Prediction Third club for Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

You're still offering Tasmania less than half of an underperforming team and taking that off a lot of die hard fans.

If we get rebranded the Fremantle Nuggets and play 8 games a year in Kalgoorlie not a lot of existing fans are going to be happy about it.
Cockburn Central is pretty much Kalgoorlie anyways.

How many teams does the AFL want? Seriously.

Should consolidate what exists before expanding again, and that means letting unviable clubs die - North/Suns etc.

As someone suggested, Newcastle would be a great location for a new team. AFL is gaining traction in NSW, the experiment has worked. Move Suns to Newy.

3rd WA team?

I agree with a lot of his thinking.

IMO cutting clubs or merging is not an option the AFL will consider, it won't risk that backlash again.

The AFL will look to again expand in pairs, so maybe Tasmania gets a team and maybe it doesn't but IF it does then a 20th team needs to be found.

And there's every chance it will be a 3rd WA team (maybe held off a number of years from Tasmania but certainly green lighted). It's not because of the benefits to WA football but simply that WA football can sustain it better then all the other options.

Maybe it hurts the existing WA teams at times but no one's going to go broke and the overall WA contribution stays the same at worst and increases eventually.

6 derbies and another 11 games in the WA timezone will look very tempting to the AFL.

At that point we are looking at only three repeat games maximum, I'd rather a 19 round season with the extra weeks allocated to state of origin but that's not likely to happen. A few decades on and the AFL will have the option of adding a final two teams (Canberra? Darwin? Newcastle? bring back Fitzroy? wherever) and it should then cut it to a simple 21 rounds, no repeated games, home and away alternate years. Though I'm sure the AFL even then won't give up the extra derbies/blockbusters.

Last edited:

r u joking, in the first 12 weeks Richmond travel interstate twice, and play most of this vic games at the MCG.
That won't change a lot with another WA side, which is a pipedream imo

Aren't they trying to expand the game? I mean, how many actual new supporters would they get with another WA team? Couldn't see many (if any) WC supporters willing to give up bragging rights so it would be largely based on Freo supporters wanting a fresh start. Our members don't fill the stadium as is.

What about a Darwin-based 'top end'/'north coast' team (covering tip of WA, NT, and north QLD)? i.e. covering from about Broome to Cairns. A north coast team would allow them to grab all those amazing indigenous kids from Broome to Kununurra, and all those kids in Darwin and throughout the NT, with the added bonus of trying to break into the north QLD rugby market but without having to rely on quickly building a supporter base there of North Queenslanders. Then the AFL can say they basically have coverage throughout Australia when you add in a new Tasmanian team.

Aren't they trying to expand the game? I mean, how many actual new supporters would they get with another WA team? Couldn't see many (if any) WC supporters willing to give up bragging rights so it would be largely based on Freo supporters wanting a fresh start. Our members don't fill the stadium as is.

What about a Darwin-based 'top end'/'north coast' team (covering tip of WA, NT, and north QLD)? i.e. covering from about Broome to Cairns. A north coast team would allow them to grab all those amazing indigenous kids from Broome to Kununurra, and all those kids in Darwin and throughout the NT, with the added bonus of trying to break into the north QLD rugby market but without having to rely on quickly building a supporter base there of North Queenslanders. Then the AFL can say they basically have coverage throughout Australia when you add in a new Tasmanian team.

As sumavich says there's just not the population or infrastructure to support a team. For the same reason it sucks that another WA team would really mean another Perth team, would be fantastic if it was Goldfields or Albany or Geralton, even Bunbury but population, infrastructure and travel means that's just not going to happen.

Again just imo but Perth could be made to wear it purely because nowhere else is ready. Maybe they'll just go 19 teams for now, I really hope Tasmania do get a shot at it.

As a minor side note - it'd be a couple more games with no travel for WA sides, almost in line with Vic clubs.
Perth always misses out. Another team in wa is a big afl investment. We should be all for it or do you want more of our afl money propping up another East coast club.
Also be good to get more use out of optus stadium.
Barnett was lacking when he built that.
Could have demanded money, preferred scheduling or even an extra home game from the afl when they first started started talking about the build.

At this stage Optus Stadium is in use pretty much every week of the home & away season,, by us & the canaries, meaning a third team would create a second game there every 2 weeks or so.
Would the extra use of the ground help to soften it up at all?
Just something else to consider

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It won't be in WA. You aren't growing the game by plonking a 3rd team there, the AFL wants more eyeballs on TV, more people at grassroots and more corporate dollars. WA is an AFL state already, you aren't going to be converting fans over the next 20+ years with the dollars that would be invested in a new team.

The AFL will give Tassie a team for the PR plus the Tassie government will be required to commit to something silly like $10,000,000 a year for 10 years to get the AFL to commit. A 3rd NSW team makes a lot of sense for return on investment. By sinking in $100,000,000 into a 3rd NSW team they will be aiming for 30,000 members within 20 years. I have seen first hand the effect the Giants have had in NSW and how active they and the Swans are at promoting the game through the community.

