Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

I finished mid-year, applied for jobs and was hired without my VIT but had it by the time I started teaching (start of Term 3). The principals were ancy as hell about it - but they were desperate to fill a mid-year position.

I honestly can't see many schools taking the risk - particularly for a Term 1 position - given you have yet to finish the course and they would have to re-hire if something fell through. Assuming we are not in remote learning next year, I think doing CRT for a few months and then looking for position during the year is not a terrible outcome. Gives you the ability to teach at a range of different schools without commitment and the opportunity to just focus on your classroom management practice (rather than planning, admin etc.).
Yeah it doesn't seem worth it to apply for anything at the start of the year. Pretty happy to CRT for a while at the start. Cheers for the reply.
Keep an eye on the Tutor Learning Initiative. If it is continued into 2022, it would be a back door into getting work in a school with Permission to Teach fast tracked.
Good idea, will keep an eye out.

Last day of Term 3 tomorrow and still no announcement regarding Term 4.
We should get an idea of where we are heading with the announcement on Sunday, with some sort of roadmap being outlined.

It will depend on vaccination rates. NSW return to school dates:
Kindergarten and year 1: from 25 October

Year 2, 6 and 11: from 1 November

Year 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 and 10: from 8 November

Seeing as we are about 2 weeks behind NSW vaccination rates, I can't see schools in Melbourne returning til November sometime.

A father passing by his son's bedroom was astonished to see the bed was nicely made and everything was picked up. Then, he saw an envelope, propped up prominently on the pillow. It was addressed, 'Dad'. With the worst premonition, he opened the envelope and read the letter, with trembling hands.

Dear, Dad,
It is with great regret and sorrow that I'm writing you. I had to elope with my new girlfriend, because I wanted to avoid a scene with Mum and you.

I've been finding real passion with Stacy. She is so nice, but I knew you would not approve of her because of all her piercing's, tattoos, her tight Motorcycle clothes, and because she is so much older than I am.

But it's not only the passion, Dad. She's pregnant. Stacy said that we will be very happy. She owns a trailer in the woods, and has a stack of firewood for the whole winter. We share a dream of having many more children.

Stacy has opened my eyes to the fact that marijuana doesn't really hurt anyone. We'll be growing it for ourselves and trading it with the other people in the commune for all the cocaine and ecstasy we want.

In the meantime, we'll pray that science will find a cure for AIDS so that Stacy can get better. She sure deserves it!

Don't worry Dad, I'm 15, and I know how to take care of myself.
Someday, I'm sure we'll be back to visit so you can get to know your many grandchildren.

Love, your son, Joshua.

P.S. Dad, none of the above is true.
I'm over at Jason's house. I just wanted to remind you that there are worse things in life than the school report that's on the kitchen table.
Please call when it is safe for me to come home!

Had a discussion about what my role will be once I go back into the classroom at the end of last term as I wasnt successful in retaining my LS role in STEM due to reduced amount of LS's at the school.

They still want me to continue to do my role but in the classroom (so lead FISO STEM action team, mentoring and looking after horticulture).

I've just been watching the news which featured complaints from Melb Uni Tutors that they are not being paid for all the hours they work.
Teachers have been doing that forever!

Last edited:
My school advertised their Lead teacher role. As my LS tenure is up, I applied but when the application closed was told they won't appoint as they felt there was no suitable candidate (ie they dont feel I was good enough).

They want me to be a co-ordinator and instructional leader (so do more work but less pay). Not sure if I should do it as it will look good on my cv or say thanks but no thanks as I have a young family.

Or, as it goes in education these days, suitable means female.

Or, as it goes in education these days, suitable means female.
Surprisingly all our LT and LS will be female (and I am not being gender bias). I have gone past being PO in this and trying to work on the areas they felt I needed to work on which were:
- showing initiative and go with what I think is right and run with ideas
- Listening to teachers and use questioning techniques to get them to come up with answers instead of just jumping in and solving their problems.

My Prin said they would help me develop the areas I need to work on with my leadership if I took up a coordinator role and instructional leader role.

