Thinking of becoming a primary teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Im in my last couple years of school so I've been looking into my career options. The one career that stood out to me was primary teaching, so I thought I would try and see how I would go in similar activities. I started coaching and field umpiring for my local comp and so far I've enjoyed both and done well (Football umpiring I've moved to seniors so I think I'm going alright and the coaching over the course of the season.) So I think primary does suit me.

What I don't know is how primary compares to other jobs or what else I could potentially look into. From my recent semester 1 results I would have (extremely roughly) been looking around a 75-85 atar score so going into something like a doctor isn't really an option for myself.

Just wanted to hear some other opinions on what a primary teacher is like and other possible career paths, Thanks.

Last edited:
All comes down to

a)would you rather teach basic skills, or help to improve partly developed skills
b)would you rather teach 1-2 subject areas in depth, or a basic level of every subject

I teach secondary and love it, and I don't think I could teach primary based on the fact that I love my subject area (HSIE) and I am not the type of person who could handle having 20 or so 5-10 year old around me constantly. I just seem to work better with teenage kids

I'm a primary teacher and love it.
Teaching prep-four is completely different to teaching 3-5 which is again very different to teaching grade 6. I have no interest in teaching prep-2, it's effectively a career change and a completely different job.

I'm currently in grade 6 which is around 11-13 year olds and it's great. The amount they know and the jokes that you can have with them makes it enjoyable.

There are some marked differences between primary and secondary. Primary isn't opening a book and teaching to page 12. There is a lot of extra planning and organisation involved. Lessons need to be differentiated. So for example, in a Maths lesson on multiplication I'll be teaching 4-5 different things. My top kids will be doing things involving algebra and open ended problem solving, while some kids will be multiplying decimals. Down the line the bottom kids might be doing some 2 by 1 digit multiplication questions. In my current grade I've got kids doing year 7 and 8 maths and one kid still trying to add with trading so you need to be quite flexible as opposed to teaching everyone the same lesson.

Some misconceptions about primary teaching:
- rock up at 9 and leave at 3.30
A day will usually depend on the teacher but mine typically are 8-5.30. That includes yard duties and I eat at my desk while I work. Junior grades you could get away with taking your lunch break most days. You will also do work over weekends. Along with school concerts, camps, parent teacher nights etc. no extra pay.

- It's all kids hanging off your leg all day.
Yes if you teach prep- maybe 2. 5/6 are 10-13 year olds. They are much more independent than most people realise.

- reports are all copy paste.
No. Just no!! 28 kids in my class. All get an individual report (limited to 3000 characters) plus 40odd a-e marks. One for all the different areas to teach.

- behaviour issues are mainly at secondary school.
I've seen kids throw chairs at people, kids be aggressive to teachers, delt with students self harming and others who have parents who just don't give a damn about them. As a primary teacher, you are effectively an extra parent to these kids (the best teachers make a real connection with the kids in their class) You have to be ready to listen, help, and show an interest in what they are saying. You have to get to know the kids on a greater level than you would as a secondary teacher as you are with them 6 hours every day. You aren't just a teacher. You're a social worker, therapist, carrer and the list goes on. It's not your typical worker/client relationship.

It's a great job but has a very high burn out and turn over rate so I only recommend it to people who are willing to put everything into it. If you do, you will find it unbelievably rewarding.

Im a Primary Teacher. I have a love/hate affair with it.

Love the young kids as generally their behaviour is good. I taught most grades and by far the younger grades are harder in terms of noise/settling into routines (but marking is easier).

I hate the fact that the admin work is more and I never get the grade I actually want (Grade 5/6). Im a male in prep lol.

There are some marked differences between primary and secondary. Primary isn't opening a book and teaching to page 12.

....so the Primary school students have scattered abilities, but by the time they're in secondary school they're all up to the same exercise?

And whilst you're suggesting that you've got to build these deep connections with the 28 kids that you teach in your 5 hours per day, you must understand that secondary teachers need to build deep connections with many of the 100 kids that they teach for 5 hours per week - those kids whose parents didn't care for them in primary school, yeah, they still don't care for them in secondary school.

Don't turn it into a pissing contest about who does more and who has the more important role, just understand that there's a lot more to both junior primary school and secondary school.

....so the Primary school students have scattered abilities, but by the time they're in secondary school they're all up to the same exercise?

And whilst you're suggesting that you've got to build these deep connections with the 28 kids that you teach in your 5 hours per day, you must understand that secondary teachers need to build deep connections with many of the 100 kids that they teach for 5 hours per week - those kids whose parents didn't care for them in primary school, yeah, they still don't care for them in secondary school.

Don't turn it into a pissing contest about who does more and who has the more important role, just understand that there's a lot more to both junior primary school and secondary school.

I'm not suggesting there isn't. You've taken some of my points about misconceptions and taken them as differences.

However I stand by the differentiated curriculum comment. It's. Nothing like secondary.

I'm a primary teacher and love it.
Teaching prep-four is completely different to teaching 3-5 which is again very different to teaching grade 6. I have no interest in teaching prep-2, it's effectively a career change and a completely different job.

I'm currently in grade 6 which is around 11-13 year olds and it's great. The amount they know and the jokes that you can have with them makes it enjoyable.

