Prediction Third club for Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Like you I followed the Eagles only because they were a WA side, but refused to join the club because I always knew that there would be a side from Fremantle in the future.I dropped off well and truly in 1994 when the Dockers were announced,as I am sure a lot of others did.
But if there is a third WA side where would it be located is the question. Fremantle had and has a history that when the two Fremantle sides were strong in the WAFL then football in WA was strong.But other than Subiaco, what club has strength now in a vastly inferior WAFL to what was the case in 1987.Then even the case of the much weakened WAFL when Fremantle came in in 1994.
Given that the earliest time line for another WA club would be something like 2035,where will the players come from.It is my belief that there will be no WAFL around then.In fact the loss of the WAFL will happen a long time before then.
We will have no leakage as the date, if it happens will be far to far away for that.
The mighty Bombo Valley boys of course!

Like you I followed the Eagles only because they were a WA side, but refused to join the club because I always knew that there would be a side from Fremantle in the future.I dropped off well and truly in 1994 when the Dockers were announced,as I am sure a lot of others did.
But if there is a third WA side where would it be located is the question. Fremantle had and has a history that when the two Fremantle sides were strong in the WAFL then football in WA was strong.But other than Subiaco, what club has strength now in a vastly inferior WAFL to what was the case in 1987.Then even the case of the much weakened WAFL when Fremantle came in in 1994.
Given that the earliest time line for another WA club would be something like 2035,where will the players come from.It is my belief that there will be no WAFL around then.In fact the loss of the WAFL will happen a long time before then.
We will have no leakage as the date, if it happens will be far to far away for that.

No WAFL? So what would be the 2nd tier of footy?

The WAFL might be a bit different (lower salary cap etc), but I doubt it won't exist.

Well between the Cities of Wanneroo and Joondalup they are projected to grow from 320,000 to 740,000 residents by 2050. At that time Perth would have a population of 3.5million, with the 400,000 additional residents in Joondalup and Wanneroo being a third of all additional residents from Perth’s current population of 2.2million.

That could be your target area. Especially when you add in the population of the City of Swan which includes areas like Ellenbrook and Bullsbrook etc with an overall population projection to grow from 110,000 to 290,000 residents.

You could split Perth into thirds, each with about 1million residents to feed from.

The third team sets up in Joondalup to focus on all the suburbs north of Reid Hwy.

The Eagles take a focus on the central suburbs south of Reid Hwy and north of Leach Hwy, focused around their base at Mineral Resources Park.

And Freo take the southern suburbs and Peel that are south of Leach Hwy focused around the HQ at Cockburn (including Fremantle).

Last edited:

No WAFL? So what would be the 2nd tier of footy?

The WAFL might be a bit different (lower salary cap etc), but I doubt it won't exist.
Who knows,ask the AFL. They hold the key to the future of Aussie rules throughout Australia.They already have their feelers into junior football in WA,referring to it as AFL.QLD and NSW is run by the AFL.It is inevitable that the football right throughout Australia will be referred to as AFL.
They don't care about the history of WA or SA football.
Just look at the dismal numbers that attend WAFL matches now.In 1994 the WAFL was in trouble,I think struggling to get between 5 and 10 thousand to games.
The crowds at WAFL games now struggle to get 2,000.If they get that many , it considered a good crowd.Compare back to pre 87, the crowds were around 15/20,000.
The Eagles inclusion into the VFL/AFL killed what we knew of the great game here in WA.And I am not saying that the Eagles going in was wrong, but the WAFL bent over the barrel to get the licence for them They sold the game down the chute.
The AFL, rather than treat the second tier as associates, they treat them like the enemy.They don't give two hoots.
If it last the next ten years, I will be totally surprised.

