Prediction Third club for Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Do Subi have a massive following? They were just a poor-to-middling club who suddenly benefited from the injection of an obscene amount of money that their competitors didn't have access to.

They're the Man City of the WAFL.
Most of the Subiaco fans I know spent most of their supporting time supporting them financially in their bar at Subi during the breaks at the Eagle's games.

Maybe I'm in the minority then. I would love a third WA club.

- I think they would guarantee double up matches against both WA sides so 6 games in Perth. 27% of the season at our home ground.
- 3 WA sides would force more Vic sides to travel over West which balances the travel factor we complain about.
- AFL footy in Perth every week. Tickets would be super cheap for the new side. Would love to go to the footy more but can't stomach sitting with the scum supporters.
- Ends the 2-town team crap and all the issues that comes with.
- I would prefer a 3rd WA side and the new Tassie side to come in at the expense of two struggling Vic clubs but it's not going to happen.
- More interstate sides to help combat the Vic bias bulls**t from AFLHQ.
- They would easily get 20k crowds from week 1, they would pay for themselves after 5-6 years.
- The negatives would be that they would get lots of assistance, steal WA players from the next 3-4 drafts and knowing our luck win a flag before us. haha

cmon own up...your disgruntled about Freo and all the shenanigans ....and no way would you barrack for the eagles so bring on a third team to support.
Gee three quarters would have jumped ship this year LOL.

I want to bump an old thread up , I think a 3rd team in WA would work personally. I think if it can get crowds of around 20,000 in its first 3-4 years, it would be a business model to build on. I think it would be a boost to the WA economy in terms of packaging trips/tours to the West Coast of Australia. The appeal of watching two AFL games in a city on a weekend, would woo people to book flights, tickets and enjoy what Perth has to offer. I also that Perth Stadium, is still being under utilized as it is.

When travelling to Melbourne or Sydney, I often chose the weekends where there were multiple sports events on during the same weekend. Having something like that in WA would encourage your Eastern state to watch multiple games on a weekend as well as do other things around Perth and regional WA during a weekend. (Where there are 2 WA teams playing in WA on the same weekend) Having lived in Sydney for 5.5 years, but I dont think Sydneysiders have that same passion for AFL as the West Australians. This is even in a year where GWS made the Grand Final.

I remember in 2013 whilst in Sydney, I mainly went that to watch a Manchester United v A League all stars weekend but next door there was an AFL match between the Giants and the Bombers. When heading to Melbourne for a footy weekend, id attend a Friday night fixture between two Victorian teams and watch the Eagles v Carlton on a Sunday.

Also it is clear that in Sydney, there is far too much saturation with 9 Sydney teams in the NRL (Roosters, Manly, Souths, Wests, Bulldogs, Penrith, Parramatta, Cronulla and St George ). I don't like comparing AFL to NRL, but a match between 2 Sydney teams, a good crowd would be around the 12,000-15,000 mark. I think Perth is in the market for: a 3rd AFL team, a 2nd A-League team, a 2nd NBL team and an NRL team. With the increase in population from 1.5 million to 2.1 mill in about 14 years, i don't think it will be long till we see expansion for one of the codes mentioned in WA.

Can u imagine a 3rd team in Perth getting all the concessions, $$, picks, etc GWS and GC got after the stale magic beans they threw at Freo. There would be riots in Freo, and the rusted on WC supporters wouldn't switch anyway. If it was owned by AFL and not the WAFC they would become another $$ drain on the comp. Don't see it myself.

Can u imagine a 3rd team in Perth getting all the concessions, $$, picks, etc GWS and GC got after the stale magic beans they threw at Freo. There would be riots in Freo, and the rusted on WC supporters wouldn't switch anyway. If it was owned by AFL and not the WAFC they would become another $$ drain on the comp. Don't see it myself.
I could......

Had Subiaco oval not been demolished, this 3rd WA team would average around 20,000 for the 1st 3-5 years

Perth is good.

After 10pm on Fridays and Sats...Perth is very very very no gooda.

That’s how I see it. I lived in Taiwan and could walk around midnight without a care in the world.

Here it’s a bit different. But no question on a perfect Sunday morning Perth is truely beautiful. We just have a drug/alcohol issue here with 18/25 yo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to bump an old thread up , I think a 3rd team in WA would work personally. I think if it can get crowds of around 20,000 in its first 3-4 years, it would be a business model to build on. I think it would be a boost to the WA economy in terms of packaging trips/tours to the West Coast of Australia. The appeal of watching two AFL games in a city on a weekend, would woo people to book flights, tickets and enjoy what Perth has to offer. I also that Perth Stadium, is still being under utilized as it is.

When travelling to Melbourne or Sydney, I often chose the weekends where there were multiple sports events on during the same weekend. Having something like that in WA would encourage your Eastern state to watch multiple games on a weekend as well as do other things around Perth and regional WA during a weekend. (Where there are 2 WA teams playing in WA on the same weekend) Having lived in Sydney for 5.5 years, but I dont think Sydneysiders have that same passion for AFL as the West Australians. This is even in a year where GWS made the Grand Final.

I remember in 2013 whilst in Sydney, I mainly went that to watch a Manchester United v A League all stars weekend but next door there was an AFL match between the Giants and the Bombers. When heading to Melbourne for a footy weekend, id attend a Friday night fixture between two Victorian teams and watch the Eagles v Carlton on a Sunday.

