News Thomas and Keefe - 2 year ban - Trade, De-List, Rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Clause 41
Surely it should read 'can' rather than 'cannot'.
How can you ban someone from jogging or doing weights.
Surely cannot be.
That has to be the key bit. Well figured out. :thumbsu: It's obviously a mistake, and a pretty ordinary one for someone to have made, yet that is what appears on the Players' Association website.

Of course athletes would have to be allowed to keep training, it wouldn't be in anyone's best interest to stop them.

And IIRC Cousins was training like a beast during his AFL-imposed ban. (not ASADA).

Surely they wouldn't be allowed to stop them training - just limit how it is done. (ie. not with any sort of football club).

I hope/assume that there is something we can put in place to keep them under the guidance of the club.
Either the club provide trainers (or they privately pay for using the clubs trainers), or at least a training plan and diet plan etc.
Also would assume we would be looking at non-football things they may be able to do - such as training/higher learning courses, leadership, education stuff like that. I dont think a ban would cover those things as long as its not football related.
Yes, all of that seems reasonable. Clearly an unfortunate mistake was made in the document on the AFLPA website. Presumably it's been there for a while, surely someone might have noticed the error and fixed it!

So it seems clear that they cannot use the clubs (or affiliated clubs) facilities until December 2016.
Hence they could use Melbourne Storms facilities with a personal trainer & meet with a Collingwood assistant coach for a coffee & wrap once a week to discuss progress & or adjust goals/program etc.
Said, assistant coach reports back to Football department.

So it seems clear that they cannot use the clubs (or affiliated clubs) facilities until December 2016.
Hence they could use Melbourne Storms facilities with a personal trainer & meet with a Collingwood assistant coach for a coffee & wrap once a week to discuss progress & or adjust goals/program etc.

The banned players can't use our facilities, be at the holden centre, come to any club functions, have contact with our officials related to assist in training whatsoever. They can do training on their own. Now whether that means they could use say a NRL/NBL or some other type of club training facilities guess that's probably a grey area. My guess is they probably can't as that club might get a visit from ASADA or WADA.

I think I read somewhere that JT had hired a personal fitness person to keep him in shape for most 2016 until he can resume at Pies.

I'm happy to go down and do a bit of circle work with the 2 boys if that helps.

Maybe we can get the Collingwood supporters from BIGFOOTY out there. Or have a rotating roster haha.

The banned players can't use our facilities, be at the holden centre, come to any club functions, have contact with our officials related to assist in training whatsoever.

Correct.

They can do training on their own.

Correct.

Now whether that means they could use say a NRL/NBL or some other type of club training facilities guess that's probably a grey area.

Incorrect - a player under a ban cannot work with any a team that is part of any sporting body that is a signatory to the WADA / ASADA code. You can't be identified as being a drug cheat in one sport and then just jump over to train / compete in another.

The additional stipulations in the AFL code basically prevents them from training with a team in any organised Aussie Rules league/competition.

My guess is they probably can't as that club might get a visit from ASADA or WADA.

It wouldn't get that far - all professional sports know their responsibilities re: complying with such bans and wouldn't even let them in the door.

I think I read somewhere that JT had hired a personal fitness person to keep him in shape for most 2016 until he can resume at Pies.

This is the only realistic option for both boys.

Would love to know your views if this was Carlton who had two banned players and we're trying to get around the rules.

As for listing these two, I'm seriously pissed with the club.
They are drug cheats pure and simple. And have embarrassed my club.
This decision will have further ramifications.
They have forfeited the right to ever wear the Black and White, even at VFL level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Incorrect - a player under a ban cannot work with any a team that is part of any sporting body that is a signatory to the WADA / ASADA code. You can't be identified as being a drug cheat in one sport and then just jump over to train / compete in another.

The additional stipulations in the AFL code basically prevents them from training with a team in any organised Aussie Rules league/competition.

It wouldn't get that far - all professional sports know their responsibilities re: complying with such bans and wouldn't even let them in the door.

This is the only realistic option for both boys.

I'm not surprised by any of this. It would extend to nearly every pro sporting organisation. Now that said there are many amateur clubs with facilities. I would think many would get advice about letting them in the door and most if not all would say "No".

They are really on their own until the ban is lifted.

Would love to know your views if this was Carlton who had two banned players and we're trying to get around the rules.

As for listing these two c*unts, I'm seriously pissed with the club.
They have forfeited the right to ever wear the Black and White, even at VFL level.
Drug cheats ? Or young fools using Coke at a rock concert in the off season?
I'm willing to give these two lads the benifet of the doubt.
They are being punished big time.

Drug cheats ? Or young fools using Coke at a rock concert in the off season?
I'm willing to give these two lads the benifet of the doubt.
They are being punished big time.
The tests don't lie.
Drug cheats.
They have a cover story, if you want to swallow that good luck to you.
Somewhere out there there are two players who have busted their guts to get the chance at An AFL club. And have not had a positive drug test.
Those are the guys I feel sorry for. Not those who had the chance and stuffed it.
Again, would you be so forgiving if this was any player other than a Collingwood player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The tests don't lie.
Drug cheats.
They have a cover story, if you want to swallow that good luck to you.
Somewhere out there there are two players who have busted their guts to get the chance at An AFL club. And have not had a positive drug test.
Those are the guys I feel sorry for. Not those who had the chance and stuffed it.
Again, would you be so forgiving if this was any player other than a Collingwood player?
I put my faith in the Collingwood Football Club in this case.
Not a BF poster who knows better than the club.
If the club cut them, then I would support that (as the club thought good reason to cut), however they have not, hence I believe they evaluated the case carefully & came to their conclusion.
Have you ever been granted a 2nd chance by anyone?

Just quietly, it's our club ;)

Your name says it all

I think if Thomas and Keefe had been the only players involved in the St Kilda fest behaviour, they would have been delisted. It is likely that a number of other players were involved and perhaps were just lucky not to be tested. My hope is that this leads to a positive change for the playing group as a whole.

I'm sure directly or indirectly they would be getting something.

I hope we hear more about what they're both up to out of football throughout the year

It's an interesting one. They could be on leave without pay. After all they are not actually doing anything to justify a salary over the next year. They will probably have to get real jobs.

It's an interesting one. They could be on leave without pay. After all they are not actually doing anything to justify a salary over the next year. They will probably have to get real jobs.

I heard Thomas was working as a Uber driver and Keeffe was perhaps studying but I reckon if you have signed a contract and you're a contracted player you would get the rookie salary.

Which isn't much about 45k base IIRC and incentive based on games played after that.

Edit: its 54k

I heard Thomas was working as a Uber driver and Keeffe was perhaps studying but I reckon if you have signed a contract and you're a contracted player you would get the rookie salary.

Which isn't much about 45k base IIRC and incentive based on games played after that.

No offence to Uber drivers but I hope he finds something more productive to do.

I reckon I could be driving for uber very soon unless someone starts pumping money into resources again. The big companies at the moment are just getting bigger, the smaller guys are all falling on their swords. Just need to look in the auction yards to see how many sadly are going belly up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back