This New Runner/ Water Carrier Rule is F**ked!

Remove this Banner Ad

So what happens when it’s a +30c day and the scores at the 20 min mark of the 1st qtr is
Team A 0.4 vs Team B 0.2 ?
No goals scored so No Runner or Players to get water!

Geez it's a wonder how this sport ever survived its first hundred years. Surely everybody who tried to play it died of dehydration without nurses - sorry I mean runners - keeping them alive.

Nigel Lappin and John Barnes come to mind too, as far as ex-players go.

Yep, all clubs have done it. Rule is gone, will help the game so much. I don't go to the footy to watch trainers direct players.

So what happens when it’s a +30c day and the scores at the 20 min mark of the 1st qtr is
Team A 0.4 vs Team B 0.2 ?
No goals scored so No Runner or Players to get water!
View attachment 636891

Lol the human body can survive 4 days without water. If some idiot player wants to wait 3 days and 22 hours before having a drink that's his problem

I have no doubt it's going to be frustrating for the coaches but the ground was a mess with the amount of non-players out on the field at any given time. This is even before factoring in that many runners were clearly getting in the opposition line of sight, occupying space where they shouldn't be and/or staying on the field for well over their allowed time.

The coaches pushed the runners and water carriers to the limit, have been pinged and only have themselves to blame now.

It won't be the last time we see a situation like tonight where a team has multiple players trying to get on the field but none of the on-field players were coming off. It's up to the coaches to drill their players better. Say it's the fourth quarter, there is 25 minutes on the board, there's less than a kick in the game and you're a borderline best 22 player who's due to come off to bring on one of your team's big guns... Well that's a pretty risky career move to pretend you didn't realise it was your rotation.

FWIW I wouldn't be opposed to a heat rule in regards to water carriers being allowed on the field during play when it hits 30 degrees, but there would still need to be some fairly stringent limitations, i.e. only at one end of the field when play is at the other or something like that. If a player needs a dehydrating, they can come to the bench and have a rotation. A coach would rather give someone a 6-7 minute spell and get him back up somewhere close to 95 to 100% than have him plodding along at 80% from fatigue - of course, there is the issue where players don't want to show any sign of weakness.

Last edited:
During the season opener, I think as Carlton were kicking the last goal, a guy in a reddish vest (doctor?) ran on and had words to Houli, who then immediately went off through the interchange.

I don’t know why a doctor would need to do that to a player who isn’t obviously injured during the game.

Edit: Didn’t realise it was captured on the coverage. Definitely a Doctor. Are they monitoring heart rates from the bench?

1d3637f18d544fcc369437b8038aee4c.jpg

Last edited:
Was so good to see open forward lines and space all over the field not clogged up with runners, trainers, water people

The minority ruining it for the majority.

Removing runners completely is taking a sledgehammer to a loose nail.

Im glad that general society doesnt bay to the loudest minorities as much as the afl does.
Surely players can function independently of runners?

They're a luxury and absolutely shouldn't been needed at all in the slightest. Our game should have been at a level where if you remove them then no one notices them gone. That it's been noticed so heavily is indicative of the importance then never should have attained or have coaches rely on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The coaches created this mess so they have no one else to blame but themselves. For too long They had too much power and now that something didn’t go their way, they are jumping up and down like a six-year-old chucking a tantrum.
Absolutely.

The AFL have possibly gone too far in only after goals, but that is mainly the fault of the coaches who were abusing the old rules.
Some coaches used to have a runner out there for 10 minutes at a stretch. The runner would come on, stay on the field, be pointing at a player and then pointing where to go, shouting instructions and getting in the way. That is on field coaching and had to be stopped. All coaches did this, but some were (much) worse than others. Sydney was particularly bad with this.

This is one rule change I really like. It's forcing alternative communication, and stops the nonsense of on field coaching that we all could clearly see.

It's interesting to see how different coaches are adjusting. Chris Fagan seems to be on the bench all game now, though I'd guess his assistants are up in the box. But this is of great benefit to get his message direct to the players now instead of relying on the runner during the game. I think it's also got an interesting side effect of the players on the bench seeing how he reacts to different incidents during play. Must really be drumming home the game plan to hear what he's saying while you wait to go back on again.

This is one rule change I really like. It's forcing alternative communication, and stops the nonsense of on field coaching that we all could clearly see.
The on field coaching absolutely gave me the s***s. Having a runner on the field of play for 5-10 minutes at a stretch, directing players was an abuse of the rules.

I would like to see a little loosening up. Get on when the goal is kicked, deliver messages and as long as you are out of the centre square and heading off at bounce time it's ok.

I'd have no issue if "water-people" are stationed around the ground - there's enough contests around the boundary, throw-ins, etc where players can steal a quick drink. Not team provided - provided by the ground (unbiased) just to provide water.

You could easily have 8-10 around the ground on the boundary, more behind the goals - they cannot enter the field of play, but players can grab a drink anytime they want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back