Who knows,ask the AFL. They hold the key to the future of Aussie rules throughout Australia.They already have their feelers into junior football in WA,referring to it as AFL.QLD and NSW is run by the AFL.It is inevitable that the football right throughout Australia will be referred to as AFL.
Just look at the dismal numbers that attend WAFL matches now.In 1994 the WAFL was in trouble,I think struggling to get between 5 and 10 thousand to games.
The crowds at WAFL games now struggle to get 2,000.If they get that many , it considered a good crowd.Compare back to pre 87, the crowds were around 15/20,000.
The Eagles inclusion into the VFL/AFL killed what we knew of the great game here in WA.And I am not saying that the Eagles going in was wrong, but the WAFL bent over the barrel to get the licence for them They sold the game down the chute.
The AFL, rather than treat the second tier as associates, they treat them like the enemy.They don't give two hoots.

Not suggesting that the WAFL will be strong - far from it - but the football structure in WA is based on it. From Auskick to junior footy to under 18's to the seniors, it's all under a WAFL club zone. And in the most part, it achieves it's purpose.
Destroy the WAFL and you need to completely overhaul the entire football system. Which I don't think is in anyone's interests, let alone the AFLs.

Not suggesting that the WAFL will be strong - far from it - but the football structure in WA is based on it. From Auskick to junior footy to under 18's to the seniors, it's all under a WAFL club zone. And in the most part, it achieves it's purpose.
Destroy the WAFL and you need to completely overhaul the entire football system. Which I don't think is in anyone's interests, let alone the AFLs.
Doesn't the AFL have it fingers all over the under 18s now?
If the AFL can control football all over Australia, which they are trying to to, then the WAFL becomes irrelevant.
The WAFC are more AFL orientated than WAFL .They ,I believe, see the WAFL as a hindrance.
The WAFL will die a slow death and as it has been since 1987.

Well between the Cities of Wanneroo and Joondalup they are projected to grow from 320,000 to 740,000 residents by 2050. At that time Perth would have a population of 3.5million, with the 400,000 additional residents in Joondalup and Wanneroo being a third of all additional residents from Perth’s current population of 2.2million.

That could be your target area. Especially when you add in the population of the City of Swan which includes areas like Ellenbrook and Bullsbrook etc with an overall population projection to grow from 110,000 to 290,000 residents.

You could split Perth into thirds, each with about 1million residents to feed from.

The third team sets up in Joondalup to focus on all the suburbs north of Reid Hwy.

The Eagles take a focus on the central suburbs south of Reid Hwy and north of Leach Hwy, focused around their base at Mineral Resources Park.

And Freo take the southern suburbs and Peel that are south of Leach Hwy focused around the HQ at Cockburn (including Fremantle).
Or
Freo keep the supporters with the highest IQ,
Joondalup Jugheads the middle group
& the cretins continue 2 support the canaries

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Here's fox footy's take. They're saying either WA or SA are very good possibilities in addition to Tas within the decade. North Melbourne's contract to play games there ends in 2021.

I wish they would just dissolve the Suns and relocate the team. Never happen, but it should. I don't live in Australia, but I like the idea of a truly national competition. I can see why they wouldn't do it though.

Last edited:
Call them the Northern Warriors.
Base them out of Joondalup.
Play a couple games in NT
Preseason games in the Kimberley
Give them some academy privileges with remote communities in Northern Australia from the North west to FNQ.
Deadly.

All of that increase in population will most likely be AFL fans already. The AFL aren't interested in over servicing the current areas of strength. A 3rd WA team makes no sense, where will the fans come from? If the population increases by 500,000 in the next 10 years they will most likely be West Coast / Freo fans already. You don't change footy teams.

My son was born and within minutes he had a Freo beanie on his head, if he were to want to change teams to GWS or Sydney I would have to consider disowning him.

I wouldn't do it....... But I would think about it.
Well the bigger the population, the more likely seats will be bought.

I still remember the 2002-7 period for both Eagles and Dockers. Eagles were successful, even the dockers had mild success at the same time.

I remembered back in that 2002-7 period, eagles made finals and were regularly selling out subiaco oval. It came to the point where the eagles had 20,000 or so members on the waiting list. Some of them were on the waiting list for 2-4 years. It came to the point when some of them ran out of patience and decided to become Freo Members. I know this as some of my mates I know were in the same situation.

