Review Things you remember about 1999 Premiership Year

Remove this Banner Ad

About 15 of us did the car park bbq before the game. Was supremely confident we would win, no nerves whatsoever unlike '96. Carlton had played their GF a week earlier and weren't going to fluke it 2 weeks in a row. We were in party mode before the game even started, drinking and smoking bongs in the car etc. Remember telling my mates we better go in now 20 minutes before the first bounce.

Besides scuffing up Careys hair on the lap of honor I also remember seeing some Carlton players at Crown at 2.00am on the Sunday morning. They were still grumpy. Pissed, but grumpy. As for me, I was happy, pissed but happy.

...wonder how they were traveling when the salary cap rorts were exposed and their whole era was smudged, and set their club back a decade or more

Besides scuffing up Careys hair on the lap of honor I also remember seeing some Carlton players at Crown at 2.00am on the Sunday morning. They were still grumpy. Pissed, but grumpy. As for me, I was happy, pissed but happy.

Must be a record

Two likes in a week

Everybody lubbb KT

Good and bad memories.
Good... we won!
Bad, my brother taking his girlfriend to the game instead of me (corporate seats). They lasted another few weeks, and no, she had no idea about AFL, nor NMFC. Shattered, and never forgiven him for it. arsehole in so many respects, and this just shows it!

Big year.

I left my ex in April - bound to happen, really, since her less-than-understanding reaction to the 1998 GF. I moved out, lived on my own for a while, and the increasingly awesome season after bumpy start seemed to mirror my state of mind.

Got together with my currect footy-loving partner, who was the one who told me not to give up on Grand Final tickets despite just being a regular club member, but to head to the MCG and join the queue. Arrived just in time to see the queue dispersing with tickets to come back the next morning, got my queue ticket, and next day picked up a ticket to the game that was called "restricted viewing" but was a completely sensational three rows from the front near the cheer squad.

I will remember all my life hearing that * PF result on the Saturday after North had beaten Brisbane on the Friday night. The R17 (?) game had been the best I'd ever seen (still is) and I couldnt see how * could be beaten, and suddenly, blessedly, they were out of the frame.

I stopped and cried in the car when I heard on the radio that Longmire would be playing.

I was living in a flat in South Yarra and walked to the MCG for the GF, with my brand new #35 (bought that morning and ironed on) barely staying on the back of my footy jumper.

Not so great but all part of the memory, Beauty and the Beatz at Arden St the next day.

1999 was a great year for our footy club.

I agree that it was nowhere near as magical as 96, but I always knew we would win after the disappointment of the previous year.

Grand Final week, he media were all over Carlton's comeback win over Essendon and deservedly so, I was at that game and until this day, it was the best non North game of footy I've ever seen. Shane Crawford was the unbackable favourite for the Brownlow and he took Charlie home on the night. I never thought he was capable of delivering a speech like he did that night.

I felt for Jason McCartney. His brain fade in getting himself suspended in the Prelim during junk time, Stevo's knee injury - will he or won't he play or will Pagan play The Horse. I was more confident of Stevo playing, as Pagan had played McKernan in the 96 GF whom was also under an injury cloud. But, I so wanted Longmire to finish his career as a premiership player, after the disappointment of missing out in 96 with his knee injury.

After, we won, I remember congratulating the players as they did their lap of honour, and heading over to the tennis centre for more celebrations, and then back to Arden St the following day..

We were a bloody good footy team that year, and I feel we never deserved the credit for being premiers, it was more about Essendon losing the prelim to Carlton. Would we have had beaten Essendon in the GF? Who knows, they couldn't beat Carlton in a prelim?

My most vivid memory is of the Preliminary Final Saturday afternoon and sitting dejected on the turf at Elsternwick Park after having just lost an Amo’s Grand Final. Dejection quickly turned to great expectations for the Kangas after hearing the Blues beat *. The rest as they say is history!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My most vivid memory is of the Preliminary Final Saturday afternoon and sitting dejected on the turf at Elsternwick Park after having just lost an Amo’s Grand Final. Dejection quickly turned to great expectations for the Kangas after hearing the Blues beat *. The rest as they say is history!

