This New Runner/ Water Carrier Rule is F**ked!

Remove this Banner Ad

This might be a stupid question but I haven't paid much attention during the pre-season. What's the rule with players getting injured and trainers being allowed on the ground. Does there have to a certain severity of injury before a trainer can come onto the ground to attend a player? Like if a player has a mild cramp can someone come on to the field to attend them or do they have to sort themselves out?

perhaps AFL players will have to harden up like soccer players

I know your takin the piss but everytime a player fakes an injury they either walk over to the sideline an drink or they pull water bottles out of the trainers bag an drink.

Remember Nick Maxwell living out his Collingwood days for GWS by just standing there and occupying space.
Surprised no club hasn't employed Goddard to do this. It is basically what he was doing for the past 3 years. Standing in the backline pointing where others should go.

Mmmmm, climate change will stuff this rule up, we'll eventually be playing 10 minute quarters on dust bowls in 50 Celsius 80 percent humidity conditions.

Some fans on their way to a Thunderdome matchup between Collingwood and the Bombers.

09641ebda37df0f06eabbb87d9d2b2b5.jpg

The coaches created this mess so they have no one else to blame but themselves. For too long They had too much power and now that something didn’t go their way, they are jumping up and down like a six-year-old chucking a tantrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The arrogance from the likes if Beveridge & Clarkson acting like this rule may not be implemented for the H&A season when Hocking has been emphatic on it just underlines how entitled they have become.

Bingo.

It was very annoying, and compounded by the fact that runners are as dumb as anything and getting in the way. Get them off the field, they can come on after goals
Remember Nick Maxwell living out his Collingwood days for GWS by just standing there and occupying space.
You know there was rule that awarded a team a free kick if the runner was in the path of the ball or was in the way of an opposing player, really don't know why teams didn't use this as way of advancing up the ground. Also this rule needed a clued on umpire to award the free kick, do this enough times and the runners would be off quick smart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a long term overdue rule and as a result of being long overdue it’s possibly overdone but they’ll get over it.

I doubt anybody dies of thirst on the playing field because they don’t have the energy to run 20 metres to the nearest boundary line to grab a swig.

They just want runners to be able to direct play

Beveridge: “Even the support, I spoke to one of the senior coaches, I won’t mention his name, the young bloke’s playing his second JLT game, stubbed his toe and got a direct turnover.

“He just wanted to get a runner out there to say ‘listen mate don’t worry about it, put it out of your mind, you’re going well.’”

http://aflnation.com.au/2019/03/19/beveridge-alarm-bells-are-ringing-on-afl-runner-restrictions/

How on earth will footy survive this travesty? That poor young bloke has probably been delisted and is working at Bunnings by now. All because no runners

You didn't just say harden up and "soccer players"

They fall over like they have been shot every time someone grazes them! Do we need to look at the diving?

I agree that players shouldn't need runners though.
One of the reasons why diving happens so often in soccer is because the players want a break. legit. It is why you see it a lot more on hot days. It is a stop of play and everyone goes towards the coach to get more info and a drink.

It isn't the only reason. Also slows momentum, wastes time and trying to win a free kick. very frustrating but there are reasons.

I like it. I am sure coaches will find a way to get information out. Perhaps they will use the old fashioned way of telling players entering the arena to send out messages at the same time.

Some teams were using the runner as a 19th man on the field - the coaches grumbling can go and get nicked!

^^This. The AFL might often make s**t decisions regarding the rules, but this one is entirely on the coaches. The idiots even got a stay of execution on this last year, yet didn't bother to try and change the tactic.

seems overkill
I know runners have got in the way before and I agree they should be off.
but water carriers - I don't recall a problem with them on the field.

Pretty sure water carriers already had pretty significant restrictions, this rule just brings those back a bit in line with the runner rule.

One of the reasons why diving happens so often in soccer is because the players want a break. legit. It is why you see it a lot more on hot days. It is a stop of play and everyone goes towards the coach to get more info and a drink.

It isn't the only reason. Also slows momentum, wastes time and trying to win a free kick. very frustrating but there are reasons.

I like it. I am sure coaches will find a way to get information out. Perhaps they will use the old fashioned way of telling players entering the arena to send out messages at the same time.

Well could be or the fact that soccer players are as soft as anything and worried about hurting their pinky finger.

I was over runners, praise the you know what they are in the past

^^This. The AFL might often make s**t decisions regarding the rules, but this one is entirely on the coaches. The idiots even got a stay of execution on this last year, yet didn't bother to try and change the tactic.

Pretty sure water carriers already had pretty significant restrictions, this rule just brings those back a bit in line with the runner rule.
Pretty much, the coaches knew the AFL didn’t like the runners being out there so often, and refused to change their operation of it. They obviously thought the AFL wouldn’t use the nuclear option and got their bluff called.

I think it’ll come back to a more reasonable level in the next year or two but the coaches are aware now that the AFL is serious about playing field congestion.

Pretty much, the coaches knew the AFL didn’t like the runners being out there so often, and refused to change their operation of it. They obviously thought the AFL wouldn’t use the nuclear option and got their bluff called.

I think it’ll come back to a more reasonable level in the next year or two but the coaches are aware now that the AFL is serious about playing field congestion.

I think the coaches might have been willing, but weren't going to go with unilateral disarmament....while the opposition team used it, they weren't going to give them an advantage, so they still used it, and because you had to have consistency between/during games, that meant they'd all always use it.

I don't want to see a free kick because the runner is too slow to leave the ground after a goal, I'm happy for some leeway there as long as the runner is heading off. 45 seconds could be 60+ or a warning.

Otherwise yep get rid of them, there's enough rotations now to sort it out.

Plenty of water on the bench or just wait for a goal.

Midfielders weren't exactly stopping for a drink whilst the ball was in play anyway nor are the days of the full forward having a drink whilst the ball leisurely sails to the other end of the ground a thing anymore.

As a curiosity/aside...

Umpires fairly frequently stop team drinks carriers for a drink.

Might we see the extra time that takes lead to a drinks carrier staying on too long? Alternatively, might we see drinks carriers refusing to give umpires a drink because they're on the clock?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back