It also helped during the time Freo From 2002-7, gradually improved on field and off field.

2001, We got the spoon, 2002, we got 13th in 9 wins and 2003 we made finals. 2004-5, narrowly missed out in finals, 2006, made a prelim and got a finals win.

I was an Eagles supporter and I'll wager a great percentage of Dockers supporters were.

There are many on this board, and many I have met in real life who nominally support Freo but are quick to get the boots in - as there are on the Eagles board. A third team would definitely get some leakage from both, then there are interstate immigrants who would look for a local team.

Don't want to see it, but lack of support would not be a stumbling block IMO.
I am not suprised. A lot of Dockers fans are former west coast fans.

Hell some of those fans that supported west coast back in 1987 are east freo and south freo in the WAFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there was a 3rd AFL team in WA and its Based in Perth, It would be likely to pillage 3 WAFL teams for local talent: West Perth, East Perth and Perth.

People bag out Gerard Neesham for getting all those Claremont guys in the Fremantle side in 1995. Neesham chased after players he was familar with. But hey, Did freo have 100 1st round picks? No. Fremantle didnt have the Advantages GC or GWS had.

Go Look at the Adelaide Crows. Their 1st Coach was Graham Cornes. His Previous job was Coaching Glenelg from 1985-1990. He got Glenelg back to back flags in 1985-6. Chris McDermott was the crows 1st captain. What club did he come from the SANFL? Yep you guessed it, Glenelg. Tony McGuiness played 5-6 years with Footscray, plays in the Crows in 1991 and became their captain in 1995-6. He too is from Glenelg in the SANFL too. A fair few Glenelg players were in that Crows 1991 team.

Fremantle didnt have a talent scout to Look at the WAFL for the past 2 years. If they did, it might of worked out better. GC and GWS had their own reserve teams before they came to the AFL. They also had scouts and recruiters looking for talent for 1-2 years as well The AFL paid for it too.

West coast, only had 35 players in 1987. But of those 8 WAFL clubs in 1986, eagles could only take a maxium of 6 players per WAFL club. Considering Subiaco and east freo both finished top 2 and made the 1986 grand final, it would be unfair for the eagles to pillage Subi and East freo by taking 10 players each from subi and east freo.

SANFL suffered a similar fate.

At one point, especially around the 1980s, you could make an Argument that the SANFL was the best Aussie rules league out of the big 3 between the SANFL, the WAFL and VFL.

In that 1980s period, you were getting 8-12,000 people a game in SANFL games until the crows went to the AFL in 1991.

From 1991-96, it averaged around 4-6,000.

Your average SANFL game now days averages around 1-2,000 a game.

Point is, the AFL clubs have slowly killed off the SANFL.

Sadly All the SANFL clubs heavily rely on pokies to stay alive.

You got 1.5 million people living in SA. its $8 for a concession ticket and $14 for an Adult game in the SANFL and in some games you can go in there for free after 3 quarter time.

So why doesnt SANFL teams average 5,000 a game?

Well the bigger the population, the more likely seats will be bought.

I still remember the 2002-7 period for both Eagles and Dockers. Eagles were successful, even the dockers had mild success at the same time.

I remembered back in that 2002-7 period, eagles made finals and were regularly selling out subiaco oval. It came to the point where the eagles had 20,000 or so members on the waiting list. Some of them were on the waiting list for 2-4 years. It came to the point when some of them ran out of patience and decided to become Freo Members. I know this as some of my mates I know were in the same situation.

It also helped during the time Freo From 2002-7, gradually improved on field and off field.

2001, We got the spoon, 2002, we got 13th in 9 wins and 2003 we made finals. 2004-5, narrowly missed out in finals, 2006, made a prelim and got a finals win.

I am not suprised. A lot of Dockers fans are former west coast fans.

