Preview Today!!! Rd 1v Freo at Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So a mate asked me for my round 1 team and off the top of my head I came up with a 22 so I guess this is my final team pre-selection:

B: Williams Tarrant Ed-VW
HB: Pittard McKay McMillian
C: Polec Cunnington Dumont
HF: Hall Wood Atley
F: Ziebell Brown Simpkin
FOLL: Goldy Ahern Higgins
I/C: LDU LMac Scott Tyson

Tyson out for Turner is the more attacking option although I think Tyson might be in line for a tag on Fyfe.

These sorts of articles on opposition players always result in the said opposition player getting 40 touches and kicking 3 goals.

Ever since the infamous Ablett article where we said we had a plan for him. We then went on to not lay a finger on him all game.
Surly he is just answering a question about Fyfe? Not much else he can say.

What? You can’t be a superstar by winning games off your own back against 1 team. There wouldn’t be a team Fyfe has not torn apart - same for Danger and Dusty and Buddy. It’s why they are the best - they consistently tear teams apart.

Freo have won 13 of the last 41 games when Fyfe played, since his Brownlow year (Carlton x 2, Gold Coast x 2, Bulldogs x 2, Scum x 2).

He roved to Sandilands in 11 of those 13 wins and Sandilands had 40 or more hit outs in 9 of those 11 matches..

Last edited:
So a mate asked me for my round 1 team and off the top of my head I came up with a 22 so I guess this is my final team pre-selection:

B: Williams Tarrant Ed-VW
HB: Pittard McKay McMillian
C: Polec Cunnington Dumont
HF: Hall Wood Atley
F: Ziebell Brown Simpkin
FOLL: Goldy Ahern Higgins
I/C: LDU LMac Scott Tyson

Tyson out for Turner is the more attacking option although I think Tyson might be in line for a tag on Fyfe.
Has Tyson done any tagging with the Dees?

Dumont has done well in a few run-with roles. Might spend some time on Fyfe. Would have EVW on him when he pushes forward.

Basically agree with that team. 22nd spot would be between Turner, Simpkin, Scott, LDU and Tyson and I see Turner as the most certain of those 5 to be picked. Hope the whispers around Marley's fitness are no more than that but his absence would see Ats push back and Turner into the forward line of that side.

I'll see how close I get:

Williams, McKay, Vickers-Willis
Ballantyne, Lobb, Walters

McDonald, Tarrant, MacMillan
Colyer, McCarthy, Banfield

Polec, Tyson, Hall
Langdon, Fyfe, B.Hill

Atley, Wood, Ahern
Wilson, Ryan, Cerra

Turner, Brown, Ziebell
Hughes, Pearce, Hamling

Goldstein, Cunnington, Higgins
Darcy, Conca, Brayshaw

Davies-Uniake, Scott, Dumont, Pittard
Giro, Mundy, Tucker, Duman

Who plays second ruck in that side?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo have won 13 of the last 41 games when Fyfe played, since his Brownlow year (Carlton x 2, Gold Coast x 2, Bulldogs x 2, Scum x 2).

He roved to Sandilands in 11 of those 13 wins and Sandilands had 40 or more hit outs in 9 of those 11 matches..

2 years ago in WA he won the game for them in the last 2 minutes cos he beat LMac one on one in two or three crucial contests. That year LMac went on to be fifth in the Syd, and did seem to learn from that game. I'd almost be tempted to remind Luke about that and put the challenge to him to make up for it.

He had 31 (24 contested), 8 clearances, 7 tackles, 7 free kicks in 92% TOG last year against us and we still beat them by 5 goals.

This year he is coming off no competitive pre-season and doesn't have Sandilands & Neale next to him.

Those are some good stats while being tagged by the best.

Fyfe and Walters are the key really.
They’re the two along with Sandilands who have given us grief over the years.
We however have more threats in Brown, Ziebell, Hall, Higgins, Goldstein and Cunnington.

Sandilands, Nhyus and Kersten are all expected to miss so the narrative is simple.
Win the ball in the middle and we win the game

Those are some good stats while being tagged by the best.

.....whilst roving to the best!

We'll need to set up with one midfielder sitting off Fyfe and Goldstein targeting the other two mids at the centre clearances. Basically, we should target clearance areas away from where Fyfe is positioned. I'm not concerned about stoppages as we can close him down there.

Crocker made mention of the importance of Goldstein in this match:

One way to minimise the impact of the 2015 Brownlow Medallist is for ruckman Todd Goldstein to give first use to the North on-ballers.

Rested in JLT2 to ensure he’d be fit and firing for this weekend, the 2016 All-Australian will play a crucial role for the Roos.

“He’s really important, he’s going to play an enormous role,” Crocker said.

“We know how important Goldy is to us already, because he can play such huge gametime, which allows us to keep the likes of Ben Brown forward, or one of our key backs in defence.

“Hopefully he can give us first use because that will play a really important part in the outcome of the match.”

2 years ago in WA he won the game for them in the last 2 minutes cos he beat LMac one on one in two or three crucial contests. That year LMac went on to be fifth in the Syd, and did seem to learn from that game. I'd almost be tempted to remind Luke about that and put the challenge to him to make up for it.

Two years ago we were a much weaker side, Sandilands had 55 hit outs and were beaten in time on (30:41) by 5 points. Cunnington was BOG (29 disposals, 10 clearances & 3 Brownlow votes)

In the return (Nyhuis) match, Sandilands didn't play, Goldstein missed a set shot to win us the match that he would have nailed 95% of the time, was in the worst form of his career, and was soon dropped to the VFL:

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2017/16/nmfc-v-fre

Nyhuis torched debutante Dan Neilsen (4 goals), Wagner, Hibberd & Mountford all played, and Fyfe played a blinder ably assisted by Blakely (32) and Neale (27), who will both be absent on Sunday.

Last edited:
Matt Taberner is considered a chance to recover from a calf strain in time for round one, but needs to prove his fitness before Friday’s selection deadline.
The key forward was limited to running and some light skill work during Wednesday’s session.
“Taberner is coming in with a late run,” Lyon said.
“He’s hitting his KPIs ... and that would be really exciting if he could get up.”
When did Taberner become important. I couldn't give a s**t if he plays or not.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back