For all the flak the AFL cops regarding governance they are streets ahead on the NRL and with the addition of the AFLW they will be the dominant code in the Northern states over the next 50 years. And the AFL is thinking in decades, not years.

It really depends on population growth in WA over the next decade.

Increased migration etc like what Melbourne are experiencing opens up an opportunity to extract new dollars from those that currently don't go to the footy.

WA3 will happen eventually, our population growth will dictate when that happens though.

I don't agree that Melbourne clubs should be cut/relocated either - Victoria is growing at crazy rates and shows no sign of slowing down (both internal migration and external). The less affluent teams are starting to grow into themselves. Western Melbourne is the fastest growing region in the whole country - the Bulldogs financially have gone from strength to strength the last decade. The northern suburbs of Melbourne are also growing exponentially which will only be positive for North Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It won't be in WA. You aren't growing the game by plonking a 3rd team there, the AFL wants more eyeballs on TV, more people at grassroots and more corporate dollars. WA is an AFL state already, you aren't going to be converting fans over the next 20+ years with the dollars that would be invested in a new team.

The AFL will give Tassie a team for the PR plus the Tassie government will be required to commit to something silly like $10,000,000 a year for 10 years to get the AFL to commit. A 3rd NSW team makes a lot of sense for return on investment. By sinking in $100,000,000 into a 3rd NSW team they will be aiming for 30,000 members within 20 years. I have seen first hand the effect the Giants have had in NSW and how active they and the Swans are at promoting the game through the community.

For all the flak the AFL cops regarding governance they are streets ahead on the NRL and with the addition of the AFLW they will be the dominant code in the Northern states over the next 50 years. And the AFL is thinking in decades, not years.

Given how quickly expansion of the A-League teams in NSW. (Sydney FC, Wanderers, Newcastle, Central Coast and now McArthur FC) It wouldn't surprise me. You gotta remember the guy that wrote this article , Ryan Buckland, is a Western Australian who has worked for Deloitte Economics, so I'd back him if he believed from the financial side that it would be viable.

For NSW and Newcastle, I'd like to see regular AFL season matches played there by either the Swans or Giants, to test the market first. They play more games in Canberra than they do in Newcastle at the moment. I think the majority of Western Australians would support a 3rd team , if the licence did come this way. A fixture with 13 home fixtures out of 22, or 13 fixtures in WA out of 19 or 21- numbers that I m hearing would actually strengthen the WA clubs in my opinion. Less travel, 6 derbies and a better balance for the TV coverage. I also do agree that the WA people who are against this new team, would be filthy if they lost support to the newer club.

One or two things will trigger the 3rd WA franchise. A 1st new NRL team or a 19th Tasmanian team in the AFL. I also dont think WA, NSW or Tasmania will support a relocated Vic team or relocated Gold Coast team.

What would be the monikers for some of these new clubs?
  • Tasmanian Devils?
  • Newcastle Cavaliers?
  • Joondalup Jokers?
  • Armadale Bandits?
  • Forrestfield Rangers?
  • Ellenbrook Pirates?....

Even Tassie don't expect a team before 2025.If it happens before then I would be very surprised.
There is talk about them building a stadium up to AFL standards.That will take some time to get passed by Government.Then has to be built.
Where does the second team come from!!!! Who knows, but WA should not be looked at.
If it happens to come from WA, then will they get the same concessions that the GWS and GCS and Eagles and other got?
Remember that Fremantle did not get these concessions.They were promised, yet the AFL decided in their wisdom, after the Eagles won flags in 92 and 94 to stop Fremantle gaining the same concessions.
If they get the concessions it would seem that yet again we will see Fremantle as the poor relations.
Remember also that the Fat Greek wanted it to be a 20 team competition. Run as two conferences of ten.
Should Tassie
a team, then imagine the squeals coming from the rest of the competition.All clubs will be in favour, until they drop down the pecking order from one or two to ten or eleven.Then there will be a five year wait for the second team.Then it will all happen again.
The AFL is caught between a rock and a hard place here.By the time the Tassie talks get to real talk about a side, then we will have a new CEO. And who is to say that he would want another GWS, GCS fiasco.
Interesting times ahead.

