Prediction Third club for Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon it should definitely include the name Perth. I love the ‘merging’ of WAFL teams. South Freo (Red&White) with East Freo (Blue&White) to make Fremantle (Purple&White).

The colour scheme was totally by coincidence. I don't think the AFL or WAFC wanted any affiliation with East and South when it came to the Dockers inception.

The colour scheme was totally by coincidence. I don't think the AFL or WAFC wanted any affiliation with East and South when it came to the Dockers inception.
It was as much that South's and East's didn't want to work together. I don't think that the AFL would have given two hoots.

AFL football isn't, either. Soccer is #1 among kids, immigration is changing the demographics faster than most realise. Including the AFL itself, or maybe they're just milking it for all it's worth before it becomes redundant in a few decades.
I think the AFL is acutely aware. They have often said that soccer is their biggest threat. It is the reason why they have been so keen to expand their league even though most of their rusted on fans don't really want them too.

I'm sure on a perfect world the AFL would like one unified system of football Australia-eide which would allow for a fully professional minor league.

That is the way TY o increase jobs which, in turn, increases the likelihood of talented junior athletes choosing Aussie Rules as a career.

Unfortunately, old school stare leagues like the VFL, SANFL, and WAFL are a big impediment to a stronger, more professional second tier.

Merge Perth, West Perth and East Perth to create the Perth Panthers.

Colours would be red, black and blue. Maybe the jumper similar to either St Kilda or Footscray.

Base them at Joondalup.

Call the F&B medal Cable/Farmer medal

Best new player - McIntosh medal

Community - Dennis Commetti medal

Goal Kicking - Herb Loel medal

Best team player - Jack Sheedy medal

South Western Sharks
Based @ HBF Arena Joondalup
Plays home games in one of; Albany and Bunbury every year an alternates every year.

Does anyone think there would be a market for a Third club in Perth? Obviously we would stick with Fremantle. We had 8 WAFL clubs in the 70s, 4 of which were fairly well supported.

Our population has increased substantially since then although we have many more distractions. You could argue that WA doesn't yet have a club representing Perth itself...

Just out of interest, which are the four WAFL clubs you think were well-supported in the 70s? I would include West Perth, East Perth and South Freo.

The AFL has had discussion from Joondalup to host a third AFL team, there would be many things to talk about but it would have some positives.

All three clubs would petition the AFL to play the others both twice and I expect the AFL will allow that because it will be the resolution in their eyes to the WA clubs travelling multiples of the next most travelling team.

If they keep the season at 22 games then we would play all 19 other teams then the Eagles, Falcons and one more team twice. Eleven home games and another two games in Perth.

The AFL grounds are the choke though, I don't see how we can not have more six day breaks if we play in a state where there has to be a game on two of Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

You're assuming a Joondalup team would be the Falcons but it appears that the AFL prefers the new franchise option, which they can more easily control and manipulate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast is too powerful and well supported for there to be an an independent start up team.
The only way a third team in WA could have any support is if West Coast Eagles got split into two teams - Perth Eagles and West Coast Falcons.
If WC fans were split in two (not literally), there would be three teams with equal support.

i quite like that idea of splitting WCE supporters into two literally!

The way I see it FFC Represents the greater Freo area, WC represents the West Coast, so say an area of land from the lapping ocean water up to perhaps 25 meters onto land, from say Augusta to Exmouth (Excluding of course the greater Fremantle area that also happens to be on the west coast). So there is ample realestate available for the 3rd team to represent. Perhaps the Broome, Meekatharra, Kalgoorlie, Albany and surrounding areas, plus Perth, which isn't in the WC zone given its more than 25 meters from the coast. That area should provide the 3rd team with well over 2 million potential supporters.

Relocate West Coast to California and they can keep their (stupid) name!

How about the swan districts. The black swans. Incorporating the eastern suburbs & also taking in the red heart of oz with links to alice springs. The black swans. From kalgoorlie to armadale\halls creek to Ayres rock. Flying down the gunbarrel highway. Here comes the black swan with her fiery red heart.

This could work, in my opinion, in a Port Adelaide kind of way. Existing Swan Districts fans would rally to the cause and existing fans who don't attend WAFL games would emerge out of the woodwork. They have an existing identity and territory and are far from the other two AFL clubs.

What would be the monikers for some of these new clubs?
  • Tasmanian Devils?
  • Newcastle Cavaliers?
  • Joondalup Jokers?
  • Armadale Bandits?
  • Forrestfield Rangers?
  • Ellenbrook Pirates?....
There is a soccer club called Joondalup Jacks with a jack playing card as the emblem. That could work - they could buy it off the soccer club.

I reckon it should definitely include the name Perth. I love the ‘merging’ of WAFL teams. South Freo (Red&White) with East Freo (Blue&White) to make Fremantle (Purple&White). It would need some refining but something like the Perth Royal Falcons playing in Red, Blue and Black, and incorporating the history of Perth, West Perth and East Perth would be awesome. People need something to identify with and the history of the WAFL in WA I feel is important

West Perth and East Perth have always been arch-enemies, with even more animosity between them than EF and SF. Wouldn't Perth and East Perth OR West Perth and Perth both be better ideas?

Relocate West Coast to California and they can keep their (stupid) name!
There are heaps of Eagles in Australia - head out East before you get to the Nullabor and you'll see them all along the roads eating dead roos.
Technically, the Eagles could have named themselves the Wedgetails and it would have been more Australian fauna-appropriate, and just think - they could have been called the Wedgies. I'd be down with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back