Preview Today!!! Rd 1v Freo at Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.
GC and WB last year... The latter made me the angriest I ever got.

I mean, you can't win every game. However, the way we came out in some games was like we couldn't give a *, no pressure whatsoever, half-arsed turnstile tackling, one opposition pushing past 3 or 4 of our players. The way you go down means a lot, North supporters not knowing if and when the guys have a crack defensively must do the promotion's department heads in, it is what creates so much apathy, how excited can you get from a win when you know they might not even try the following week.

Yeah, the conditions were s**t against GC but when it stopped raining and the ground dried out somewhat, we were obliterated in the middle, the crap conditions did us more favours because it limited their ability to attack.

We don't really do anything to promote consistency, we shouldn't need to throw the book at players who roll over, just start dropping key players who played the worst, it will send a clear signal. Sure, we want to do everything humanly possible to win every game but at some point, if you don't take one step backwards to establish high minimum standards you are never going to take two steps forward. Lt couldn't kick a goal from the goal square and Scott played him for 3/4 of a season. Goldy couldn't buy a hitout and he played him the entire season and left Preuss sitting in the VFL who was crushing it.

There is too much of a boys club. It is important to have good relationships but that has to be on a platform of excellence. I'd rather Scott be liked less by the players and us being a better team. How many career players for us are going to look back with no success during their careers, no premiership reunions to attend. We need to strive for a much better standard of consistency. Sure, you might get killed by better quality players but it doesn't matter how much you are being murdered by a more talented player, the better someone plays on you, the more aggressive and relentless your pressure on them has to be. If you get killed but still laid 6+ tackles and had a whole bunch of 1%ers and pressure acts then nobody can question your commitment. When we don't see that defensive application we can and we should question the commitment. So should the coaches. We can't accept 19yo sub 25 game standards from 25+yo 100+ game players. If we can't have higher expectations than that then we are never going to be consistent enough to go further than we do.

We need to define clear benchmarks for what isn't acceptable and if any players fall below that threshold then the player must be aware that they will be dropped and be forced to earn their spot back in the side through the VFL. If you put the jumper on, you have to go out like it is your last game and you want to look back at your last game and not have any regrets that you didn't put in 100%. If these easy to coach players can't do it consistently without being penalised, the coach needs to step in. There will be some mediocre teams that will pull s**t out of their arse and play the best game they have in a long time and we will get on the wrong end of some of those games and will get rolled now and then, but when that happens I expect us to put up a fight, not just roll over.

Alumni41

Debutant
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Matchups in bold.

- Walters will play up the ground as Freo cannot afford the luxury of leaving him in the FP. (Williams)
- Ballantyne should have been retired two years ago. (Frank Gumbleton......at 67 years of age)
- Lobb was putrid yesterday and has kicked one bag of 3 in his last 40 matches. He will be required a lot of the time on Goldstein, or Darcy will have a myocardial infarction before half time. (Tarrant/McKay)
- McCarthy is only getting a game by default. (MacMillan)
- Bailey Banfield has kicked 5.5 in 20 matches of football. (McDonald will slaughter him)
- Hogan is a class forward. (Vickers - Willis)

If this mob can kick 15 goals against us, we need rooting with a pineapple.

HAHAHAHAAHAH simple as that ya reckon

And we will just put giro on cunnington and tucker on higgins and our midfield will be fine. See I can throw random match ups and act like our players will nullify much better players too.

Something has to be amiss with Freo’s JLT games, seeing Ross (a defensive coach by nature) allowing over 200 pts against over the two games.

What were they doing differently? Circle work for 100 minutes?

It doesn’t add up. I’m left to presume he was in full on experimental mode as those results are completely foreign to his style of footy.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Something has to be amiss with Freo’s JLT games, seeing Ross (a defensive coach by nature) allowing over 200 pts against over the two games.

It doesn’t add up. I’m left to presume he was in full on experimental mode as those results are completely foreign to his style of footy.
This was posted in the GD thread:

1604ba2763f3d281bcf4803ebd7da0c0.gif

Mundy and Walters at the bottom of the screen not with an opponent, spectating without a care in the world, which led to a WC goal.

A full house in round 1 is what’s counting against us
Walters and Fyfe fire and were done for

I think we need to get back to basics to some degree here - we have played two soft practice games and now it’s time to show some good old fashioned desperation and will to compete. North is renowned for this if nothing else.

I think if we go over there with the mindset that “no matter who plays we will win this game”, we will not lose this.

Only a soft lifeless performance will give Freo the chance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Or they are simply s**t

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
How many round 1 games have we won under Scotts? One? :stern look
GC and WB last year... The latter made me the angriest I ever got.

Every game is important though...the second Swans game and our total lack of ability to read the final minutes and slow the game down...now that was an angry drive home

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Every game is important though...the second Swans game and our total lack of ability to read the final minutes and slow the game down...now that was an angry drive home
I can't wait for my first melt this year...Could be as early as round 1....will ask Mrs Kaboom to lock up all the Ming vases just in case.....

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
HAHAHAHAAHAH simple as that ya reckon

And we will just put giro on cunnington and tucker on higgins and our midfield will be fine. See I can throw random match ups and act like our players will nullify much better players too.
Nah Cunnington to soften up Fyfe's elbow.

They've had some big scores kicked against them in the last couple of seasons in the season proper.

They've had some big scores kicked against them in the last couple of seasons in the season proper.

I suspect the 6-6-6 thing has Lyon stumped for now but doubt it’ll be long before he works out a way to clog things up and utilise the rebound offence from the congestion.

That 2nd quarter against Port where the attackive mids in Ahern, Hall, LDU etc just cut loose mother goose, yeah, I'm not too concerned about our ability to score in this one.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Up until half time i would agree.

Tarrant likely or unlikely?

I'm sitting on the fence, but I have been told unlikely.

If Cox & Taberner don't play (both injured) then mightn't bother taking him anyway. B-Mac can handle the Lobb/Darcy rotations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back