World Cup Third place playoff: Brazil vs Netherlands (13th July 6:00AM AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the 3rd place playoff actually. It means a lot to some teams like Croatia in 98 and Turkey 2002 and there would be more. Some teams want that bronze medal, for some it goes a long way to giving them some happiness, redemption and leaving the tournament on a good note.

Good call. Though they lost, South Korea were pretty happy to play the 2001 version too I'm sure, Poland '82 were pleased to get their bronze. Then there's the 1990 version (Eng v Ita) which is famously regarded as "the game that should have been the Final".

BRAZIL 1 (Oscar 23)
NETHERLANDS 5 (Sneijder 53, 81; Robben 74, 78; Van Persie 85)

I genuinely feel for the Brazilians. They will be absolutely shot (metaphorically speaking) from the Semi-Final disaster, and their confidence may take years to recover. Silva is a big return but the Götterdämmerung (kudos to whoever decided to attach a Wagnerian title to the German demolition job on Wednesday morning) will surely play hugely on the minds of the Brazilians. If they lose again, expect the national sorrow and disbelief to transition to anger very quickly.

I'm very fascinated to see what team Scolari chooses for this match. Will players like David Luis and Fernandinho be given a chance to redeem themselves for the semi-final or will he go for an inexperienced line-up and give Brazil's future a taste of the big stage? Also interested to see how many locals attend this match and whether they rally behind their nation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked like he tried to give away a professional foul just outside the box but got stung with a penalty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back