Prediction Third club for Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Team should be based out of joondy.
The joondalup car jackers.
Fastest growing area.
Also dilute the eagles support up that way & might pull a few of those English geezers away from that soccer game.

The Joondalup Royals should get most of the poms on board.

The Eagles supporters up that way won’t jump off while they’re going well, but a few years in the bottom 6 while the new Royals are going well and it’d be like rats off a sinking ship.

The Joondalup Royals should get most of the poms on board.

The Eagles supporters up that way won’t jump off while they’re going well, but a few years in the bottom 6 while the new Royals are going well and it’d be like rats off a sinking ship.
Not bad

Yes, my name is Michael. Hahahahaha. Small world!!

If you are the guy I'm thinking of, it is awesome to meet you again through here and it would be nice to have a beer one day when I'm in Perth again. Remember that day we nearly got beaten up at Bassendean Oval after singing the "Old McDonald has a stand" song? Then there was the 1984 Sandover Medal Count night at Perth Entertainment Centre which was a ball. These were our members if i remember correctly: Me, Mike B, Courtney, Rohan, Thommo, Thommo Junior, PA and Len, Half, Ben, Mike and Pete C, Tony and Mario, Rob...

interesting thought...

Would a 3rd team strengthen or weaken the existing 2 clubs?
I don't think it would have any influence on the strength of either of the existing teams.

On field strength is determined by:

a) decisions made during trade week and the draft. Which apart from a few initial concessions won't be any different for WA#3 compared to the the original teams.

b) club culture and decision-makung which depends mostly on the Footy Dept senior managers and secondarily on the pkayer's leadership group. Neither of those are influenced by what happens at other clubs.

Off field strength is determined by on field success. Sponsors, members, media attention , and fans will follow winning teams. If WA#3 have on field success they will get their share of off-field money, attention,and love. That doesn't impact on other teams because money, attention and love aren't a zero sum game.
Depends on certain situations.

Johnny Dalmas has it summed up well.

They dont need 10-12 17 year olds. Each team had 43 players: 38 in the main squad and 5 in the rookie list.

the Startup is for this club to give them some concessions but in moderation. 20 Players with AFL experience.

So 8-12 free agents from other AFL clubs.

8-12 prelisted players or access to 8-12 delisted players from other clubs. so give them a bunch of rejects/fringe players aged 22-25 that has played 4-6 years from their previous clubs and has played 20-40 games each.

14 draft picks. The 1st 2 picks in each round. Actually give them the 1st 4 picks so they get the early access of core players: 1 kpd or KPD/KPF swingman. One Ruckman or Forward/ruck, and 2 mids. They dont need 9 of the 1st 15 picks if they are going to use most of their picks on WA, SA and Victorian players.

Also hand them 6-8 rookie list picks.

So that means they have 40-42 players. 34 players in the main squad and 6-8 rookie players. They will struggle for the 1st 2-4 seasons but can improve.

I sort of wished Subiaco wasnt demolished as that would of been the right ground to start them off. Joondalup sounds good. or let them play in Perth stadium.

If you are the guy I'm thinking of, it is awesome to meet you again through here and it would be nice to have a beer one day when I'm in Perth again. Remember that day we nearly got beaten up at Bassendean Oval after singing the "Old McDonald has a stand" song? Then there was the 1984 Sandover Medal Count night at Perth Entertainment Centre which was a ball. These were our members if i remember correctly: Me, Mike B, Courtney, Rohan, Thommo, Thommo Junior, PA and Len, Half, Ben, Mike and Pete C, Tony and Mario, Rob...
That would be awesome. Bassendean was always scary 😂

Draft concession wise the concessions given to GC and GWS weren’t actually that far off imo. What the AFL should’ve done is limited the amount 18 year olds (maybe excluding local talent) that these two clubs were aloud to have on their list in year one. The picks should’ve been there so that if GC or GWS needed to pay overs for contracted players they could.

Eight of the best 18 year olds, plus local talent would’ve been more than enough. Most of the others were delisted within 3-4 years anyway.

Between eight of the first 15 picks in the draft and the 12 pre-listed 17 year olds, that’s plenty of trade currency that should’ve and could’ve been used.

