Opinion This Season Just Became More Interesting

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong have been constantly in preliminary finals. We have been gutter trash since the 2020 GF. Move on. Time to rebuild.
Lack of success (as in a flag) can do that.

re builds are rarely pleasant and generally fail many times before things turn around, not a path I would like us to take, we had 9 players with under 20 games playing on Friday, it takes time to transition from our old to our new lets just stick with doing that.

Are we still having fun ? Cotch didn’t look happy . Wondering if we have lost our way a-bit philosophy wise. Richmond man / why we play football etc
Just my opinion, but that stuff has a lifespan before it fizzles out.

‘Interesting’ is a good choice of word.. hope it doesnt mean bottoming out in a season when we dont have a r1. Thats going to sting.
Actually it is intersting, we've supposedly got a promising young group of players that have been stockpiled over the last few years but for various reasons haven't had much of a chance to show their true worth. So with injuries happening we're going to get a good look at some of them. At the moment Ryan and Miller are going to be getting a good run, Sonsie Cumberland Clarke Hugo Mansell & Young are also getting games.

Bottoming out, doesn't necessarily mean finishing towards the bottom of the ladder. It could very well mean that the era that we've all enjoyed ends similarly to the way it began back at in 2016 when we took a couple of steps back to go 3 steps forward. Back then we were trying to bring in a new wave of Tigers to replace some aging veterans who had taken us as far as they could with the likes of Hampson Maric Chaplin Deledio Batchelor Morris & Vickery all in their last year or 2 on the list. In their place we were bringing through the likes of future premiership players in Townsend Lambert Short Broad D.Rioli & Castagna as well as kids like McBean Moore McIntosh Menadue C.Ellis Lennon & Markov who unfortunately never quite made it.

This year we've been hit with injuries, we've got an aging group of veterans who took us to the promised land but are now near the end, we're trying to implement a new style of play and bring on a new batch of players that will hopefully be part of the next era of success. If by the end of round 23 we miss the finals, but we've unearthed a few young kids that help fill the void left by the aging heroes and the game plan starts to look more cohesive I'd argue that the season has been as successful as it would be if we didn't have injuries and weren't bringing in new talent and stuck with the same old game plan and scraped into the 8, because at least by going down the path we currently are we're actually going to truly find out just where we are and what needs to be addressed to get back to the top.

As for not having a R1 pick, Taranto and Hopper are here for the next 7 years and the odds suggest we'll get more out of them than we would by recruiting possibly the next Corey Ellis or Ben Lennon with a low to mid teens pick that we'd probably have ended up with if the season went well.
The elephant in the room is that other players can't step up / we have recruitment holes and playing Cotchin, Riewoldt, etc, doesn't actually do us any harm.
Actually it does do us harm, because there are young kids that we need to find out about while we still have some established older stars around that they can learn off. Had the injuries to Lynch and Nankervis not happened odds are we'd be playing Ryan as a 3rd string forward who does 5% game time in the ruck when Nankervis has a rest for a few weeks before he got sent back to the VFL and then we'd revert back to Miller or Biggie, while Lynch played first choice KPF and Jack played 2nd fiddle. Now we're going to get an extended look at both of them against some of the best ruck/KPD players in the comp and we'll learn a hell a lot more about them than we would with them playing bit roles.

As for Cotchin, nobody is going to deny him his place in Richmond folklore, but the cold hard truth is that unless the game is played in a tight tussle like Round 1 & 2 were, his impact on the game is limited especially in free flowing games where the opposition run and spread as hard as side like the Dogs Swans & Pies do. That is why he was played as the sub against the Dogs(hoping we could bring him in late when the sting had gone out of the game) and why he was subbed out against Sydney(as the young Swans midfielders constantly exposed him away from the contest). The years of wear & tear have taken their toll on him and that's ok, he led us to the top of the mountain 3 times and can still be valuable in 2023, as it stands Cotchin is currently 5th in line for usage at centre bounces this year that is unsustainable IMO if we want to improve long term. We need to see the likes of Baker Graham Ross & Sonsie stepping into the midfield and staking a claim moving forward and they can't step up and do that if they're not being given the opportunity to do so.

Just like sex. I'm in my effing 60's and it's no longer what I'm waking up and hoping for each frigging shitty morning.

On SM-J250F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Your lucky I can't sleep as i sit up thinking how good it was and where has it gone abit like our team lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back