Employment Thinking of getting into Traffic Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
G'day, I'm 18 years old, turning 19 in September and as the title suggests I am thinking of getting into Traffic Management. I have a few connections who have said they'd be more than happy to help find some work for me if I want to pursue it. I've been told the pros and cons and im still fairly keen to get involved but is it something someone as young as I should get into? I'm starting uni next year but im fairly sure I can balance the two out no problems.

If anyone here has been in Traffic Management or is currently in that field of work, I would greatly appreciate insight about the nuances of the job and what I can expect.

If you like standing around all day doing not much, I'm sure it's great.

Some of them feel like like they're the most important people alive

G'day, I'm 18 years old, turning 19 in September and as the title suggests I am thinking of getting into Traffic Management. I have a few connections who have said they'd be more than happy to help find some work for me if I want to pursue it. I've been told the pros and cons and im still fairly keen to get involved but is it something someone as young as I should get into? I'm starting uni next year but im fairly sure I can balance the two out no problems.

If anyone here has been in Traffic Management or is currently in that field of work, I would greatly appreciate insight about the nuances of the job and what I can expect.
How did you go?

It always seems to me like its quite sought after and reputable but I've heard the work is inconsistent including time of day, location. Of course I guess.

Doesn't seem a lot better than retail work.

How did you go?

It always seems to me like its quite sought after and reputable but I've heard the work is inconsistent including time of day, location. Of course I guess.

Doesn't seem a lot better than retail work.
It's sought after because the pay is generally good although that is balanced against odd hours and a high risk work environment. Most people think traffic control is just holding a stop and go sign in a residential street but try working on the side of a freeway at night when no campaigner can be assed slowing down to 40.

Few years back I was doing nightshift on a freeway widening in Melbourne and saw an incident in which a B-Double that was clearly doing well above the construction speed limit pull out of the running lane into the closed lane, presumably the truck in front of him was actually doing 40km/h and this guy was impatient, and then slammed into the back of a truck-mounted attenuator which was shot 100m off the road into a ditch. The cab of the TMA was folded back over the chassis and the operator had to be cut out, very lucky it was on a bend otherwise it would have been sent straight into the work area and there would have been a fatality. Sadly it's not an uncommon occurrence either.

It's sought after because the pay is generally good although that is balanced against odd hours and a high risk work environment. Most people think traffic control is just holding a stop and go sign in a residential street but try working on the side of a freeway at night when no campaigner can be assed slowing down to 40.

Few years back I was doing nightshift on a freeway widening in Melbourne and saw an incident in which a B-Double that was clearly doing well above the construction speed limit pull out of the running lane into the closed lane, presumably the truck in front of him was actually doing 40km/h and this guy was impatient, and then slammed into the back of a truck-mounted attenuator which was shot 100m off the road into a ditch. The cab of the TMA was folded back over the chassis and the operator had to be cut out, very lucky it was on a bend otherwise it would have been sent straight into the work area and there would have been a fatality. Sadly it's not an uncommon occurrence either.
I am on the road everyday, I genuinely believe traffic controllers think they're the most important people alive. The strut they have is amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back