Third Stadium in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Its a matter of time that a third stadium in Melbourne is constructed. It makes complete sense and considering that crowd numbers are declining, and the way that sport is consumed is now more than ever done digitally, a third stadium, owned by the AFL gives them another asset and another attractive proposition for the smaller Victorian clubs.

Royal park area would be ideal or near the airport to allow for future development. 30/35k capacity maximum. At an estimate would be maximum 400M to build. Allows Marvel to continue to rented out throughout the season to multiple other events such as UFC, WWE, Boxing, Concerts, Soccer, State of Origin etc.

North/WB/Ess/St.k could all play home games there.

With North moving back to Melbourne full time theres another 3/4 games they will need to find room for, as well as St.kilda giving away their Cairns games, and Hawthorn will move back to the MCG full time shortly, having a knock on affect with where to schedule these games.

There is no need for a third stadium. The MCG and Marvel are in perfect locations and suit us well. If clubs need extra home games they sell games to regional areas and make some coin.

NM will be wanting to find a replacement for Hobart and I predict a regional area like Bendigo will fill that need. Lavington is also another quality ground that could host NM games.

There is no need for a third stadium. The MCG and Marvel are in perfect locations and suit us well. If clubs need extra home games they sell games to regional areas and make some coin.

NM will be wanting to find a replacement for Hobart and I predict a regional area like Bendigo will fill that need. Lavington is also another quality ground that could host NM games.

I think there is. Build another one before teams like Collingwood and Richmond look to build their own i.e EPL clubs.

Its too big. Rare that H & A matches draw 50k these days. Glory days of large crowds are over.

Large crowds are in decline because only diehards only go now. The easiest fixes are:
1. 17 round season - teams play each other once - all games will matter and hold a higher value
2. Reward those who go to H&A games with priority finals access. Right now corporates can skip the H&A junk and parachute in for finals games. Makes no sense to continuously go to H&A games with no reward.

Large crowds are in decline because only diehards only go now. The easiest fixes are:
1. 17 round season - teams play each other once - all games will matter and hold a higher value
2. Reward those who go to H&A games with priority finals access. Right now corporates can skip the H&A junk and parachute in for finals games. Makes no sense to continuously go to H&A games with no reward.

Good points, certainly worth considering however it is heading rapidly towards just being a TV game similar to MLB and NBA. hence the Thursday night push.

So we Vic taxpayers pick up the tab for clubs that choose to spend their money on big salaries & 'keeping up with the Joneses' down at Geelong/the Pies/the Hawks. :thumbsdown:

I don't mind the idea, but location is everything
Agree completely, but if a third venue must be in Melbourne, why not use an existing venue? Whitten Oval which is undergoing major redevelopment as an 18,000 capacity venue with game lighting and right next to a railway line comes to mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't agree with building a brand new 25k-30k seater in a random spot in Melbourne and shoving the usual suspects in because reasons. A lot more than the stadium location needs to be considered: public transport, parking, weather (it's a thing, look at Waverley), local topography etc. Not withstanding that the clubs named do draw larger crowds on occasion, so you end up playing a bunch of home games at Marvel anyway, and any potential home finals at the MCG, which we already barely play at.

I'd prefer Moorabbin be upgraded to a 20k seater and used a limited number of times a year at AFL level as well as for our VFL, VFLW and AFLW sides. If it's successful, we can upgrade it further to 40k and play all our home games there.

The biggest issue is the stadium deals. 40-45 games at both MCG and Marvel are contracted each year.

Ideal situation would see Marvel become an event stadium (ie concerts, events, international sports and the odd AFL game). No more AFL 40-45 game contract.

A 40k seat stadium built in the north/west of the city, either around Ardern train station or Princes Park. Would host North, Dogs, Essendon and Blues games. (Essendon and Blues would still play some home games at the MCG). Looking at 30 games a year.

A 40k seat stadium built in the south/east of the city, either Junction Oval or further down towards Moorabbin. Would host Saints and Hawks, as well as the odd Melbourne/Pies/Richmond game. Looking at 30 games a year.

MCG would continue to host majority of Melbourne/Pies/Richmond games, as well as a few Dons/Blues/Hawks games. Looking at 40 games a year.

