Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
Yeah, probably not a bad way to go about it. My rough take on it is teaching is pretty good $$$ straight out of university, but as you say, there is very little room for career progression. Doing it for a year or two and seeing if it's for you probably isn't a bad way to go.

Two things - firstly what part of the business sector are you involved with? And second did you have any problems trying to crack into the business industry when you decided to change?

Clokey34

Debutant
Mar 30, 2006
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Certainly very decent pay coming out of uni.

1. Accounting, I'm working and studying part-time finishing at the end of next year.
2. Had a couple of interviews where they were hesitant because of my recent switch, but the people who hired me seemed to see the benefits.

So yeah I'm still very raw but I do prefer the office environment.

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
Certainly very decent pay coming out of uni.

1. Accounting, I'm working and studying part-time finishing at the end of next year.
2. Had a couple of interviews where they were hesitant because of my recent switch, but the people who hired me seemed to see the benefits.

So yeah I'm still very raw but I do prefer the office environment.

Interesting, sounds very similar. Deciding between Accounting and HR as a major. I think HR might be a touch more interesting, but I get the feeling there'd be less opportunities.
Dad was an accountant, and obviously this is going back many years now, but he said straight out of uni accounting was basically auditing, at least at first. Is that what you've found?

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I have a dip ed that I did in 2009 in PE and science but havent taught except for a few weeks of relief. Been working in health and safety. Put my application into the graduate pool to teach next year cos I love teaching sport, 3pm finishes and holidays.

Does anyone know what the job prospects are like for seconday teachers entering the graduate pool for next year, in WA?

When I finished in 2009 there was an excess amount of teachers. Not sure what the go is now.

Cheers

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
What's the pay roughly like for teaching Legal Studies/Accounting/Economics/Business Management units at VCE level?

And would a form of 'educational' degree be a must for this pursuit?

Into my second year of my Law/Business dbl degree and I'm just imagining cruising through teaching, just like my Business teachers did haha. Easy way out.

azreal

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
kingston
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
umpires
I have a dip ed that I did in 2009 in PE and science but havent taught except for a few weeks of relief. Been working in health and safety. Put my application into the graduate pool to teach next year cos I love teaching sport, 3pm finishes and holidays.

Does anyone know what the job prospects are like for seconday teachers entering the graduate pool for next year, in WA?

When I finished in 2009 there was an excess amount of teachers. Not sure what the go is now.

Cheers

At the end of 2009 the half year cohort left primary school so high schools generally only received half of the normal quantity of year 8 students, which is why there was an over supply of high school teachers (as well as other factors, such as some teachers delaying retirement as their nest eggs took a hit in the GFC). That cohort will be in year 11 next year and in the next couple of years, as year 7's move to high school (2015) there will be an undersupply of teachers in high schools. It does depend on where and what you want to teach. If you want a job, go remote.

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Into my second year of my Law/Business dbl degree and I'm just imagining cruising through teaching, just like my Business teachers did haha. Easy way out.

Just want to clarify with the "easy way out" comment.

Didn't mean to disrespect the industry like that, there are some super teachers out there. If you compare it to sitting the bar exam, practicing at a law firm and possibly representing people in court - you can understand where I got that from. I also tennis coach, so instructing and taking control of teenagers comes quite easy to myself.

What's the pay roughly like for teaching Legal Studies/Accounting/Economics/Business Management units at VCE level?

And would a form of 'educational' degree be a must for this pursuit?

It's the same pay for teaching year 7 classes as it is for teaching VCE units (at Government schools, don't know if it's any different with independents). Pay scale is based on years worked, as well as whether you're taking on extra responsibilities as a 'leading teacher'.

Unless it's a massive school with a large VCE contingent, it's very unlikely that that's all you would teach. You'd be looking at some junior level classes as well and it's very unlikely that you'd get Year 12 first year out - for example, in my first year I got Year 11 English, whilst my third year I taught Year 12 Legal Studies. We actually had a teacher arrive this year and go straight into Year 12 Biology, but that's the exception rather than the norm.