Also it is clear that in Sydney, there is far too much saturation with 9 Sydney teams in the NRL (Roosters, Manly, Souths, Wests, Bulldogs, Penrith, Parramatta, Cronulla and St George ). I don't like comparing AFL to NRL, but a match between 2 Sydney teams, a good crowd would be around the 12,000-15,000 mark. I think Perth is in the market for: a 3rd AFL team, a 2nd A-League team, a 2nd NBL team and an NRL team. With the increase in population from 1.5 million to 2.1 mill in about 14 years, i don't think it will be long till we see expansion for one of the codes mentioned in WA.

I think the market for sports travel is a lot more limited than what you seem to think. A thrid team drawing 20,000 would not be viable, and in such a big stadium would be quite dull and lifeless as a spectacle. Even the Freo games where we get ~35,000 are a bit grim compared to a bigger crowd. To survive, the new club would need to get at least 30-35K locals turn up each week. I don't think there is that level of lcoal support, and I don't think the numbers can be made up with travellers.

I think the new stadium has in effect, even if unintentional, killed of any chance of a third AFL team from WA.

The only way to get a third team into Perth would be to split the West Coast supporter base into two.
0FD2F280-35EB-41A2-8ABC-75D0C72EE57A.jpeg

Make them think that it’s a good thing. Which would mean that they would have more access to WA talent for a while. And we would have less.

West Coast Falcons coached by Le Cras (blue and yellow)
Perth Eagles coached by Glass (yellow and blue)

One blue could be dark and one yellow more like ochre.

Fans could choose which team to port their membership to. And the in the wings members could fill up the rest.

The only way to get a third team into Perth would be to split the West Coast supporter base into two.
View attachment 794771

Make them think that it’s a good thing. Which would mean that they would have more access to WA talent for a while. And we would have less.

West Coast Falcons coached by Le Cras (blue and yellow)
Perth Eagles coached by Glass (yellow and blue)

One blue could be dark and one yellow more like ochre.

Fans could choose which team to port their membership to. And the in the wings members could fill up the rest.
No way dude. That is like the movie gremlins

That’s not the problem. A third AFL team sucks more money out of the marketing/sponsorship pool putting further pressure on the already precarious financial position of the majority of WAFL teams.

The cost of sponsorships in the WAFL doesnt equate, the target markets very different.

The cost of sponsorships in the WAFL doesnt equate, the target markets very different.
That view isn't shared by any of the WAFL clubs. They know that companies which are deciding whether to slip $10k or $20k into a WAFL club (for pretty much no return) work out they get more bang for their buck by spending the same amount at one of the AFL clubs and getting a nice corporate box to take potential clients to.
Just look at what happened to the WAFL clubs when the Evils and us came along. Certainly it wasn't money form the biggest companies they missed out on but their lifeblood is smaller companies and they deserted in droves.

That view isn't shared by any of the WAFL clubs. They know that companies which are deciding whether to slip $10k or $20k into a WAFL club (for pretty much no return) work out they get more bang for their buck by spending the same amount at one of the AFL clubs and getting a nice corporate box to take potential clients to.
Just look at what happened to the WAFL clubs when the Evils and us came along. Certainly it wasn't money form the biggest companies they missed out on but their lifeblood is smaller companies and they deserted in droves.

People dont go to the WAFL, inviting a client to the footy isnt on a par with the AFL.
Speaking from experience, wish I was wrong.

I think the market for sports travel is a lot more limited than what you seem to think. A thrid team drawing 20,000 would not be viable, and in such a big stadium would be quite dull and lifeless as a spectacle. Even the Freo games where we get ~35,000 are a bit grim compared to a bigger crowd. To survive, the new club would need to get at least 30-35K locals turn up each week. I don't think there is that level of lcoal support, and I don't think the numbers can be made up with travellers.

I think the new stadium has in effect, even if unintentional, killed of any chance of a third AFL team from WA.

With the Federal Government granting $30 million to redevelop the WACA. There might be an opportunity for a team to be based there. Who knows maybe HBF Park could be turned into an AFL ground again (it used to be the home ground of the East Perth football club). Or HBF Arena up in Joondalup from what I know has a capacity of 16,000, maybe a bit of redevelopment there could be boosted to 25,000, with big games against West Coast and Freo to be played at Perth Stadium.

I probably do agree that a 3rd WA team would struggle to fill Perth Stadium on its own and like what you said would make the stadium almost lifeless. I also want to counter your argument abouts sports travel, dont underestimate the economic flow on it has to the economy. Those extra tourism dollars can go a long way in boosting what happens around the city, local communities and make a Perth a more livelier place.

In order of rank anyway , in terms of expansion code for WA. Id rate it along the lines of:

1. 1st WA NRL team
2. 3rd WA AFL team
3. 2nd A-League team
4. 2nd NBL team
and a long shot but I felt the Western Force was harsh to be dumped in the Super rugby comp
5. Regain licence in the Super Rugby competition (Rugby Union)

If WA happened to get an NRL team by the end of the next TV rights deal in 2023, i could easily see the AFL looking to counter that and introduce a 3rd AFL team to wane the interest off NRL in WA.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back