My school advertised their Lead teacher role. As my LS tenure is up, I applied but when the application closed was told they won't appoint as they felt there was no suitable candidate (ie they dont feel I was good enough).

They want me to be a co-ordinator and instructional leader (so do more work but less pay). Not sure if I should do it as it will look good on my cv or say thanks but no thanks as I have a young family.

Sorry to butt in, but as an experienced teacher and STEM leader, this response from your school has red flags all over it. It is pretty clearly a budget decision from your leadership team - “Who would be prepared to keep doing their role in their own time without the extra money?”. They are obviously gambling on your ‘stickiness’ in terms of not moving schools

There are plenty of STEM roles out there - don’t be afraid to throw your hat in the ring even if you don’t feel experienced enough. Enthusiasm and a willingness to learn while leading are enough in many cases.

Happy to discuss in here/by DM if you have questions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sorry to butt in, but as an experienced teacher and STEM leader, this response from your school has red flags all over it. It is pretty clearly a budget decision from your leadership team - “Who would be prepared to keep doing their role in their own time without the extra money?”. They are obviously gambling on your ‘stickiness’ in terms of not moving schools

There are plenty of STEM roles out there - don’t be afraid to throw your hat in the ring even if you don’t feel experienced enough. Enthusiasm and a willingness to learn while leading are enough in many cases.

Happy to discuss in here/by DM if you have questions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Sent DM

At the moment our coordinators are: '
- leading action teams.
- Attending SIT meetings
- Collating and looking after resources
- doing PDs
- Making purchase orders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be interested to know if there was statistical data of male vs female in the education/teaching positions state by state (Australia), to see if it was consistent. Also wouldn't mind knowing those current statistics and compare them to say a couple of decades ago.

I'd be interested to know if there was statistical data of male vs female in the education/teaching positions state by state (Australia), to see if it was consistent. Also wouldn't mind knowing those current statistics and compare them to say a couple of decades ago.
I've seen some pretty balanced ratios. What's more interesting is the fixed term vs ongoing contracts advertised.

I empathise with the struggles of those posting in the past few pages. I remembered posting in here years ago.

I know this is bragging but after 7 years of fixed term and casual roles I have finally earnt permanency (at a pretty decent public school, to boot).

It's easy to say now, but you just have to keep at it with the unpaid overtime, putting yourself out there, playing the game and engaging in copious amounts of networking (ie ass-kissing). That's the reality.

In the schools I have worked at, it's always been female dominated. That's the nature of the education industry.

Really hate this attitude of other professionals that it’s the hard way or nothing. There’s no better training than on the job training - almost nothing I learnt in the methodology part of my master of teaching prepared me for the class. Some of the older teachers still don’t like the way I teach as I’m relationships first, content second…. And I know they don’t like that a lot of kids say I’m their favourite teacher. But I have almost zero behaviour problems in my class and really good student engagement. I learnt this through trial and error, not by memorising chapter 13, “approaches to classroom control”.

These sorts of degrees are great as they get people
Who really want to teach and have good outside knowledge into the sector - which is what is needed. It’s almost the same as an industry expert vs a career politician for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A months long bump, but this is me almost word for word. I also use almost nothing from my Graduate Diploma in my classroom practice, it was just the best way to get into the classroom as soon as possible.

The more diverse pathways into teaching the better, in my view.

Got a call yesterday afternoon for a job interview today for a LS role. They wanted me to plan and implement a lesson for year 6 students before moving to the interview. Was a bit shocked that they wanted to observe a live lesson as part of the interview process. I know this happens in the UK (have a UK teacher friend who hated it as it really puts you on the spot if they don't give you adequate notice).

Is this the way we are moving in interviews? I know my school is bringing it in (develop and talk through a lesson) before questions. It caught a few teachers at my school going for their job again off guard. I can see the benefits fpr schools being able to see the teacher in action before hiring, but find those who have no idea on the student cohort or programs being operated in the school being disadvantaged (in my case the school has jo programs listed on their website).

