Things You Were Wrong About

On The Crouch

Of the Matt variety only
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
After attending the Hawks game on the Thursday night I drafted a lengthy email to Andrew Fagan about how disillusioned I was with club and that I didn't believe we had changed in 20 years and we weren't heading in the right direction on field. It took me about an hour to write, detailing probably about 20 issues I had with the club. However, I believe that Hawks loss was the turning point in our season.

Lucky, I forgot to send the email to Andrew, and we have performed strongly since. Now we are in a Preliminary Final and in a good position to progress to a GF.

I was wrong about a lot of things. I guess that's what happens when you love your club that much, that your emotions get the better of you.

God IsThatYou

Senior List
Aug 3, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think our resident pessimist mod had an endorphin rush sometime after the 7th of september. This thread is triggered a bit early, but in the spirit of the thread, happy to indulge irrespective of how we go from here.

There are plenty things I feel that my opinions have changed on, and it feels great to actually be convinced otherwise. Likewise, it has been great to see the club address many things that us fans have identified. We are a passionate lot, and a passionate club listens to its fans. The Geelong game was a real game changer for me. It was the embodiment of all things us fans felt needed addressing. Now we are just dreaming of where it takes us.

Last year, I wrote something about Pods, and how I felt our defence was extremely poor, especially when exiting, and then how Don had to personally address issues. Many posters on here defended Pods, and i noted it but the jury was still out for me. I actually already apologized for my language.

After seeing how Pods sat next to Smith on thursday, I had a big smile on my face. Really proud of how he handled Brodie, and even better was the show must go on attitude of Brodie.

I thought Cheney was great for us last year, but the development of Jake Kelly and Snake, and the progression of Keath as a rookie has addressed and surpassed any reservations I had about our defence.

Always happy to be convinced otherwise, big tick for PODS in 2017 and the posters who backed him up!!!

Apr 20, 2004
Regional VIC
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Felt we would struggle majorly in the midfield once both CEY and Hampton went down (along with Lyons to GC). Pleasantly surprised at the improvement across the year from both Crouch's and Greenwood in particular. I was completely wrong about Dougie and Mackay also...I wanted them both traded out at various times. As others have posted I was worried about Pyke's ability to get us back on track after the embarrassing losses we had. Not only has he rectified this, he's now given us a few different game plans / tweaks that he can implement. Thursday night was an example - far higher kick to HB ratio than many of our wins, and works much better in finals due to the added pressure. We've now had solid wins over the Cats and GWS with very little impact from our gun forwards, whereas last year we would've likely lost those type of games.

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
Im still worried.. we haven't won anything yet.. #flagorbust

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mid season I thought we would fall out of the top 4 and make up the numbers in the 8 a la port. Still not convinced we'll step up against Sydney when it counts or in the gf if we make it. But the club is definitely in with a serious shot.

I also thought our midfield would struggle more than it has. Matt crouch and Greenwood have been the drivers behind this not happening.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the thread is warranted even if we fall out at the prelim. The team has probably exceeded 90% of people's expectations already. It will be called a failure of we lose next week (and rightly so given the position the club is in) but it doesn't mean that a lot of us weren't wrong about a lot of things.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
No hospital reported anyone coming in suffering the after effects of a dmac bump, must be a mistake.
The new RAH has been swamped by people in glazed-eyes, gibbering shock at witnessing Mackay's bump (mostly May/June posters baying for him to be dropped forever).

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.
After attending the Hawks game on the Thursday night I drafted a lengthy email to Andrew Fagan about how disillusioned I was with club and that I didn't believe we had changed in 20 years and we weren't heading in the right direction on field. It took me about an hour to write, detailing probably about 20 issues I had with the club. However, I believe that Hawks loss was the turning point in our season.

Lucky, I forgot to send the email to Andrew, and we have performed strongly since. Now we are in a Preliminary Final and in a good position to progress to a GF.

I was wrong about a lot of things. I guess that's what happens when you love your club that much, that your emotions get the better of you.
You are not wrong until we win the Prelim. That's the pass mark.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Wow I really rub you the wrong way don't I? Your efforts to troll and respond to my posts is admirable, keep it up bud.
I was going to say "To be fair, he's consistent" until I saw a positive comment he posted and then this ---
Which I was plainly wrong about.
!!! :eek: *keels over, stunned*
followed by a detailed account of why he was wrong. Either
1) sanders' account has been hacked, or
2) his acid tongue is part of a sharper, more clever MO.

I'm leaning towards the latter ...

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I was going to make a list of the things I got wrong, then I remembered being advised to keep my posts brief ;)
So, I was wrong about (sooo many things):
Pyke --- I disliked his much-too-calm and saying "We didn't play like us ...". He's crafty, solid, gets an A from me.
2017 --- did not think we'd be in a poz to contest for the Flag. I picked us to be 2-4 win/loss after first 6 rounds!!! Jeez, how wrong can I get? I believe strongly that whatever we achieve this year we will emulate or better, next year.
CC --- I thought he was going to another level this year. Loss of form is mystifying, must be something we don't know. Looks like his head/heart are elsewhere, tbh.
Crouch Bros Inc --- never expected them to be so good, so soon. They are the success story of the year, with Greenwood.
Sloane --- 2017 Brownlow, until mongrel Brad Scott showed the rest what to do.
Lever --- gone from future Captain to LEAVER. To Melbourne ffs?

Better stop here.

PrideOf

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 17, 2001
Here, obviously
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AFC
GreyCrow said:
Might have to rework the old joke? Whats the best thing about beating Port by 100 points? Beating them by 1.
After the siren. In Extra Time. After they miss 3 shots on goal. From a free kick.

From a known ducker and diver. Like Gray and Wingard.

Added the bold

So did I.

Simmo28

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2014
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was going to make a list of the things I got wrong, then I remembered being advised to keep my posts brief ;)
So, I was wrong about (sooo many things):
Pyke --- I disliked his much-too-calm and saying "We didn't play like us ...". He's crafty, solid, gets an A from me.
2017 --- did not think we'd be in a poz to contest for the Flag. I picked us to be 2-4 win/loss after first 6 rounds!!! Jeez, how wrong can I get? I believe strongly that whatever we achieve this year we will emulate or better, next year.
CC --- I thought he was going to another level this year. Loss of form is mystifying, must be something we don't know. Looks like his head/heart are elsewhere, tbh.
Crouch Bros Inc --- never expected them to be so good, so soon. They are the success story of the year, with Greenwood.
Sloane --- 2017 Brownlow, until mongrel Brad Scott showed the rest what to do.
Lever --- gone from future Captain to LEAVER. To Melbourne ffs?

Better stop here.

I was wrong on CC as well, shame really.
Hope he does leave and sorts himself out at another club.

MCrouch 2017 Brownlow Winner

Back