Fourth Test team

Remove this Banner Ad

Or even better, under Justin Langer he averaged 26, under the great Andrew McDonald he averages 48!
You make a strong point. Andrew McDonald is the answer to our all-rounder problem.

Tim Paine's the wicket-keeper batting at #7. So that's kind of irrelevant. But the current top 6 have the following first-class hundreds:

Finch - 7
Harris - 9
Khawaja - 27
Marsh - 26
Handscombe - 14
Head - 7

And for comparison's sake:

Steve Smith - 37
David Warner - 28
Cameron Bancroft - 11

You have to take age into account. Marsh is 10 years older than Head. Khawaja and Finch about 8 years. Of course they will have more hundreds.

Last edited:
I get where you are coming from, but Harris is coming from so far back with his average that I don't think it's a huge concern.

He averaged 26 for WA. If he never managed to get selected for WA and before going to Victoria he'd average 48. He's a completely different batsman from then.

Our batting is poor at the moment, but Harris is the kind of guy I can at least see average in the low 40's at test level.

Understand that. But normally someone like Harris would have to perform at a much higher level at FC cricket to get a go which would balance out his poor seasons. But now a young bloke hits 2 or 3 first class hundreds and is considered the next big thing meaning we don't actually know of their average is representative of their talent.

There's been plenty of young blokes have a good start to their career, be talked up and then have flat patches in their early 20s and never kick on lately.

Maddinson, Patterson, Cartright, Dean, Renshaw etc.
Their average reflects that they haven't proven to be good FC players yet.

15 years ago we had blokes putting up 1000 run seasons over and over again and still not getting picked. FC averages of 45+

Does Khawaja come under any selection pressure if he fails in the second dig?

You are kidding right?

He's our best bat. Got a good one in the first innings first test, even today was set up with good bowling. 2nd innings last test was bad but every player has had one of those

You have to age into account. Marsh is 10 years older than Head. Khawaja and Finch about 8 years. Of course they will have more hundreds.
Without a doubt that's true. But the point the other poster was making (which I agree with) is that for a Test top 6, that's pretty miserable reading regardless of age.

Unless Handscomb pulls something out of his arse in the 2nd he should be gone for good.

And who exactly are you bringing in...

Please don’t say Mitch Marsh!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are kidding right?

He's our best bat. Got a good one in the first innings first test, even today was set up with good bowling. 2nd innings last test was bad but every player has had one of those
Not saying he should get dropped but surely if he makes under 10 in the second innings, there would have to be some selection pressure as we cant just allow him a golden ticket. Again I'm not saying we should drop him but the pressure has to come at some point.

Not saying he should get dropped but surely if he makes under 10 in the second innings, there would have to be some selection pressure as we cant just allow him a golden ticket. Again I'm not saying we should drop him but the pressure has to come at some point.

Not really. Was our best basin the UAE, and we don't have anyone else that is better. I actually think he's playing half fit anyway due to his knee.

Handscomb might be s**t, but isn’t anyone sick of selectors potting blokes after 2 tests post recall? Shows they’ve got no idea and are just looking for a quick fix

They should go unchanged all summer. Everyone gets a fair shot at it and decide from there.

Wade is the only player bashing the door down and they won't pick him.

In before Handscomb for Mitch Marsh though...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back