I won't have access to the internet or an Interactive whiteboard bit they will give a tv with HDMI capability. Will be interesting.

Got a call yesterday afternoon for a job interview today for a LS role. They wanted me to plan and implement a lesson for year 6 students before moving to the interview. Was a bit shocked that they wanted to observe a live lesson as part of the interview process. I know this happens in the UK (have a UK teacher friend who hated it as it really puts you on the spot if they don't give you adequate notice).

Is this the way we are moving in interviews? I know my school is bringing it in (develop and talk through a lesson) before questions. It caught a few teachers at my school going for their job again off guard. I can see the benefits fpr schools being able to see the teacher in action before hiring, but find those who have no idea on the student cohort or programs being operated in the school being disadvantaged (in my case the school has jo programs listed on their website).

I won't have access to the internet or an Interactive whiteboard bit they will give a tv with HDMI capability. Will be interesting.

It is the way things are going unfortunately. I had to do this for my current role that I'm leaving at the end of this year (but not for the role I am moving into - may have had something to do with COVID). I don't like it much, because being in a classroom with a group of students you've never met teaching a one-off lesson is not an accurate representation of how you may manage a class or classes of your own.

However, having to do it, my suggestions would be:

- List the attributes that you'll need for the role (check the selection criteria). Try to come up with a few key teaching strategies that fit those attributes, and play them up in your lesson plan.
- Be animated and show off your classroom skills. Speak clearly, smile, move around the room and engage all the students, be confident.

Just being obviously competent in the classroom context should be enough to get you to the interview stage. You'd be surprised how many applicants are not at all impressive in these situations (yes, I've had to be involved from the other side).

Let's be honest; you're performing for the adults in the room, not the kids.

It is the way things are going unfortunately. I had to do this for my current role that I'm leaving at the end of this year (but not for the role I am moving into - may have had something to do with COVID). I don't like it much, because being in a classroom with a group of students you've never met teaching a one-off lesson is not an accurate representation of how you may manage a class or classes of your own.

However, having to do it, my suggestions would be:

- List the attributes that you'll need for the role (check the selection criteria). Try to come up with a few key teaching strategies that fit those attributes, and play them up in your lesson plan.
- Be animated and show off your classroom skills. Speak clearly, smile, move around the room and engage all the students, be confident.

Just being obviously competent in the classroom context should be enough to get you to the interview stage. You'd be surprised how many applicants are not at all impressive in these situations (yes, I've had to be involved from the other side).

Let's be honest; you're performing for the adults in the room, not the kids.
It was in addition to the interview. They said it was to see if the candidates were a good fit for them.

They started off being late by 25minutes to collect me and take me to the classroom. Then when I was there the students were giving me nothing. I roved around the room working with students 1:1 and getting them to give answers in the explicit teaching. It was just difficult as the topic (personal recounts) was dry.

Don't think I'll get it.

It was in addition to the interview. They said it was to see if the candidates were a good fit for them.

They started off being late by 25minutes to collect me and take me to the classroom. Then when I was there the students were giving me nothing. I roved around the room working with students 1:1 and getting them to give answers in the explicit teaching. It was just difficult as the topic (personal recounts) was dry.

Don't think I'll get it.

The students are always going to give you nothing, especially at this time of year and after coming back from 3 months of distance learning. Any teacher at the moment knows that the past month of teaching the students have been struggling with motivation and focus.

If you stayed positive and showed good classroom skills (regardless of student response), then you're still in with a chance. Remember that anyone else applying for the job would have had the same students (giving them nothing) and topic. You just have to be better than them (in terms of ideas, preparation and attitude).

Had a good friend of mine invited to interview for a VP position some years ago. He sat in the waiting room for longer than expected. Went for a nervous trip to the toilet and was called in as he returned to the waiting room. Went through the interview and afterwards on his walk back to his car thought through his interview and really felt like he had nailed it. It was the best interview he had ever gone through. He sat in front of the steering wheel of his car and as he reached for his key, he notice that throughout the interview his fly was undone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back