Things You Were Wrong About

How can it be weak when it's been a very even season? Even the bottom teams have had ok seasons, that means it's more of a feat to finish top. That line of thinking makes no sense.

It can make sense. If all the top teams are mediocre, then it can be both an even and a weak season.

I think what people really mean by "weak season" is "no real standouts". And that's probably true. It feels very different to, say, Geelong circa 2007 where it felt that nobody was within a bull's roar of them.

Good thread this

I was wrong about.......

Jake Kelly becoming a best 22 player
David Mackay standing tall
I didn't think Eddie would be this good in year 4
Kyle Hartigan dominating a final
And whilst I thought he would be good, I didn't think Matt Crouch would be this good.

The only obvious thing I thought wrong was Milera cementing his spot this year. Didn't see the likes of Greenwood/Knight to surpass him for preferred inclusion.

I just wanted to say we all have good reasons for thinking this and that, but the biggest mistake you can make as a fan is to not allow yourself to enjoy when the team is playing to the theme of universal respect. Sure, we haven't won the ultimate success as yet, but sometimes when our team is playing well it's ok to sit back and have a few smiles once in awhile of where we've come from in recent years.

I think - and it's possibly for the first time in their careers - that both Douglas and Mackay have a steely resolve about them now. I'm sure they've always tried hard and are good honest clubmen but I think they've now both done 10 or more years with us, have seen how hard it is to have real success, have seen their careers teeter at times and now (finally) are *desperate* for success. Seeing Dougie take that mark and cop a whack and then go back a kick a pressure goal and seeing Mackay put Shiel on his bum was bloody magic!
Spot on , nicely put !

Jake Kelly has really surprised me, I didn't bank on him playing a game.

Now he's a lock of potentially a premiership side. Surely Cheney only gets retained on a cheap contract or he's done.

Not only playing but near on dominating. Bar one spoil he was faultless last night. Top 5 on the ground. After his early season form, I never thought it would be the case; might look back and see that time off with a hammie as a positive.

I was right off of Hartigan at the start of the season. Soooo many clangers.

Thought Lever would not even entertain returning to Victoria. Whoops.

Thought Menzel would come up, hasn't at all.

Expected Milera to be a jet this year. Quite stagnated.

Expected Cameron to take the next step. Has not, maybe took a step backwards.

Expected Doedee to get a few games in 2017.

Hoped Greenwood would play, but never thought he'd perform like he has.

Didn't imagine Keath actually becoming an AFL standard player, but he appears well on the way.

Didn't think Douglas or Mackay would play like they are right now.

PS - I did believe in our mids though, and nice to see some of the biggest naysayers in here copping it on the chin.

I have a few.

*I genuinely thought Don Pyke had been found out after our spell of average performances. Had us as a possible low finals or even finals miss. Didn't think he'd be able to stop the rot nor implement anything against sides who had found us out.

*I was enormously wrong on Brad Crouch. I felt he was too injury prone to recapture his pre-injuries potential and felt he was potential trade bait. I will confess that I'm hoping I'm not double wrong here but I now firmly believe he will be our best midfielder inside a year (and I include Sloane and Mrouch the record breaker)

*I felt Kelly was a 22-30 player who would have a solid if unfashionable 50-150 game career at this club and possibly others. His improvement has been outstanding

*This one might be touchy so let me clarify. For eons I was pissed off at Sam Jacobs because I always felt he was always the first crow in there laughing and joking with the opposition after a significant loss. I questioned how legitimate his will to win was and whether he had that drive and killer instinct to be the ruckman we needed (I basically questioned whether he had been Clarked). After last night I humbly eat that pie.

*I didn't think we could win a final against a top 4 team (regardless of form) with Douglas, Mackay, Hartigan, Atkins, Cameron, Seedsman, Kelly and Brown as part of the lineup (there's still an enormous amount of water to go under the bridge but all signs are positive)

*I didn't think I could have a bigger man crush on the way Riley Knight plays the game of AFL. I was very wrong

I acknowledge I've been one of the most ardent critics here and I stand by the fact that even now I truly feel the club has made some poor choices (handling of Gibbs) and some incestuous decisions which may well have been the right calls but on the surface had a stink about them (the way the process was handled).

I will say that in my personal opinion anything less than a Grand Final appearance from this position must still be considered a failure given what we are trying to achieve as a football club, but I can also acknowledge that extremely slowly some of the open wounds of yesteryear are starting to heal.

I want to win the flag but just making a grand final for mine will exorcise some of the demons that hang around this football club. If we make it I expect to win because we don't lose Grand finals, but I would take a grand final loss for what it is - an enormous next step in the right direction.

No!

Let's keep it broad.

I bought a 12 pack of Kirks Ginger Beer the other day because it was on special. Thought I'd see what it's like. It SUCKS and the fridge is now full of it. Maybe the plants will like it...
Swap you for some vanilla Pepsi max?
Not that I like ginger beer.

Cripes where to start....

1. Hartigan (though I've been right, then wrong then right, then wrong)
2. Pyke. Thought after our losses to Geelong and Hawks he was a Neil Craig clone with only one plan. He ain't.
3. Lever. Thought he'd captain the club
4. Thought DMack was done when he was dropped
5. Thought Kelly was just good depth
6. Thought Menzel would deserve the number 32
7. Thought CC might play serious minutes in the midfield/wing

Back