Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

You should change schools then if 3-15 is so surprising. You can work all the hours you want really, I've done it in the past but I'd rather spend time with my family than spend more time at work. Some people like to spend more time at work so they don't have to do work at home but I don't mind putting in the hours at home when I need to. I will say this though, I usually get on at about 8 and leave around at 3-45 sometimes later. But leaving later means more traffic and a much longer trip home.

I've worked at 3 schools and have never come across a teacher that leaves regularly at 3.15. Each school is different of course, but that surprises me that it happens.
What is your load if you teach 11 different classes? I assume you teach a lot of elective type classes?

Anyone expecting us to possibly go back to remote learning for a while in term 3?

What is your load if you teach 11 different classes? I assume you teach a lot of elective type classes?

Anyone expecting us to possibly go back to remote learning for a while in term 3?
I teach Health and PE from year 7 to 9 and our Health classes are single period per week classes. I've got 6 of those. Plus 5 different PE classes. Our school run Health and PE separately, different set of reports and classes.

I have no word on remote learning but I'm certainly thinking it's more likely than not. In some form anyway.

I've worked at 3 schools and have never come across a teacher that leaves regularly at 3.15. Each school is different of course, but that surprises me that it happens.
I didn't say I left at 3-15, all I said was that at 3-15, at the end of the school day I was home (when teaching online). So that was a plus.

at 3-15 I'm already home, not getting ready to leave.
This sure does insinuate that you are getting ready to leave work at 3.15.

From my perspective, I teach to help develop students knowledge, skills and confidence. Also to build relationships and provide them opportunities they might not otherwise have. For my subject area this is very difficult to do in the remote learning space.

Remote learning is not what I got in to teach for and I really hope we don't go back to it, even though I think we will.

Last edited:
Ummmm what time does school start?

I start at 8 and leave at 4:30.
Should clarify. Classes start at 8-30. I'm always in well before then. Classes finish at 3-15. Don't often get out at that time due to meetings, crossing duty one night and other things, but will if possible because it saves around 40 min travelling time compared to leaving later.

Our local agreement if working full time hours is that we must be on site from 8.35 to 4.35 Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. 8.35 to 3.35 on Tuesday and Friday. We can't arrive later or leave earlier than those times.
I guess it just depends on your principal.
But you can probably see that remote learning from home means you won't be there till those times. As soon as classes finish you are already home.
Plenty of negatives to remote teaching, but there are some pluses.

Last edited:
You should change schools then if 3-15 is so surprising. You can work all the hours you want really, I've done it in the past but I'd rather spend time with my family than spend more time at work. Some people like to spend more time at work so they don't have to do work at home but I don't mind putting in the hours at home when I need to. I will say this though, I usually get on at about 8 and leave around at 3-45 sometimes later. But leaving later means more traffic and a much longer trip home.
This post reminds me of people who just before the close of a meeting, start asking pointless questions. We used to joke that they had a 3 headed monster waiting for them at home, so they were doing whatever they could to avoid leaving work. 😂😂😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our local agreement if working full time hours is that we must be on site from 8.35 to 4.35 Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. 8.35 to 3.35 on Tuesday and Friday. We can't arrive later or leave earlier than those times.
I remember working only those times when we were going through the agreement saga with Ted Ballieu (sp?). That was great times. Highlighted how much work couldn't get done if we rocked up at 8:30 and left at 3:35.

Sadly work load just never got addressed apart from the 30+8 model in Victoria. As a newbie leader at my new school, The planners are the biggest hurdle. 15-20 page planners are a joke.

They won't shut schools again in Victoria. Would be a riot of epic proportions from parents.
You can't make that assumption. If our case numbers get out of hand, then of course they can and will close schools again.

Our school had a confirmed case on the 2nd last day of term. I assume that our attendance data will be quite bad on the return. That will happen around Melbourne schools if cases continue to grow as they are.

I'm at school pretty soon after 7 and usually leave around 4, 5 if we have a staff meeting. On Fridays I usually leave around 3.30.

Extra week school holidays in Victoria. Year 11 & 12 and special schools returning onsite. Remote learning for other year levels.

Extra week school holidays in Victoria. Year 11 & 12 and special schools returning onsite. Remote learning for other year levels.
Students in Y10 doing a VCE Subject to attend as well. The Premier has announced that they will review their remote learning response and announce it on Friday.

They won't shut schools again in Victoria. Would be a riot of epic proportions from parents.

They won't shut schools anywhere. Even if there is a significant risk to one and all. They may shut some schools, but not all. Gladys jumped ahead several "phases" here in NSW with f-all notice.

And I say to any parents who whinge and bitch about schools being closed and them having to home school - do the "crime", do the "time". There's a lot of parents that were really surprised their little "angels" got sucky reports - they refused to do the work at home. None of mine got outstanding or even high.

In the words of BT wowee.
Not unusual in my school either; we are apparently 'mandated' to stay until 3:30 but I do see a lot out of colleagues out the door by 3:15. s**t at one point, we even had a teacher catching the school bus to get dropped off at the local train station. Bizarre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back