Society/Culture This is straight out child abuse ("transgender" child)

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Which of the two sexes give birth?
I don't think its semantics, I think its a very important part of the entire discussion.

There is your biological sex, then there is the societal norms assumed of that sex due to historic biological imperatives. Which is gender as a social construct.
In our society we have very little need for the biological imperatives that have always defined man and woman. Conception, birth, etc not-withstanding.

In work, what is there to differentiate between a man and a woman?

In our society, what is expected of a man that is not expected of a woman?
As we strive towards equality, should there be any difference?

So if our societal norms define a gender, why is someone who abides by those norms not that gender?

We need to treat it the way we treat anything in our society, with the safety of others in mind.
If you have a man who commits sexual assaults, who transitions to a woman who commits sexual assaults, what do you expect to happen if you lock them up in general population with other women?

Sport is a more difficult area. It needs to be regulated and scrutinized more.
Biological advantages do have an impact.

View attachment 720205

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s the fundamental unit of difference. Dictates everything that comes afterwards. It is no small thing.

There is a reason why liberal cultures are slowly self-terminating through demographic suicide - they’ve lost memory of what keeps them going.
Which is why I specifically pointed out that it wasn't part of the consideration as to why I view gender as a social construct.

Demographic suicide. Not a genocide?

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Which is why I specifically pointed out that it wasn't part of the consideration as to why I view gender as a social construct.
It’s not a construct. It directly derives from first principles - in every culture around the world the female is the primary carer. This is a tremendous rate of accuracy for something that is meant to be socially constructed.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s not a construct. It directly derives from first principles - in every culture around the world the female is the primary carer. This is a tremendous rate of accuracy for something that is meant to be socially constructed.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Your viewing it as a social construct is fundamentally wrong. It doesn’t matter what your reasons are. You are wrong.
Men wearing suits, women wearing dresses.
That's a social construct.

What does that have to do with giving birth?

Women must wear a dress in case they have a sudden onset of child birth?

Playing with a toy car or a barbie. That's based on child birth?

Pink clothing?

No.
You are wrong.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Men wearing suits, women wearing dresses.
That's a social construct.

What does that have to do with giving birth?

Women must wear a dress in case they have a case of sudden child birth?

Playing with a toy car or a barbie. That's based on child birth?

Pink clothing?

No.
You are wrong.
This is obscurantist rhetoric. Do men and women dress differently the world over? Why do men and women dress differently?

What you are doing is misunderstanding the local for the universal. Some cultures eat pork, others don’t, and some don’t eat beef. Does this mean eating is a social construct?

No, all people need to eat and all people distinguish between men and women. Neither are social constructs, they are universal concepts. If something exists universally, then there is a pretty good chance it is an iron law of nature.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is obscurantist rhetoric. Do men and women dress differently the world over? Why do men and women dress differently?

What you are doing is misunderstanding the local for the universal. Some cultures eat pork, others don’t, and some don’t eat beef. Does this mean eating is a social construct?

No, all people need to eat and all people distinguish between men and women. Neither are social constructs, they are universal concepts. If something exists universally, then there is a pretty good chance it is an iron law of nature.
Don't be ridiculous.

Respond to the actual points, or jog on. I'm not interested in your debate techniques.

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
The differences between men and women go well beyond clothing. What a trivial argument.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Name a culture 100 years ago that didn't shun and attack homosexuals.
Immaterial.

As I said. Respond to the points or jog on. You know what you're doing and why you're avoiding.
I know what I’m doing because I understand what I am talking about. You don’t.

You can immediately spot a non-thinker when they use the term “social construct”.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
You just used the term.

Respond to the actual points... or jog on.

You know why you need to keep flicking from concept to concept.
I’m not using the term as a justification for erroneous beliefs.

What are your “actual points”? It’s simply mealy mouthed received wisdom from a clear non thinker.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’m not using the term as a justification for erroneous beliefs.

What are your “actual points”? It’s simply mealy mouthed received wisdom from a clear non thinker.
I don't think its semantics, I think its a very important part of the entire discussion.

There is your biological sex, then there is the societal norms assumed of that sex due to historic biological imperatives. Which is gender as a social construct.
In our society we have very little need for the biological imperatives that have always defined man and woman. Conception, birth, etc not-withstanding.

In work, what is there to differentiate between a man and a woman?

In our society, what is expected of a man that is not expected of a woman?
As we strive towards equality, should there be any difference?

So if our societal norms define a gender, why is someone who abides by those norms not that gender?

We need to treat it the way we treat anything in our society, with the safety of others in mind.
If you have a man who commits sexual assaults, who transitions to a woman who commits sexual assaults, what do you expect to happen if you lock them up in general population with other women?

Sport is a more difficult area. It needs to be regulated and scrutinized more.
Biological advantages do have an impact.

View attachment 720205

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
I mean... I feel like I've clarified it by reposting my original post several times.
I haven't read it so obviously I've misunderstood you. I thought you were arguing gender is a social construct.

By the way bill came around earlier and your avatar is doing me head in.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Which of the two sexes give birth?
It’s the fundamental unit of difference. Dictates everything that comes afterwards. It is no small thing.

There is a reason why liberal cultures are slowly self-terminating through demographic suicide - they’ve lost memory of what keeps them going.
Your viewing it as a social construct is fundamentally wrong. It doesn’t matter what your reasons are. You are wrong.

Name a culture where men and women display themselves and behave exactly the same. Just one will do.
Immaterial.

I know what I’m doing because I understand what I am talking about. You don’t.

You can immediately spot a non-thinker when they use the term “social construct”.

There are no points here, just the meandering of someone who can’t articulate an argument.

Back