North fan, a Victorian and so proud of the AFL on that day.

I remember writing to Wayne Jackson complaining about the medal and cup presentation being cut on Sevens coverage. They went to the news and we didn't see the full presentation. They were effectively throwing the medals out from the stage and no lap of honour. The AFL hated us winning the gold one. So I wrote and told Jackson (politely) what an insult to our club the presentation was (on TV) and how he must have hated handing us the gold cup. About a week later my letter came back in the mail with "I don't respond to conspiracy theories" hand written at the bottom of my letter.

Any premiership is a magic time in your life and I have savoured every one. 1999 was fantastic as I thought we had the best team of the 90s but needed another premiership to support me.

18 years ago - cannot believe it was almost 20 years ago. Come on North - we are due.

I remember writing to Wayne Jackson complaining about the medal and cup presentation being cut on Sevens coverage. They went to the news and we didn't see the full presentation. They were effectively throwing the medals out from the stage and no lap of honour. The AFL hated us winning the gold one. So I wrote and told Jackson (politely) what an insult to our club the presentation was (on TV) and how he must have hated handing us the gold cup. About a week later my letter came back in the mail with "I don't respond to conspiracy theories" hand written at the bottom of my letter.

Any premiership is a magic time in your life and I have savoured every one. 1999 was fantastic as I thought we had the best team of the 90s but needed another premiership to support me.

18 years ago - cannot believe it was almost 20 years ago. Come on North - we are due.

1999-2009 is ten years
2009-2019 is twenty years

So this year is the 20th Anniversary and a likely Reunion?

Am I doing the Maths dumb?

After the Grand Final as the team were running around the ground soaking up the adulation of the North supporters, I gave a very sweaty Adam Simpson a congratulatory hug. He thanked me for coming and I said, ‘My pleasure!’ :D

After the year prior’s debacle I decided I’d make sure I got to every North game in ‘99, including all interstate games. Often found myself staying in the same hotel as the players and often boarding the bus to the long term carpark with a few. I became a witness to the rort that was Arch’s phone going off onboard the return flight from Perth post the Freo win, leading to the AFL fining us $20k. What an utter disgrace that was, all caused by an over zealous male Ansett Steward.

The fact ‘99 ended with Roodemption v Carltank was a magnificent full stop to what was one hell of a year for us North fans, particularly those stupid enough to pay thousands to get to every game.

Loved the interactions with the players on the trips and have nothing but fond memories of the year from a footy perspective. Outside of footy was a starkly contrasting experience but that’s for another board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a great GF day it was. I turned 16 the Tuesday after the grand final so it doubles as my 16th party. Had about 5 mates over to watch the game along with other family and neighbours. The olds allowed us to devour a few cold ones which resulted in me not remembering much of the 2nd half.

Come 10 that night and about to get my L plates that week I wanted to show off my skills to the boys driving mums car up and down the driveway. Well that was a bad idea as I managed to kanga hop (no pun intended) in reverse about 5 meters backwards. That in itself wasn't such a bad thing but the fact the door was open was. By the time the car had stopped the door was bent backwards along the front panel after collecting a large bush, mum was crying and I was in the doghouse.

The party went on and all was forgiven a few weeks later and I get reminded of that incident pretty regularly when the boys get together for a drink.

After the year prior’s debacle I decided I’d make sure I got to every North game in ‘99, including all interstate games. Often found myself staying in the same hotel as the players and often boarding the bus to the long term carpark with a few. I became a witness to the rort that was Arch’s phone going off onboard the return flight from Perth post the Freo win, leading to the AFL fining us $20k. What an utter disgrace that was, all caused by an over zealous male Ansett Steward.

The fact ‘99 ended with Roodemption v Carltank was a magnificent full stop to what was one hell of a year for us North fans, particularly those stupid enough to pay thousands to get to every game.

Loved the interactions with the players on the trips and have nothing but fond memories of the year from a footy perspective. Outside of footy was a starkly contrasting experience but that’s for another board.

How much filthiness about 98 drive the boys on in 99 TT?

Was it ever mentioned or was like it the elephant in the room?

Remember the 1999 grannie well, in a remote area in the mountains near the Thai-Burma border, was looking after a friends kid and I left him swimming in a pond for 3 hours while I angled the radio to get a Radio Australia signal. Just lucky the little fella survived as I think I just looked to see how he was doing at quarter breaks. Ended up jumping into the pond myself when the flag was ours.

So, reading this correctly - it wasn't a conspiracy theory given he gave you a response.

and that is why the AFL hates us.

How much filthiness about 98 drive the boys on in 99 TT?

Was it ever mentioned or was like it the elephant in the room?

It was mentioned plenty of times Gifo and I suspect it did add that drive a champion side requires to avoid complacency. They were livid! It also helped that we had such a gun side with blokes like Winnie, Byron and Pykie in full flight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back