This hasn't happened in 20 years...

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 3, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Collingwood just secured the minor premiership with a percentage of 127, which is also likely to be the highest percentage on the ladder at the end of the round. The last time the ladder was this even on % was 2003, and, by a small margin, you have to go back even further (1998) to find a lower maximum percentage.

So, does this mean the AFL's equalisation measures are paying off, or does the absence of standout teams this year suggest a drop in the overall standard?

The top teams forward line just ain't there. To be honest only Brisbane in the top 4 have what I'd consider a strong forward line. Along with a pretty even ladder from 14/15 to 5th.

I'm not sure if I'd say that there was a drop in standard, but it's more even for sure

So, does this mean the AFL's equalisation measures are paying off, or does the absence of standout teams this year suggest a drop in the overall standard?
No standout teams probably generates the perception of a lower overall standard.

In the end it is very difficult to define an overall standard with objective criteria. Dominant teams winning (multible) premierships somehow make the competition subjectively look higher standard while bad bottom teams make the competions look low standard (there was a lot of talk about how bad the talent pool was when GC and GWS started). And while we have no really outstanding top team we do have 2 bootom teams who really looked bad at times during the season.

Having said that I personally think equalisation measures are working reasonable and the talent pool is decent as well. Considering history of league and being limited to Australia mostly then it comes to players.

As much as a lot of teams have had patchy seasons, I don't think there has ever been a season where the quality of Adelaide, Freo, Gold Coast and Hawthorn are bottom 6 teams.

Also why, as bad as North and West Coast have been, it is much harder going for the bottom 2 teams this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back