Opinion This year’s Geelong team is different…

Remove this Banner Ad

The lid stays on until Tom Atkins makes his Norm Smith acceptance speech.

The concept of the lid, although tongue in cheek, is stupid.

Geelong are one of the favourites, anything disastrous or amazing could happen from here - people have to deal with it.

Being the best performed team this late in the season doesn't guarantee anything, especially when "home" finals aren't at home. However you're fooling yourself if you think Geelong aren't as good a chance as any in the past decade.

The concept of the lid, although tongue in cheek, is stupid.

Geelong are one of the favourites, anything disastrous or amazing could happen from here - people have to deal with it.

Being the best performed team this late in the season doesn't guarantee anything, especially when "home" finals aren't at home. However you're fooling yourself if you think Geelong aren't as good a chance as any in the past decade.

We absolutely are a massive chance, the biggest chance we've been since 2011 and by some way. We look outstanding, resilient, and the competition is the weakest it's been in a while.

..... However, and I posted something similar to this on the main board. Better sides than this one have lost Grand Finals. Better Geelong sides than this one haven't even made Grand Finals.

The point is folks are rightly still wary of our chances. We're the rightful favourite, but anything can happen from here. That's where the 'lid' concept comes from. It's not disrespecting what the side has done, it's just acknowledging that finals are a different beast and anything can happen.

We absolutely are a massive chance, the biggest chance we've been since 2011 and by some way. We look outstanding, resilient, and the competition is the weakest it's been in a while.

..... However, and I posted something similar to this on the main board. Better sides than this one have lost Grand Finals. Better Geelong sides than this one haven't even made Grand Finals.

The point is folks are rightly still wary of our chances. We're the rightful favourite, but anything can happen from here. That's where the 'lid' concept comes from. It's not disrespecting what the side has done, it's just acknowledging that finals are a different beast and anything can happen.
We are a very good chance, better that 2013 I’m not so sure. Absolute wasted year that one

2013 and 2019 were the biggest wastes I have seen and I have followed this club since I was born in the 80s.
Not even close. No matter how many more eons of footy that are played, 2008 will always be the most monumental waste of any season by any team in the history of the game.

Not even close. No matter how many more eons of footy that are played, 2008 will always be the most monumental waste of any season by any team in the history of the game.
What happened in 2008? I don't remember anything after the PF I assume we won the GF the following week and Cam Mooney was leading goal scorer.

That said when I talk about wastes of seasons, I mean where we should have made the GF and didn't. 2008 is a waste of a different kind, like 2020.

But my comment I meant where we were a team that was top 2 in the league, should have played in the GF where anything could happen, and we found a way to completely screw the pooch.

2008 Geelong team was best i've seen in my life. Mid 20's Ablett, SJ, Bartell, Ling, Enright...

Finished with a percentage of 161%, (second highest in history).

Beat Hawthorn everywhere during the GF but we didn't kick straight, and they couldn't miss.

At no point in the OP did I indicate we would win this year’s flag. I do, however, stand by my assertion that GFC 2022 is “different” in a substantive and positive way to iterations of the past few years. I also tried to dig down in to why and how that may be, structurally and organisationally.
Every team, every year, had to find significant improvement just to not fall behind. I believe we’ve done that by a combination of:
Recruitment: Stengle
Improvement/Availability: Cameron, SDK, Atkins, Close
Game Plan: Faster ball movement, increased unpredictability
Confidence: There appears to be a significant trust and belief in each other and the system.

All in all, cause for cautious optimism in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2008 Geelong team was best i've seen in my life. Mid 20's Ablett, SJ, Bartell, Ling, Enright...

Finished with a percentage of 161%, (second highest in history).

Beat Hawthorn everywhere during the GF but we didn't kick straight, and they couldn't miss.
For any NFL fans out there it was the equivalent of the '07 Patriots. Didn't lose a game all year and lost to a mediocre-at-best Giants team.

One thing i would REALLY love to see this year, is Scott to say how we look forward to playing at the G and how we have played our best footy their this year (even if not true), not mention home finals or anything.
We have a reduced capacity, home finals are not an option at all, so don't give it any fuel or even give anyone a chance to create that negative mindset from it.. Embrace the G, all positive stuff and own the moment.

I feel we have allowed the media to create that sulky narrative, rightly or wrongly previously... we embraced it big time in 2020 and we made the GF
So people may think it makes no difference, but those 1%ers can all add up

Last edited:
Something has definitely changed since the loss to St Kilda in round 9. Much like there was a clear change after the round 5 2007 loss to North.

Obviously we haven't been as dominant as we were in 2007 but the ruthless edge in our side is clear for all to see. This ruthless edge was missing in the side up until that loss to St Kilda.

Lid off? Not yet, but it's definitely bubbling and not far from popping off. It's hard to see us losing another game for the rest of the year. Three of four games at Kardinia Park we ain't dropping any of those. Gold Coast are bog average and this side isn't losing any finals, especially with the pain from 2020 burning in their guts.

Lid off? Not yet, but it's definitely bubbling and not far from popping off.
I can’t help but draw some comparisons between this season and 2020.

Playing our skin off in the last part of the year with only one obvious other main contender (reigning premiers) who we thought we could beat in finals.

Early days yet IMO

Something has definitely changed since the loss to St Kilda in round 9. Much like there was a clear change after the round 5 2007 loss to North.

Obviously we haven't been as dominant as we were in 2007 but the ruthless edge in our side is clear for all to see. This ruthless edge was missing in the side up until that loss to St Kilda.

Lid off? Not yet, but it's definitely bubbling and not far from popping off. It's hard to see us losing another game for the rest of the year. Three of four games at Kardinia Park we ain't dropping any of those. Gold Coast are bog average and this side isn't losing any finals, especially with the pain from 2020 burning in their guts.
You're brave to suggest this side "isn't losing any finals".. The more this season goes on, the more I start to get a feeling of déjà vu.

Agreed.

I also don’t like how talked up we are currently by the media. Recipe for disaster.

I think certain Finals dynamics have changed - for instance young teams now seem to cope with the finals pressure and not get overawed and favourites seem to go OK - Dees , Tigers etc.
Maybe this is our year and we will deliver on being the favourite , fingers crossed. ;)

I can’t help but draw some comparisons between this season and 2020.

Playing our skin off in the last part of the year with only one obvious other main contender (reigning premiers) who we thought we could beat in finals.

Early days yet IMO
We are a much better side than 2020.
Different game style.

Doesn’t mean we will win the flag but this is nothing like 2020. Richmond beat us convincingly before the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back