Hell some of those fans that supported west coast back in 1987 are east freo and south freo in the WAFL.

How does any of this grow the game of AFL? Aussie rules is arleady the number 1 TV sport in WA, adding a 3rd team won't have the same effect asgrowing the game in NSW / QLD.

NSW & QLD grass roots Rugby League is suffering, the AFL will be looking to take advantage of the next 10-20 years. They are thinking in decades and centuries.

How does any of this grow the game of AFL? Aussie rules is arleady the number 1 TV sport in WA, adding a 3rd team won't have the same effect asgrowing the game in NSW / QLD.

NSW & QLD grass roots Rugby League is suffering, the AFL will be looking to take advantage of the next 10-20 years. They are thinking in decades and centuries.
Why do you think the AFL added a 2nd side in Queensland and NSW? To add more people and viewers to the game. Plus the population of Queensland and NSW is growing.

AFL knows WAs population is growing too.

Again, Had WA not had Perth Stadium, and both WA clubs still played at that 43,500 seat subi, It would be easy to have that 3rd WA team in that oval.

It would be like Freo, how they were averaging 15-20,000 at 1st then 30,000 once success comes in.

Why do you think the AFL added a 2nd side in Queensland and NSW? To add more people and viewers to the game. Plus the population of Queensland and NSW is growing.

AFL knows WAs population is growing too.

Again, Had WA not had Perth Stadium, and both WA clubs still played at that 43,500 seat subi, It would be easy to have that 3rd WA team in that oval.

It would be like Freo, how they were averaging 15-20,000 at 1st then 30,000 once success comes in.

WA people are already AFL fans. Adding a 3rd team won't create new fans, they will just transfer from WC / Freo fans to the new side.

They add more sides in NSW / QLD to improve engagement, especially at the grass roots level. The amount of outreach Sydney and GWS do is astounding.

WA people are already AFL fans. Adding a 3rd team won't create new fans, they will just transfer from WC / Freo fans to the new side.

They add more sides in NSW / QLD to improve engagement, especially at the grass roots level. The amount of outreach Sydney and GWS do is astounding.
Yeah but i personally want a 3rd AFL team so Freo has 13 games out of 22 in WA.

Does anyone think there would be a market for a Third club in Perth? Obviously we would stick with Fremantle. We had 8 WAFL clubs in the 70s, 4 of which were fairly well supported.

Our population has increased substantially since then although we have many more distractions. You could argue that WA doesn't yet have a club representing Perth itself...

Does anyone think there would be a market for a Third club in Perth? Obviously we would stick with Fremantle. We had 8 WAFL clubs in the 70s, 4 of which were fairly well supported.

Our population has increased substantially since then although we have many more distractions. You could argue that WA doesn't yet have a club representing Perth itself...

go four sides to have two teams play each weekend

Perth Royals (perhaps the two WAFL club East Perth (central suburbs) and West Perth (northern suburbs) clubs)

Forrest would finance a side.............Western Force (the new force in the AFL)

go four sides to have two teams play each weekend

Perth Royals (perhaps the two WAFL club East Perth (central suburbs) and West Perth (northern suburbs) clubs)

Forrest would finance a side.............Western Force (the new force in the AFL)

The player pool could be increased by requiring all clubs to play 4 players from the 90s.
The Melbourne clubs might be required to play players from the postcode where their original home ground was, give home a real meaning.

More o_O

I reckon it should definitely include the name Perth. I love the ‘merging’ of WAFL teams. South Freo (Red&White) with East Freo (Blue&White) to make Fremantle (Purple&White). It would need some refining but something like the Perth Royal Falcons playing in Red, Blue and Black, and incorporating the history of Perth, West Perth and East Perth would be awesome. People need something to identify with and the history of the WAFL in WA I feel is important

AFL football isn't, either. Soccer is #1 among kids, immigration is changing the demographics faster than most realise. Including the AFL itself, or maybe they're just milking it for all it's worth before it becomes redundant in a few decades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back