This 'Duty of Care' Thing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Firstly, let me begin by stating that I'm not a 'bring back the biff' kind of guy.

I don't pine for the good old days of king hits behind play and Grand Finals descending into street brawls to decide who is the better team.

But...

The high chance of being hurt whilst playing football is, and always has been one of its most important attributes. Not only as a spectator did your respect for these dudes go through the roof because of what they were putting on the line every time they played, but as a player you walked taller in every day life because the danger you faced whilst walking down the street was child's play compared to the s**t you copped playing footy every week.

When did we get conned into this 'duty of care' nonsense we keep hearing about these days?

The intention of almost every player, was to actually hurt your opponent. To 'make him earn it'. That was the whole point! To run him into the ground, to mentally break him down, to make him get up slowly after a tackle, to put your knees into his ribs in a marking contest, to collect the back of his head when spoiling - all aimed either getting him off the ground, or making him think twice about the next time he went near the ball.

But I totally get that the world has changed (for the better), and much of the s**t that used to happen simply is unacceptable now.

But 'duty of care'? WTF is that??

What does it even mean? And where does it end?

Does it mean avoiding flying for a mark because you might hurt the guy standing in front of you? Does it mean not tackling a bloke because you might fall on him and hurt him? Or does it mean you should tackle him, but just not very hard. Hard enough to stop him, but not hard enough to hurt him?

And what does 'hurt' even mean? I reckon I'd probably cry if Caleb Daniel even looked at me angrily - so does this need to be taken into account when guys are considering their duty of care to me?

When a guy misses a goal, and 10 opposition players attempt to publicly humiliate and denigrate him in front of his friends, family and millions of strangers - do they consider their duty of care to his mental well-being?

When a defender runs out on the ground and immediately tries to bully the forward by intimidating him physically and verbally, should he consider his duty of care to that player?

The AFL needs to shelve vague and senseless terms such as 'duty of care' and simply enforce rules.

Imagine a coach dragging a player off the ground for not going hard at a marking contest, and screaming down the phone at the player as to why he allowed him an uncontested mark - and the player simply explains that he was exercising his duty of care to that player because if he crashed into him he might have hurt him.

I love this game, and I love sport in general, but the AFL is just getting harder and harder to support let alone watch these days.

It's a very confused sport.

Last edited:
I agree that "DOC" is a confusing and unhelpful term to apply to a contact sport.

There are legal and illegal actions. That is it.

Driving a player into the ground with force should be illegal, whether it is a sling tackle or not. I think players are skillful enough to know how to control this.

But this tackle should be perfectly legal...

Its the slippery slope that in shorter time than you may think, will turn the game into a pale imitation of what we once knew.
Overly dramatic? Until the Nic Nat one I would have thought so, not now..

The reason Nic has to change his tackling technique is mainly because he just gives away blatant in the back free's nearly every single time. Its a bad technique..its just cannon into the guys back. Instant free every single time.

I agree that "DOC" is a confusing and unhelpful term to apply to a contact sport.

There are legal and illegal actions. That is it.

Driving a player into the ground with force should be illegal, whether it is a sling tackle or not. I think players are skillful enough to know how to control this.

Nothing more than a perfectly executed tackle. We must not go down this path of "too rough" "too hard" when the head is not impacted. Thats just purile anti Aussie Rules rubbish.

Yep....I am amazed that the AFL instruct players, who are often making instantaneous and instinctive decisions, that they must demonstrate a duty of care, yet there are examples of the AFL not!!

For example, when Dangerfield got suspended last year for a pinning of the arms tackle, he was told he had a duty of care regarding Kruezers wellbeing. However, there have been frequent complaints from players and clubs regarding the rock hard Etihad surface, but nothing has been done by the afl. Where is the AFL's duty of care to Kruezer in that instance, when the surface undoubtedly contributed to the concussion?

The reference to the term "duty of care" by the AFL is going to be very complicated for them if a player or spectator ever sues for being injured.

"Your honor, we didn't mean it in the legal sense...."

Legal people can argue anything, and they do.

DoC aims to reduce or stop harm. Lack of DoC implies negligence. It doesn't fit well in a contact sport. AFL needs to stick to RulesofGame, its enough.

AFL will soon resemble touch footy. Enjoy what we have while you can.

Soon it'll get to the stage where every player has to wear these...

open_space1.jpg

What was a sport is now a job, and a workplace. Rightly or wrongly words relating to OH&S are being used.
Before you know it, a risk assessment will be required to tackle.

It is already required. A split second mental risk assessment. Players are deciding not to go after 50/50 balls and short stepping to time their tackles and adjust their speed going into a tackle.

Should be (and was at the time), but this latest decision leaves it open to an interpretation that Hanneberry "was in a vulnerable position" and Roughy "didn't exercise the appropriate duty of care in the circumstances".

Absolute codswallop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL push the "duty of care" onto the players. If Amon was wearing a helmet would he have been concussed? Highly unlikely.

Hierarchy of control - eliminate the hazard, wear PPE.

Not that i want helmets in the game, but if the AFL are serious about "duty of care" helmets should be compulsory.

The AFL push the "duty of care" onto the players. If Amon was wearing a helmet would he have been concussed? Highly unlikely.

Hierarchy of control - eliminate the hazard, wear PPE.

Not that i want helmets in the game, but if the AFL are serious about "duty of care" helmets should be compulsory.

Helmets dont stop concussions.

Not driving heads in to the ground far more effective.

There is a duty of care, of course but you can't eliminate all risks in a contact sport.

The biggest issue with the whole DOC thing now is around medical reports being king. Make a tackle 99 times and no injury then it is fine, but if one causes a concussion then it is something that needs to be stamped out.

There's a difference between hurting a player and injuring a player, and while most injuries in the game are accidental, some actions are significantly more likely to result in injury than others - particularly those which give reasonably high likelihood of forceable contact to a players head (including with the ground).

I don't see anything wrong with the Roughead tackle and I don't see how tackles like it are put at risk by the NN decision this week. They are like chalk and cheese.

Because in 2014 Fyfe got 2 weeks for an accidental head clash and the football world declared it a travesty. So the AFL changed the rules around accidental head clashes.

Stop listening to Robbo. Really.
Mate, you like his work because it's worked out well for Hawthorn so far this year. That's lazy and lacks objectivity. At least your fellow supporter has a clearer perspective on this.

Mate, you like his work because it's worked out well for Hawthorn so far this year. That's lazy and lacks objectivity. At least your fellow supporter has a clearer perspective on this.

So Fyfe didnt have a head clash which led to him getting 2 weeks?
There wasnt an outrage amongst many supporters and media?
The AFL didnt change the rule around accidental head clashes?

Which of the above are incorrect?

For perspective, 95% of the outrage is from West Coast Eagles fans. Please guess why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back