Draft concession wise the concessions given to GC and GWS weren’t actually that far off imo. What the AFL should’ve done is limited the amount 18 year olds (maybe excluding local talent) that these two clubs were aloud to have on their list in year one. The picks should’ve been there so that if GC or GWS needed to pay overs for contracted players they could.

Eight of the best 18 year olds, plus local talent would’ve been more than enough. Most of the others were delisted within 3-4 years anyway.

Between eight of the first 15 picks in the draft and the 12 pre-listed 17 year olds, that’s plenty of trade currency that should’ve and could’ve been used.
handing them 12 pre listed 17 year Olds would of been interesting. Then again..... You really want a repeat of Essendon giving us 2 average players for matty Lloyd and scott Lucas??

Both GWS and gold coast were both given 9 of the 1st 15 picks because the AFL half expected them to trade at 3-5 of those 1st rounders away for experienced players. Guess what ? They didn't and if Freo had those picks in 1994-5 I wouldn't either.

As I said if WA had a 3rd AFL team and it started from scratch like the eagles and dockers, Again, as I said, they just need the 1st 2 draft picks of each round. Thats 14 draft picks.

They don't need 9 pick in the 1st 15 rounds. A decent scout can get decent kids in the 2nd and 3rd round as well, not just the 1st round.

handing them 12 pre listed 17 year Olds would of been interesting. Then again..... You really want a repeat of Essendon giving us 2 average players for matty Lloyd and scott Lucas??

Both GWS and gold coast were both given 9 of the 1st 15 picks because the AFL half expected them to trade at 3-5 of those 1st rounders away for experienced players. Guess what ? They didn't and if Freo had those picks in 1994-5 I wouldn't either.

As I said if WA had a 3rd AFL team and it started from scratch like the eagles and dockers, Again, as I said, they just need the 1st 2 draft picks of each round. Thats 14 draft picks.

They don't need 9 pick in the 1st 15 rounds. A decent scout can get decent kids in the 2nd and 3rd round as well, not just the 1st round.

Jeremy Cameron, Adam Treloer, Dylan Shiel and Nathan Wilson were 17 year old picks for GWS. Reckon I’ve missed good ones too.

A lot of others were probably delisted after 2-3 years.

Jeremy Cameron, Adam Treloer, Dylan Shiel and Nathan Wilson were 17 year old picks for GWS. Reckon I’ve missed good ones too.

A lot of others were probably delisted after 2-3 years.
you are probably right. Some stayed at the club and became key players. Guys like Nathan Wilson and Jono Patton were traded. This 3rd WA as I said just needs 2 rounders in each of the 7 rounds. This club could easily use some picks on local players in the WAFL or even use some picks on gun Victorian players and trade them for 1st rounders 2-4 years later.

Freo didn't have near as many concession picks. Just a bunch of Claremont dudes Neesham was familiar with and got 8 wins out of 22. Freo were competitive in 1995 despite the lack of players and financial resources.

Third team in WA? I wouldn't change alegence but I absolutely support it. I think anything to make the Vics travel more and us less is a bonus.

CHances of it happening have to be low. Perhaps if there is a move to start a team in Tassie. But to be honest if the AFL wanted a tassie they should tell NM or Hawks to move. Also seriously unlikely.

That would be awesome. Bassendean was always scary 😂

Scary alright - and we loved it! But we Swannies fans always admired your passion. And as I recall, the Cardinals beat those great Swan Districts sides of the early 80s more than they were entitled to (more than Claremont anyway, which was what counted for us!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scary alright - and we loved it! But we Swannies fans always admired your passion. And as I recall, the Cardinals beat those great Swan Districts sides of the early 80s more than they were entitled to (more than Claremont anyway, which was what counted for us!)

Yes, you are right. In 1982-84, West Perth beat Swans 5 times out of 9 in the home-and-away rounds. We might have had a chance in the 1982 GF but Claremont thrashed us in the preliminary final. I was there, in the middle-tier of the old three-tier stand at Subiaco Oval, with my Dad - Warren Ralph gave poor Ray Holden a hiding. Then in 1983 and 1984 we missed the finals altogether. (Btw, Ray Holden was a legend with his earring and his mullet).

Basso was scary - it's the only WAFL ground where the atmosphere was hostile all the time and you felt that opposition fans never had any moral right to be there., according to the locals. Just entering the ground you felt like an (outnumbered) invading force.