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Thanks for the responses people.

Might stick to the direction I was originally heading in. :thumbsu:

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
At the end of 2009 the half year cohort left primary school so high schools generally only received half of the normal quantity of year 8 students, which is why there was an over supply of high school teachers (as well as other factors, such as some teachers delaying retirement as their nest eggs took a hit in the GFC). That cohort will be in year 11 next year and in the next couple of years, as year 7's move to high school (2015) there will be an undersupply of teachers in high schools. It does depend on where and what you want to teach. If you want a job, go remote.

Thanks mate.

Finger crossed.

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
That's not bad, however, of you only worked 1 day per year....

Ive tried to pick up relief this year. So far I've got one day....

Not worth it. So Ive had to get another job in OHS.

Out of the 700 graduates that came out of uni this year, 600 didnt get jobs.

If youre thinking of studying teaching, the uni's will happily take your money and tell you there are jobs, but in reaility there isnt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

alex_is_on_fire

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors NBA Champions

How many schools did you take your teaching pack around to?

It's day 1 of week 5 and we have had TRT's come in everyday bar week 1. Have you joined different reliefs schemes?

I have a mate who only does TRT work and he makes more than I do and I have a 1.0 contract.

If youre thinking of studying teaching, the uni's will happily take your money and tell you there are jobs, but in reaility there isnt.

In South Australia, we have jobs and contracts available but that's only if you're willing to go to the country area.

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
How many schools did you take your teaching pack around to?

It's day 1 of week 5 and we have had TRT's come in everyday bar week 1. Have you joined different reliefs schemes?

I have a mate who only does TRT work and he makes more than I do and I have a 1.0 contract.

In South Australia, we have jobs and contracts available but that's only if you're willing to go to the country area.

Yep went round to heaps of schools, public/private, high school and primary school. All in all, I went to at least 20 schools. And registered with a relief teaching agency. Its so unreliable, Im happy Im in a fulltime job I like now.

Im in WA, btw.

alex_is_on_fire

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Yep went round to heaps of schools, public/private, high school and primary school. All in all, I went to at least 20 schools. And registered with a relief teaching agency. Its so unreliable, Im happy Im in a fulltime job I like now.

Im in WA, btw.

My only suggestion would be to go to low socioeconomic area that find it very hard to find relief teachers.

Not only will you gain more days, you will also find it easier to pick up a contract. That's if you chose to go back to teaching.

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
My only suggestion would be to go to low socioeconomic area that find it very hard to find relief teachers.

Not only will you gain more days, you will also find it easier to pick up a contract. That's if you chose to go back to teaching.

Mate I have gone to pit schools the likes of Mirrabooka, Lockridge, Hampton, John Forrest and Morley....cant get much lower. Nothing.

Teaching: I give up.

The Dept of Education are farrrkinnnn kents here anyway. My missus is a teacher, shes been teaching for 7 years, and still fears for her job at the end of every year, such is the total w*nk with preferential treatment for permanent teachers coming back from the country, maternity leave etc. Some of her stories she tells of preferential treatment to aboriginals who are mayhem to teach and can pretty much do as they please, ar*ehole parents, completely irrational decisions by the department and putting in massive hours of planning and even her own money to buy things that are stolen in her classroom has seen my interest die away.

alex_is_on_fire

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mate I have gone to pit schools the likes of Mirrabooka, Lockridge, Hampton, John Forrest and Morley....cant get much lower. Nothing.

Teaching: I give up.

The Dept of Education are farrrkinnnn kents here anyway. My missus is a teacher, shes been teaching for 7 years, and still fears for her job at the end of every year, such is the total w*nk with preferential treatment for permanent teachers coming back from the country, maternity leave etc. Some of her stories she tells of preferential treatment to aboriginals who are mayhem to teach and can pretty much do as they please, ar*ehole parents, completely irrational decisions by the department and putting in massive hours of planning and even her own money to buy things that are stolen in her classroom has seen my interest die away.