Perth Royal Falcons
Joondalup Jaguars
Bunbury Bears
Perth Quokkas
Subiaco Chiefs
Margaret River Patriots
Kalgoorlie Koalas
Broome Titans

those are some of the names I though of around midnight
Girrawheen Goat Herders
Innaloo Browns
Swanbourne Nudes
Kalamunda Hill billies
Cockburn STD’s
Warwick Wackers

Last edited:
Even Tassie don't expect a team before 2025.If it happens before then I would be very surprised.
There is talk about them building a stadium up to AFL standards.That will take some time to get passed by Government.Then has to be built.
Where does the second team come from!!!! Who knows, but WA should not be looked at.
If it happens to come from WA, then will they get the same concessions that the GWS and GCS and Eagles and other got?
Remember that Fremantle did not get these concessions.They were promised, yet the AFL decided in their wisdom, after the Eagles won flags in 92 and 94 to stop Fremantle gaining the same concessions.
If they get the concessions it would seem that yet again we will see Fremantle as the poor relations.
Remember also that the Fat Greek wanted it to be a 20 team competition. Run as two conferences of ten.
Should Tassie
a team, then imagine the squeals coming from the rest of the competition.All clubs will be in favour, until they drop down the pecking order from one or two to ten or eleven.Then there will be a five year wait for the second team.Then it will all happen again.
The AFL is caught between a rock and a hard place here.By the time the Tassie talks get to real talk about a side, then we will have a new CEO. And who is to say that he would want another GWS, GCS fiasco.
Interesting times ahead.
The more I think of it, Its likely tassie will get a team in 2030. Then we get that 3rd WA side or even a canberra side.

Population of of Perth is 2 million. the overall population of WA is 2.5 million. The WA population grows by 2% a year or around 50,000. So by the end of this decade, the WA population will increase by 400-600,000, So around 3 million or even more.

I sometimes wish Subi wasnt demolished. Hell, they might turn one of the WAFL stadiums into a 25-30,000 botique stadium

The more I think of it, Its likely tassie will get a team in 2030. Then we get that 3rd WA side or even a canberra side.

Population of of Perth is 2 million. the overall population of WA is 2.5 million. The WA population grows by 2% a year or around 50,000. So by the end of this decade, the WA population will increase by 400-600,000, So around 3 million or even more.

I sometimes wish Subi wasnt demolished. Hell, they might turn one of the WAFL stadiums into a 25-30,000 botique stadium
I agree Subi should have been at-least half saved. A WAFL stadium wanting upgrade's is HBF Arena in Joondalup or Fremantle Oval.

All of that increase in population will most likely be AFL fans already. The AFL aren't interested in over servicing the current areas of strength. A 3rd WA team makes no sense, where will the fans come from? If the population increases by 500,000 in the next 10 years they will most likely be West Coast / Freo fans already. You don't change footy teams.

My son was born and within minutes he had a Freo beanie on his head, if he were to want to change teams to GWS or Sydney I would have to consider disowning him.

I wouldn't do it....... But I would think about it.

All of that increase in population will most likely be AFL fans already. The AFL aren't interested in over servicing the current areas of strength. A 3rd WA team makes no sense, where will the fans come from? If the population increases by 500,000 in the next 10 years they will most likely be West Coast / Freo fans already. You don't change footy teams.

My son was born and within minutes he had a Freo beanie on his head, if he were to want to change teams to GWS or Sydney I would have to consider disowning him.

I wouldn't do it....... But I would think about it.
I was an Eagles supporter and I'll wager a great percentage of Dockers supporters were.

There are many on this board, and many I have met in real life who nominally support Freo but are quick to get the boots in - as there are on the Eagles board. A third team would definitely get some leakage from both, then there are interstate immigrants who would look for a local team.

Don't wamt to see it, but lack of support would not be a stumbling block IMO.

I was an Eagles supporter and I'll wager a great percentage of Dockers supporters were.

There are many on this board, and many I have met in real life who nominally support Freo but are quick to get the boots in - as there are on the Eagles board. A third team would definitely get some leakage from both, then there are interstate immigrants who would look for a local team.

Potentially but the AFL doesn't care, they want new eyes on the game. Not transferring supporters from one club to another which is why they will go to NSW or QLD for a 3rd team.

Tassie will only get a team because the Tasmanian government will underwrite it and it looks good from a PR point of view.

I can't see the dynamics of the third team in Perth working.

The only way WA will get a third team is one based in a regional cientre. But that would require some WA regional city having a sudden economic and population boom and growing to say half a million people, and the chances of that are slim at best.

Like you I followed the Eagles only because they were a WA side, but refused to join the club because I always knew that there would be a side from Fremantle in the future.I dropped off well and truly in 1994 when the Dockers were announced,as I am sure a lot of others did.
But if there is a third WA side where would it be located is the question. Fremantle had and has a history that when the two Fremantle sides were strong in the WAFL then football in WA was strong.But other than Subiaco, what club has strength now in a vastly inferior WAFL to what was the case in 1987.Then even the case of the much weakened WAFL when Fremantle came in in 1994.
Given that the earliest time line for another WA club would be something like 2035,where will the players come from.It is my belief that there will be no WAFL around then.In fact the loss of the WAFL will happen a long time before then.
We will have no leakage as the date, if it happens will be far to far away for that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back