Yes, psychologically you Swannies had Claremont's measure. I wanted to do a bet on Swans to win the 1982 GF (or maybe 1983) with our Claremont-supporting Maths teacher, Mrs Machin. She said: "I don't bet with students." She would have lost.

Last edited:
you are probably right. Some stayed at the club and became key players. Guys like Nathan Wilson and Jono Patton were traded. This 3rd WA as I said just needs 2 rounders in each of the 7 rounds. This club could easily use some picks on local players in the WAFL or even use some picks on gun Victorian players and trade them for 1st rounders 2-4 years later.

Freo didn't have near as many concession picks. Just a bunch of Claremont dudes Neesham was familiar with and got 8 wins out of 22. Freo were competitive in 1995 despite the lack of players and financial resources.

I know I'm heading off-topic, but when you look at the respective squads they had, Freo's effort in 1995 is actually better than what the West Coasters achieved in 1987.

I know I'm heading off-topic, but when you look at the respective squads they had, Freo's effort in 1995 is actually better than what the West Coasters achieved in 1987.
Eagles were solid in 1987. 11 wins and 11 losses in 22 games. But they had only 7 players with VFL experience. 2 of them played for Collingwood. John Annear was one of them. The rest of them were 18-22 year Olds.

Freos 1995 squad get 8 wins and 14 defeats. Slightly inflated as Freo beat Fitzroy twice but was competitive.

Freo had like 10-12 players that played AFL from other clubs even though most of them played 20-40 games each.

Eagles were solid in 1987. 11 wins and 11 losses in 22 games. But they had only 7 players with VFL experience. 2 of them played for Collingwood. John Annear was one of them. The rest of them were 18-22 year Olds.

Freos 1995 squad get 8 wins and 14 defeats. Slightly inflated as Freo beat Fitzroy twice but was competitive.

Freo had like 10-12 players that played AFL from other clubs even though most of them played 20-40 games each.

Yes, but the talent pool in the WAFL was much better overall in 1986 than in 1994 so it is not comparable. Look at the quality talent West Coast got from East Fremantle and Subiaco, in particular*, at the end of the 1986 season (Wrensted, Mainwaring RIP, Dwayne Lamb, Scott, Keene, MacNish, Zanotti, etc.) - that quality and quantity of talent wasn't really running around in the WAFL by 1994. The WAFL had been a second-tier competition for seven years and this had really begun to show.

*WAFL premiers Subiaco only lost to VFL premiers Hawthorn by two points in a friendly game at the end of the 1986 season.

PS. I'm surprised to see a Fremantle fan like yourself defending those boys from West Coast in any case.

Last edited:
Yes, but the talent pool in the WAFL was much better overall in 1986 than in 1994 so it is not comparable. Look at the quality talent West Coast got from East Fremantle and Subiaco, in particular*, at the end of the 1986 season (Wrensted, Mainwaring RIP, Dwayne Lamb, Scott, Keene, MacNish, Zanotti, etc.) - that quality and quantity of talent wasn't really running around in the WAFL by 1994. The WAFL had been a second-tier competition for seven years and this had really begun to show.

Also Freo had only about 7 ex-AFL players in 1995, not 10-12 as you claim:

1. Stephen O’Reilly – 146 games (36 Geelong/98 Fremantle/12 Carlton).

2. Dale Kickett – 181 games (15 Fitzroy/2 West Coast/21 St Kilda/8 Essendon/135 Fremantle).

3. Ben Allan (captain) – 145 games (98 Hawthorn/47 Fremantle).

4. Peter Mann – 116 games (39 North Melbourne/77 Fremantle).

5. Todd Ridley – 48 games (25 Essendon/21 Fremantle/2 Hawthorn).

6. Jason Norrish – 148 games (20 Melbourne/128 Fremantle).

7. Tony Delaney – 76 games (15 Essendon/28 Fremantle/33 St Kilda).

*WAFL premiers Subiaco only lost to VFL premiers Hawthorn by two points in a friendly game at the end of the 1986 season.

PS. I'm surprised to see a Fremantle fan like yourself defending those boys from West Coast in any case.

First Fremantle Docketrs team, round 1, 1995:
One player over 50 games that played in the first game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back