Yep, I know what your saying and agree 100%.

Just luck I've got a contract and the South Australian Government and Department of Education are trying to turn the teachers age around by offering retirement intensives.

$50,000 bonus for burnout teachers who are not willing to upskill with T&D.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

There are jobs but you need to be willing to relocate. In Queensland there are thousands of unemployed teachers in southeast Queensland yet in central Queensland they are desperate for teachers. Funny how teachers are unwilling to relocate to what is basically a one hour flight away.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

If you want to polish off your skills in classroom management...I recommend this.

I went to one of Melbourne's worst areas...got some days in the worst school in that area. WOW what a day. I really earnt the 170 after tax ;)

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
It's an eye opener, good for that, but a relief teacher has a hand tied behind his back no matter what type of school you get. More worthwhile classroom management skill comes when you get your own classes, and seeing as that's not an option until you get one, I'd suggest getting your name with schools that won't kill your enthusiasm. Otherwise, stick with a particular tough school and become part of the furniture - kids recognise the pecking order and status, which is why you can get blue in the face telling kids to do something only to see them knock each other out of the way to comply when a deputy says the same thing, so the more entrenched you are the less crap you take eventually.

Additionally, schools recruit their temp teachers in many cases if they know them, so if your face is always around a school you don't want to be at, that's one you're likely to get! Nothing wrong with wheeling your own barrow where tou want it to go...

alex_is_on_fire

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
It's an eye opener, good for that, but a relief teacher has a hand tied behind his back no matter what type of school you get. More worthwhile classroom management skill comes when you get your own classes, and seeing as that's not an option until you get one, I'd suggest getting your name with schools that won't kill your enthusiasm. Otherwise, stick with a particular tough school and become part of the furniture - kids recognise the pecking order and status, which is why you can get blue in the face telling kids to do something only to see them knock each other out of the way to comply when a deputy says the same thing, so the more entrenched you are the less crap you take eventually.

That's not essentially true. You still need to go into the classroom with a positive mindset and then make sure your own classroom expectations, behavior management standards and ramifications are set out. Then you have to be consistent and stick to it. Other wise, in some school, the students will run a riot.

They like lunch time and recess - every time someone is out of their chair, it';s one minute they stay in. Every time someone talks when you are or they are not paying attention, it's another minute. They will fall into line or they will lose half of their playing time.

Just be consistent and reward them by removing time when they are doing the right thing.

Additionally, schools recruit their temp teachers in many cases if they know them, so if your face is always around a school you don't want to be at, that's one you're likely to get! Nothing wrong with wheeling your own barrow where tou want it to go...

This is true and the more often you're at the same school, the quicker the students will start listening and respecting your instructions and then your days will become much more enjoyable. It's that relationship building thing the text books talk about.

I moved to a new school this year and it's a tough school, now it's very enjoyable and the students are great. Well some. o_O

dancingtocalvin

Draftee
Jun 5, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's not essentially true. You still need to go into the classroom with a positive mindset and then make sure your own classroom expectations, behavior management standards and ramifications are set out. Then you have to be consistent and stick to it. Other wise, in some school, the students will run a riot.

They like lunch time and recess - every time someone is out of their chair, it';s one minute they stay in. Every time someone talks when you are or they are not paying attention, it's another minute. They will fall into line or they will lose half of their playing time.

Just be consistent and reward them by removing time when they are doing the right thing.

This is true and the more often you're at the same school, the quicker the students will start listening and respecting your instructions and then your days will become much more enjoyable. It's that relationship building thing the text books talk about.

I moved to a new school this year and it's a tough school, now it's very enjoyable and the students are great. Well some. o_O
I'd love to be a teacher but i would be pretty stressful I think

Remove this Banner Ad

Back