I played in a winning vafa gf that day albeit F section. This began the greatest month of my teen years. Got tickets to the gf the following day, partied like it was 1999 with my premiership brothers in the lead up to our win and won a $3k raffle. An 18 year old with that sort of cash is a dangerous thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember going back to the MCG on Saturday morning to queue up for grand final tickets. I was number 41 in the queue. I was queuing until Sunday morning. The * were playing Carl tank that afternoon. My memory was the change in mood and laughter when Carl tank won.
Some time after the game the weakest of humans Murphy was going to his car and he copped a mouthful from must of the North people didn’t he told us to get f.... .

Also there was a queue bigger than the north queue from the * supporters queuing for gf tickets. By gees that queue disappeared quickly after the game. They also had plenty of advice

Last edited:
I'll never forget 1999. I made it my mission to hum Prince's song "1999" at least once, but no more than twice, every single day for the year. And on the eve of the millennium, I found myself at an altar in Vegas about to marry some young lass I met the day before (her name escapes me now). But little did I know she was expecting, and her water broke just as we were about to exchange vowels. God bless her sole.

1999, was one of the few years I ashamedly didn’t purchase a NM membership.
Main reason was a 4 month trip to Europe with the mrs.

During the entire finals series, I was on a small island called Zakynthos, Greece
A couple of our finals games were on at 7 am, Greek time.
I found an Internet cafe, but they didn’t open till 10 ( standard Greek trading hours)
I pleaded with the owner to open earlier for me, he wasn’t happy but he loved my passion
I ordered heaps of frapes and ham and cheese croissants as a token of appreciation

Anyway, fly back to Australia on PF day, travelling listening to Carlton Essendon.
Rapt Carlton won, but bittersweet as my chances of attending the big day were remote almost impossible.
Sunday morning wake up, to a knock on the door
Tony from next door.
Hardly said a word to tony in 8 years, very aloof, smart arse not an engaging chap
But, a north man!!
I answer door, hi Tony what’s up?
“I thought you might want a couple of these, wasn’t sure if you managed anything while you were away”

I open the envelope to find 2 standing room tickets. I’m in deep shock

Tony I don’t know what to say, I’m truly thankful

Just give me a hundred bucks ( not sure exact amount but face value)

Since that day it’s still only hello , goodbye, he’s not interested in talking footy, let alone going to a game together

Strange cat old tony , but massive respect from me

Ps, Tony if you’re on BF I do like you, but loosen up brother

1999, was one of the few years I ashamedly didn’t purchase a NM membership.
Main reason was a 4 month trip to Europe with the mrs.

During the entire finals series, I was on a small island called Zakynthos, Greece
A couple of our finals games were on at 7 am, Greek time.
I found an Internet cafe, but they didn’t open till 10 ( standard Greek trading hours)
I pleaded with the owner to open earlier for me, he wasn’t happy but he loved my passion
I ordered heaps of frapes and ham and cheese croissants as a token of appreciation

Anyway, fly back to Australia on PF day, travelling listening to Carlton Essendon.
Rapt Carlton won, but bittersweet as my chances of attending the big day were remote almost impossible.
Sunday morning wake up, to a knock on the door
Tony from next door.
Hardly said a word to tony in 8 years, very aloof, smart arse not an engaging chap
But, a north man!!
I answer door, hi Tony what’s up?
“I thought you might want a couple of these, wasn’t sure if you managed anything while you were away”

I open the envelope to find 2 standing room tickets. I’m in deep shock

Tony I don’t know what to say, I’m truly thankful

Just give me a hundred bucks ( not sure exact amount but face value)

Since that day it’s still only hello , goodbye, he’s not interested in talking footy, let alone going to a game together

Strange cat old tony , but massive respect from me

Ps, Tony if you’re on BF I do like you, but loosen up brother

A BF poster that is on this Board that is aloof, a smart arse and disengaging? Not on this Board.:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back