Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got back from camp at Phillip Island. Staff there were talking about the inevitable closure and cancellation of camps for a period of time. Too many people in and out. Said being a big camp they'd survive but had concerns for smaller ones.
Yea few places like that will be heavily impacted. We have some of our community engagement programs become watch and wait in the last week. We have been told to make resource packs in case they do decide to close schools. I spent the whole day on Friday assisting teachers in making the packs as our students won't be able to access the portal the government is setting up.

I have a 7 year old student who regularly throws tantrums when it's not her turn in a game and when her team is losing in class.

I have been warned by the experienced co teacher to be careful what I say about her to her because she will be telling mummy and daddy about it and then one of those will be heading to the school principal at ten paces furious.

The joys of teaching spoiled brats.

I have a 7 year old student who regularly throws tantrums when it's not her turn in a game and when her team is losing in class.

I have been warned by the experienced co teacher to be careful what I say about her to her because she will be telling mummy and daddy about it and then one of those will be heading to the school principal at ten paces furious.

When parents themselves need to be managed with an individualised learning plan :sweatsmile:

* the parents. They can * off to another school if they don't like your style.

It's too hard dealing with parents in a direct manner about their child because they will simply not believe you or think you aren't doing enough to individually cater every lesson to their child's learning style.

It is too easy for parents to contact principals directly and then you are in their line of fire because they don't want any negative publicity about the school. It's all about results and community reputation at the school I am at in WA.

It's too hard dealing with parents in a direct manner about their child because they will simply not believe you or think you aren't doing enough to individually cater every lesson to their child's learning style.

It is too easy for parents to contact principals directly and then you are in their line of fire because they don't want any negative publicity about the school. It's all about results and community reputation at the school I am at in WA.
Very much like that over here. Managers only care about $$$$.

Now with the closure, my school is turning to Microsoft teams. I'm feeling quite uncomfortable giving a lesson that can be recorded by my students - if they find the button.

Anyone else feeling the same?

Now with the closure, my school is turning to Microsoft teams. I'm feeling quite uncomfortable giving a lesson that can be recorded by my students - if they find the button.

Anyone else feeling the same?
Well I think about the millions that will be without jobs. If we can continue to provide an education in whatever setting, I'll appreciate it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beat them to it, record your own lessons. That'll show'em.
Lesson is already live (video chat) with teams, if they are watching they can record it.
I'm prepared to do it, just a little privacy issue! Don't want a million penis around my head and that being spread! :p

Lesson is already live (video chat) with teams, if they are watching they can record it.
I'm prepared to do it, just a little privacy issue! Don't want a million penis around my head and that being spread! :p
Haha, always a danger - heard of enough cases of students secretly filming teachers in any case :/ is a real concern.

Can Teams do stuff like screencast instead of using a webcam? Ideally you have a 'whiteboard 'instead of a floating head in online teaching, or some shared doc to work in that everyone can see. Much more productive. Video of yourself is nice at times, but distracting if there the whole time.

PS all bigfooty fam: I have a bit of experience teaching online, PM if you wanna chat

Am almost done (in my last semester) with my Bachelor of Arts and have decided to do teaching. I’m still a bit torn between whether primary or secondary is the way to go. Secondary is my preference as a History and English teacher but I’m worried the job prospects aren’t that great for that. Would doing PE give me a better chance? It’s not my preference to do PE but if it would help then I’d do it.

Have to decide which uni/s to apply for as well. If I went to ACU, I could start straight away in semester 2, but would have to pick between primary/secondary. If I wait for next year, I could to the Primary and Secondary degree at Monash. I like the idea of being qualified for p-12 but would mean I waste the second half of this year. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Am almost done (in my last semester) with my Bachelor of Arts and have decided to do teaching. I’m still a bit torn between whether primary or secondary is the way to go. Secondary is my preference as a History and English teacher but I’m worried the job prospects aren’t that great for that. Would doing PE give me a better chance? It’s not my preference to do PE but if it would help then I’d do it.

Have to decide which uni/s to apply for as well. If I went to ACU, I could start straight away in semester 2, but would have to pick between primary/secondary. If I wait for next year, I could to the Primary and Secondary degree at Monash. I like the idea of being qualified for p-12 but would mean I waste the second half of this year. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It's completely up to you but personally I wouldn't bother training as both secondary and secondary. If you're primary trained you can teach junior secondary and if you're secondary trained you can teach upper primary.

It's completely up to you but personally I wouldn't bother training as both secondary and secondary. If you're primary trained you can teach junior secondary and if you're secondary trained you can teach upper primary.
Thanks for the reply mate. That’s good to know. That makes me more inclined to do secondary. If I was to teach at a primary level, id be more keen on upper primary.

If you can teach History, you can teach Humanities. Humanities/English teachers are quite common and are very employable as they can be flexible in the Timetable across classes 7-12 - and these are typically compulsory year-long subjects for all students (for English up to Year 12, Humanities up to Year 10 (?)). You may not get to teach VCE History straight away, but depending on the school, it is generally the timetabling that will determine that.

PE teachers less so. Purely anecdotal, but many CRTs I know with are PE teachers looking for a contract / permanent position. I also know a number of secondary trained PE teachers working in primary due to a lack of secondary PE opportunities.

If you can teach History, you can teach Humanities. Humanities/English teachers are quite common and are very employable as they can be flexible in the Timetable across classes 7-12 - and these are typically compulsory year-long subjects for all students (for English up to Year 12, Humanities up to Year 10 (?)). You may not get to teach VCE History straight away, but depending on the school, it is generally the timetabling that will determine that.

PE teachers less so. Purely anecdotal, but many CRTs I know with are PE teachers looking for a contract / permanent position. I also know a number of secondary trained PE teachers working in primary due to a lack of secondary PE opportunities.
Thank you, this is useful. That fits in well with what I want to do then. Do you think the university studied at matters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back