Geelong play 11 games in Geelong.

No more selling games interstate to tassie, ballarat etc.

Sandown Racecourse is still on the market would be a great area for a new stadium for the people in the south east who have missed out since Waverley Park was shut down.
Could easy put a 60k stadium there with a roof on it get a tram line built from Monash University to the ground then have it go to Dandenong.
East link 5 minutes down the rd to take people North and South after games have open space built around the ground with a Hotel built in a compound next to ground for visiting teams.
Put Hawthorn-soon to be Dingley Based
and St.Kilda-Moorabbin based as co Tennents of the new ground could host music events and other events when AFL is not on.
I’m sick of every ground having to be built in the city and funding giving to clubs like Geelong who give out between 100 to 200 ticket to visiting teams when eventually the ground will sit 40k.
Time the South East was looked after and I still cry Waverley Park was shut.

Not being a Melbournian, but I see this as the better strategy for the AFL.

Get games into secondary markets. And continue to use it’s own asset of Docklands.

An extra stadium means more stadium operating costs, whilst stadium revenue is spread thinner…

It’s not exactly like there are too many games at the MCG and Docklands that they can’t cope.

There is a reason the Melbourne teams play in 2 large fantastic stadiums, and not 9 small local fields.

I think there is. Build another one before teams like Collingwood and Richmond look to build their own i.e EPL clubs.
They'd need a stadium of about 60k since they can draw that figure regularly. The money is big enough in the EPL to build a stadium that large, since they have at least 25 home games a season counting cups and European competition. I doubt AFL club could afford to do the same with 11 games in a less profitable league, especially when the MCG is right there for big crowds.

I prefer the idea that Rickee and others had of the smaller clubs building their own stadia of 25-40k instead of Marvel. That at least might be a size clubs can afford to build.

Its too big. Rare that H & A matches draw 50k these days. Glory days of large crowds are over.

That’s not because it’s too big.

Sure, you can expect a few reserve seats not appearing on any given day, but the lvl2 centerwing/medallion club/corporates never turn up anymore. Furthermore, the cost, what is considered GA compared to the past, how tickets that are available are presented during the week vs what is available later (both members and public) All designed to nickle and dime more than ever and discourages purchases more than ever. It has taken its toll on the last two years. People don’t like digital only either.

No more AFL 40-45 game contract.

If there is no contract amount being forced that can affects other Vic teams home games, what is the issue with playing games regionally? Why force numbers on another stadium?

Last edited:
Agree completely, but if a third venue must be in Melbourne, why not use an existing venue? Whitten Oval which is undergoing major redevelopment as an 18,000 capacity venue with game lighting and right next to a railway line comes to mind.
There's not enough space around the ground to build grandstands without major changes to road infrastructure which would be very costly.

The biggest issue is the stadium deals. 40-45 games at both MCG and Marvel are contracted each year.

Ideal situation would see Marvel become an event stadium (ie concerts, events, international sports and the odd AFL game). No more AFL 40-45 game contract.

A 40k seat stadium built in the north/west of the city, either around Ardern train station or Princes Park. Would host North, Dogs, Essendon and Blues games. (Essendon and Blues would still play some home games at the MCG). Looking at 30 games a year.

A 40k seat stadium built in the south/east of the city, either Junction Oval or further down towards Moorabbin. Would host Saints and Hawks, as well as the odd Melbourne/Pies/Richmond game. Looking at 30 games a year.

MCG would continue to host majority of Melbourne/Pies/Richmond games, as well as a few Dons/Blues/Hawks games. Looking at 40 games a year.

Geelong play 11 games in Geelong.

Pies in the south east lol, get ****ed. Our heartland is in the north of Melbourne our zone was the old DVFL. While we are well supported all throughout Melbourne you don’t want to move the club to a location that will be hard for so many to get to

Pies in the south east lol, get *ed. Our heartland is in the north of Melbourne our zone was the old DVFL. While we are well supported all throughout Melbourne you don’t want to move the club to a location that will be hard for so many to get to
I was talking maybe one home game (if that) at the junction against a gws. Nothing more than that. All (other) home games at the MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back