Thinking outside the box for revenue streams

So if the only team in Melbourne gets 8,000 a game, what do you think a team appealing to a tiny subset of Melbourne would get?

No idea, but it's worth noting that they play games at 2 stadia...one has 10500 seats, and the other 3500 so average crowds of 8000 probably aren't that far off capacity (depending on how much they use each one).

Richmond has announced a 5 year 'strategic partnership' with the Australian Defense Forces (apparently formalising stuff we've been doing since 2012 anyway)

Not sure if it'd be a revenue stream, although I can see how it could fit with the leadership, management training, and indigenous programs. More generally I suppose it could also raise the club's profile (especially outside Vic & ADF members from outside football states).

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-02-28/richmond-partner-with-the-australian-defence-force

Really?
Thought Melbourne was the heartland of Basketball in Australia.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Melbourne United is going well, but a Essendon NBL side isn’t going to get any support from anybody who isn’t already a Essendon supporter, don’t think it will be a great decision.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Melbourne United is going well, but a Essendon NBL side isn’t going to get any support from anybody who isn’t already a Essendon supporter, don’t think it will be a great decision.
Crows look like buying part of The Adelaide 36ers. Will be interesting to see if that alienates the 36ers supporters who follow Port

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Revenue stream for the players retirement fund (?), be interesting to see who of the chosen 50 best exploit it beyond the Telstra ambassador role :

Telstra and the AFL have announced a new player agreement to cross-promote the national competition and Telstra’s services that enhance fans’ access to AFL content.

The new deal, believed to be the first of its kind involving a sports league, players’ association and commercial partner, covers the entire AFL playing group and forms part of the AFL and Telstra’s digital rights agreement, which runs to 2022.

Telstra and the AFL will work with the players to generate digital content and facilitate player appearances to give fans more insight and access to their favourite players. This will include hosting AFL player content onto the combined, official AFL and Telstra digital network.

Every AFL player is available to create digital content that will be shared with footy fans.

Fifty star players from all AFL clubs across Australia will be selected, based on their profile and influence, to become Telstra Ambassadors. The 50 players will appear throughout the year at new, local Telstra store openings and participate in community events, such as coaching clinics, and exclusive meet and greet opportunities with fans.

https://mediaweek.com.au/afl-telstra-deal-content-retirement/

WANTED: footy media personality, who are the likely starters other than Ben Brown, he's ready made, possibly too honest/straight up & down.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Interesting the numbers in the article. In NSW the market is saturated and licences can be and are traded. I've seen figures of more than $1m per machine.l in the press. That might be why the NSW clubs have no interest. The NRL clubs have always relied on them and as long as they have the licences they can replace the machines at will.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos

Melton again, always Melton, all the big Melbourne clubs are there to extract some coin out of the residents of Melton. Geez, they must have the highest disposable income in all of Australia.

Interesting that the one club which has legitimate ties to Melton, doesn't have a presence there.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I wonder if getting rid of pokies is more a shrewd business move more than any moral stance. Sell the licences now before the government cracks down and devalues them.

A bit like getting rid of a taxi licence prior to uber.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I wonder if getting rid of pokies is more a shrewd business move more than any moral stance. Sell the licences now before the government cracks down and devalues them.

A bit like getting rid of a taxi licence prior to uber.
It went the other way in NSW
The prices skyrocket to over $1m per machine licence when the government stopped issuing new ones. The didn't have the will to cut their revenue by reducing them.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
It went the other way in NSW
The prices skyrocket to over $1m per machine licence when the government stopped issuing new ones. The didn't have the will to cut their revenue by reducing them.

I was more thinking that the state will just tax them to kingdom come. More so than now.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I posted this on a Collingwood Board thread

The current licences (including the ones Collingwood are selling off) are due to finish in 2022. The Auction approach adopted last time looks like it is being replaced with an "administrative allocation process" this time with a "progressive tax" that presumably means more lucrative machines get taxed at a higher rate and a relaxing of the 50:50 rule that split private hotels and clubs https://www.vcglr.vic.gov.au/news/announcement-regarding-gaming-machine-arrangements

I suspect that after 2022 whatever super profits being earned on the back of low auction prices will not be replicated this time. The government will (rightfully) squeeze most of that out of operators.

Collingwood gets out presumably getting roughly in a discounted lump some whatever super profits it would have earned over the remaining 4 years of the current licences. Other clubs will presumably be renegotiating their licences under increasing heat to get out of the pokies business by the AFL/media with a government that will be keen to significantly raise the per machine licence fee and tax off high earning machines.

I have no doubt the club has made this decision at a strategic commercial level first and foremost. For a start I'm pretty sure we signed a deal with Melbourne city council worth $3M that required us to get out of pokies within 10 years which would fall within the next licence period.

That aside, I for one am rapt the club is going to be pokies free at the end of the year

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Not sure the Politicians are that smart. Possible they haven't got the clout as well, there's a lot of money involved.

Eddie is well placed to know where the politics are going - a drop in stamp duty revenues could be replaced (painlessly to voters) by a jump in pokies taxes.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Rto instructors and facilitators need appropriate credentials in line with the coursework being delivered, we cant gift these gigs.

Dudes cleaning pools in eltham? Will only be an issue if the wage is above norm and they didnt go through an application process. Tbh, i think most ex footy players would see working at a community leisure center as beneath them

This is called Vocational currency and is needed as well as your min professional qual ie Cert 4 TAE.

Back