There are some marked differences between primary and secondary. Primary isn't opening a book and teaching to page 12. There is a lot of extra planning and organisation involved. Lessons need to be differentiated. So for example, in a Maths lesson on multiplication I'll be teaching 4-5 different things. My top kids will be doing things involving algebra and open ended problem solving, while some kids will be multiplying decimals. Down the line the bottom kids might be doing some 2 by 1 digit multiplication questions. In my current grade I've got kids doing year 7 and 8 maths and one kid still trying to add with trading so you need to be quite flexible as opposed to teaching everyone the same lesson.

Some misconceptions about primary teaching:
- rock up at 9 and leave at 3.30
A day will usually depend on the teacher but mine typically are 8-5.30. That includes yard duties and I eat at my desk while I work. Junior grades you could get away with taking your lunch break most days. You will also do work over weekends. Along with school concerts, camps, parent teacher nights etc. no extra pay.

- It's all kids hanging off your leg all day.
Yes if you teach prep- maybe 2. 5/6 are 10-13 year olds. They are much more independent than most people realise.

- reports are all copy paste.
No. Just no!! 28 kids in my class. All get an individual report (limited to 3000 characters) plus 40odd a-e marks. One for all the different areas to teach.

- behaviour issues are mainly at secondary school.
I've seen kids throw chairs at people, kids be aggressive to teachers, delt with students self harming and others who have parents who just don't give a damn about them. As a primary teacher, you are effectively an extra parent to these kids (the best teachers make a real connection with the kids in their class) You have to be ready to listen, help, and show an interest in what they are saying. You have to get to know the kids on a greater level than you would as a secondary teacher as you are with them 6 hours every day. You aren't just a teacher. You're a social worker, therapist, carrer and the list goes on. It's not your typical worker/client relationship.

It's a great job but has a very high burn out and turn over rate so I only recommend it to people who are willing to put everything into it. If you do, you will find it unbelievably rewarding.
Great post, I was thinking of becoming a primary school teacher a few years back but I would struggle to deal with the parents. As a lot of parents believe their child can't do no wrong ect ect. How do you find that aspect of it?

Last edited:
Great post, I was thinking of becoming a primary school teacher a few years back but I would struggle to deal with the parents. As a lot of parents believe their child can't do no wrong ect ect. How do you find that aspect of it?

This varies from school to school and more accurately area to area. I also find some teachers cop it more because they are not that great at dealing with a confronting parent. It's not something that's taught very well or at all at university and you don't deal with it as a student teacher.

If you record everything and get enough information down before approaching parents, that helps and also listening to their bit before you just shut them down. Parents are hands down one of the hardest parts of the job but one thing I have found is that if you build up enough of a relationship with the student they will be generally honest about things they have done later on. Also parents are more inclined to respect a teacher that their child respects.

This varies from school to school and more accurately area to area. I also find some teachers cop it more because they are not that great at dealing with a confronting parent. It's not something that's taught very well or at all at university and you don't deal with it as a student teacher.

If you record everything and get enough information down before approaching parents, that helps and also listening to their bit before you just shut them down. Parents are hands down one of the hardest parts of the job but one thing I have found is that if you build up enough of a relationship with the student they will be generally honest about things they have done later on. Also parents are more inclined to respect a teacher that their child respects.
Agree with this 100%.
Documentation is a teachers best friend and their shield.
Ive also found the 'socio-eco' perception of the school gives you good idea into what the parents are like. I worked at one school that was always seen as a poor school that no one wanted to go to, for the most part the parents were great, active and wanted as much feedback as possible.
On the flipside worked at a school for the cream of the crop and if they didnt perform it was your fault, not the students, hands down, no argument from the parents point of view.
This may sound weird, but a couple of primary teachers i knew would visit every students house (students in their clasd that is) at the start of the year to meet the families. The community they developed and mutual respect was amazing.

I've got a similar experience with parents from low socio economic areas. Some parents at parent teacher interviews are like...
Is he behaving? Yes
Is he happy? Yes
All good then. Bye.

I had one parent ask if their son was well behaved. I replied yes and they said "if he's not, you hit". I politely told him I couldn't and he said "no, no, I give you permission. He no behave, you hit."

Others can be a lot more full on!!

I'm studying to be a primary teacher at the moment. Just came off my second of four pracs and loved it. It's stressful, exhausting and tiring, but in the long run its worth it. You definitely need patience, faith and the ability to communicate well with kids and parents of all ages though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a primary teacher in the works I can tell you it's a very rewarding experience. You learn just as much about yourself as you do the kids. It's great. Hard work yes, but if you give it your all and go in with the right intentions and mindset, its amazingly rewarding.

Gearing up for my second practicum. Super keen to get back into it.

Just wrapping up placement with Preps now. They're hard. Older primary, even from grade 3, is a lot more my thing in terms of the students, but I haven't had to do lesson planning or anything for those year levels and I suspect at Prep hat might be a bit easier, although there are definitely other challenges to make up for it.

Next year, I start my high school placements, I'm really looking forward to it. At this stage I don't think primary is really for me. I could do it, but I don't have a passion for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back