This is getting ridicolous.

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesnt, but really its in the clubs best interests.
Once a player doesnt want to be there, you arent going to get nearly the best out of him.
His value then drops away even more, or you lose him to FA for free...

If he is a sook and plays like s**t for 2 years his value drops further.

Dangerfield didnt sook and pout last year. He stuck to the end and gave 100% and has the respect of every decent fan in the game.

These petulant kids should take a look at someone not that much older but clearly far wiser.

If he is a sook and plays like s**t for 2 years his value drops further.

Dangerfield didnt sook and pout last year. He stuck to the end and gave 100% and has the respect of every decent fan in the game.

These petulant kids should take a look at someone not that much older but clearly far wiser.

Yeah you're right his value drops further.
But is that good for GWS? Nope.
So why would they want to trade him for nothing as a FA in a couple of years, or trade him with less value in one year?

Now country footy and the AFL are the same thing?
People that play country footy for cash aren't using that as their major income and if they are they are only going for the cash because of the other needs above money, such as safety, food/survival.

Plus how many players stay playing for their club when still offered money to play elsewhere. I know I was offered $300 a game at one point in my early 20s and I said no because I didnt want to travel and spend half my weekend in the country. There are hundreds, if not thousands of metro footballers who do the same, and lots of country footballers who refuse to come to the city to play for say SANFL teams.

The poms come out here because of the standard, and the fact that they wouldn't be working English winter regardless.
Part of their job is to come out to Australia if they want to, to play the extra season to stay in form. If they had to choose between playing county or playing in australia they would most often choose county even if there's less in it for them. Name me someone english or australian who has given up their local competition to ONLY take on the other.

an AFL player is totally different. There is only 1 season, 1 league. You cannot compare.
Utter bullshit
1 league? there are plenty of leagues, you mean 1 top league don't you?
Where does it say because x wants to play footy, and he wants to play in the top league, then he must?
If x wants to play footy, he can choose.
If he chooses AFL, then there are rules, same as the code itself.

Yeah you're right his value drops further.
But is that good for GWS? Nope.
So why would they want to trade him for nothing as a FA in a couple of years, or trade him with less value in one year?

Because when he sobers up he will be a footballer who has put an enormous effort in to getting where he is and will want to go further.

Or he is a flog and Freo would be welcome to him.

The AFL needs to back the northern clubs and stop the players breaking contracts.

Because when he sobers up he will be a footballer who has put an enormous effort in to getting where he is and will want to go further.

Or he is a flog and Freo would be welcome to him.

The AFL needs to back the northern clubs and stop the players breaking contracts.

He wants to go further, and your best plan of attack for that is to stay at GWS....
hmmm

GWS should play finals next year. I would love their attacking style to beat Freo's crap style.

Yes but Freo were top this year.
Made a prelim.

GWS are still in nappies.
Even if they make the 8 they're not a contender.

Also dont see how theyre better from last year losing players like Treloar

Yes but Freo were top this year.
Made a prelim.

GWS are still in nappies.
Even if they make the 8 they're not a contender.

Also dont see how theyre better from last year losing players like Treloar

Because they get Mumford back. He is 10 times as important as Treloar.

GWS is overflowing with young midfielders who can play.

Freo drop down a fair way next year. Swans too.

Then our future 1st rounder should be quite an attractive asset for them?

True. But having a HFF kick 40 goals for them in 2016 is probably more important than someone who may be ready to play in 2018.

They are overflowing with kids and just got even more from Collingwood. They need guys with a couple of years in them.

Gws can't trade player without players agreement whilst in contract, correct?

Player can't be traded without clubs agreement whilst in contract, correct?

So whats the problem? Both can ask, both can say no.

If say Melbourne offered gws an excellent trade that was in gws best interest, and player says, thats nice, no thanks,

player wants away, trade not good enough, club says, thats nice, no thanks.

Isn't McCarthey free to go lay bricks in WA ?
He sure is. Despite what some say in this thread he can't quit to play in the bush, or the WAFL, because he wouldn't get a clearance from the AFL, which is the overarching body for all professional leagues. That's what you get for plying your trade as a footballer, bit of a unique situation. I guess it's a bit like a public servant. If you take a voluntary redundancy from say Defence, you can't get a job at the tax office the next day. You have to wait 12 months to work in the APS again because that's the rule of the governing body.
Speaking of bush, if as all these bush lawyers say the AFL's rules won't stand up in court, why have they never been tested? Maybe Cam should just go to court, but I honestly can't see what grounds he would have, unless there was a specific flaw in his contract, or he could show some sort of coercion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bullshit sob story by manager and player trying to get their own way.
Wtf is the world coming to? You signed the contract Cam.. The S in GWS stands for Sydney. Means you have to stay there yeah?

Wasnt talking about the move in this case, but hte value.
His value went down 100 picks with one bad season (yes i know the uncontracted part is a slight variable in there, but it doesnt make up for 100 picks)

Just imagine what a year off or a shocking year would do to McCarthy's value.
Even if he plays s**t next year his value will not drop because he is contracted. That is part of my point.

Fine but it happens, just as Treloar has expressed a desire to play for the Pies, and yes he is out of contract.

A Treloar *
C Hampton
J Townsend *
L Plowman
L Sumner
T Bugg *
A Tomlinson
J Lamb
A Phillips

These players have been put up for trade by GWS or have asked to be traded, only the three with * are out of contact

Not a whisper from anyone
I agree. Employer has no problem putting contracted employees up for trade but crack a sad when employee does the same. Absolute bullsh*t.
I'm a player advocate in this area. They get offered around like products when it suits the club. That's a two way street.

I agree. Employer has no problem putting contracted employees up for trade but crack a sad when employee does the same. Absolute bullsh*t.
I'm a player advocate in this area. They get offered around like products when it suits the club. That's a two way street.
If the player is contracted, they can say no. As can the club. Yep, it's a two way street.

Even if he plays s**t next year his value will not drop because he is contracted. That is part of my point.

Ahhh yes it will.
If he plays crap Freo will not want to pay the same amount for him, whether he's contracted or not.
He still doesnt become a FA next year, or the year after.

Grasp that word for a sec, "Free Agent"
Think about what that actually means.

Yeh I know what it means...but its totally irrelevant to this discussion.
You shouldnt have to wait 7 years to be able to move clubs fool.

Only a moron would think the value of a player doesnt drop if they have a bad season, whether they are a FA, Contracted for 10 years or 1.

Yeh I know what it means...but its totally irrelevant to this discussion.
You shouldnt have to wait 7 years to be able to move clubs fool.

Only a moron would think the value of a player doesnt drop if they have a bad season, whether they are a FA, Contracted for 10 years or 1.
Aaron Black is the perfect example of this. We would have given up a first rounder in a heartbeat for Black 2 years ago, now we won't do a 12 pick downgrade on our second rounder and he will stay at North.

Is it ok for the Saints to rip up Carlisles contract ?

Oh no they must stick to the terms of the contract and pay him in full.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back