Traded Thomas Berry (2018-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

The unseen: Who is yet to play senior footy at your club in 2019?
Tom Berry: The younger brother of Jarrod, Tom has improved as the season has worn on. Has a high work-rate and jumped a few players in the queue to close in on a call-up.

Who might play in 2019? With a reliable squad of 28-30 players to choose from, injury is the only avenue for any of the above to get a call-up. Lyons, Skinner and Berry are the most likely candidates if injury should strike.

Brisbane Lions’ Berry brothers open up on family tragedy
Tom, who serendipitously joined his brother in the club last year, is fast rising through the ranks as a junior player. Although he’s yet to make his main stage debut, the club has thrown its faith behind him as a young player to watch.

“How we interact, how we are with each other … I don’t think many families have that,” says Jarrod, as he chats with U on Sunday with his brother Tom at a coffee shop in Camp Hill. “It (our bond) was forged out of tragedy … and I wouldn’t change it for the world, it’s pretty awesome to have this relationship that we’ve got now.”

Tom smiles, “We are four best mates and we rely on each other … we love each other’s company and would do anything for each other.”

That reigns true for Troy, who, despite living in Horsham, which is 300km out of central Melbourne, has only missed one Lions game all year and “that was the game they played in Tasmania,” he laughs. So far, it’s 22 games and counting at stadiums around the nation. He drives the almost four hours to Melbourne airport before getting on the two-plus hour flight to Brisbane.

If he’s lucky, in one weekend, he’ll catch his eldest son Joel, 23, who is also a sparky, play a local game with the Ballarat Swans in Victoria then he’ll drive to Melbourne airport, get on a flight to Brisbane to see Tom play in the curtain raiser before watching Jarrod run on the field at The Gabba with the Lions.

Click link above for full length article.

Fantastic article and I am so glad that they both made it to our club.

Jarrod and Hugh along with Fages and Noble were the beginning of the re-born Brisbane Lions IMO.

Couldn't agree more....definately seems that way to me too.

A friend who lives in Horsham knew their mum, said she was a fantastic person. It comes through in the boys and what the dad has done since her passing makes him father of the decade imo. To go to the lengths he does to get to matches is quite remarkable.

very surprised no one else posted this video. I hope it works ok. Very promising debut by Tom. Pity he didn’t kick the goal. still a lot to look forward to in the future

Last edited:
Highlights package for Tommy currently posted on Lions website is really impressive. Tommy has a bright future if he can continue to develop and get more of the ball.

Pretty important off-season for Tom. He has 2 more years contract wise i believe but you always want to be improving. Needs to clean up a few things skill wise and aerobic fitness but he definitely is hard as a cats head so no problems there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berry Ready for Consistency after 'Challenging Year'

article-size-template.png

Tom Berry will be looking to find consistency in his game for 2022 after one of the most unique seasons by any player in the competition.

Following the AFL’s introduction of the medical sub rule, Berry was named as the 23rd man eight times.

Only able to be activated when a player is no longer able to continue play due to injury or concussion, Berry would often be the subject to many late-night running sessions and early morning flights.

“With the new rule of medi-sub, I played that role a lot of times, 8 in total I think. I had to gear up to potentially play and often wouldn’t,” Berry said.

“So I’d run laps after the game which wasn’t the most fun thing in the world or I’d be back on the early flight home to play VFL the next day.”

But Berry maintained his optimism through the process and said being around the main group provided plenty of excitement.

“It was a challenging year with not necessarily knowing what I was going to do but it was exciting to be a part of the core group and bring plenty of energy within it.”

When activated as medi-sub, Berry was often thrown all over the ground to cover injury, but in the pre-season has been working primarily at his preferred role as a pressure forward.

“I played a fair bit of small forward in the AFL but in the VFL I’m more of a mid and play through the middle.

“I’m probably better in that small pressure forward role but would love to roll up the ground or onto the wing at some point.”

Looking to 2022, Berry says he’s just enjoying being back and has been working on his kicking game.

“It’s been great to get back with the boys, we’re getting stuck into it.”

“I just want to have a solid pre-season, I’ve dropped a bit of weight and bumped up my fitness.”

“I want to focus on my kicking and nail it down and make it a weapon for me.”

Sharks Down Lions

Tom Berry and Tom Fullarton were crucial in the Lions’ keeping up with a dominant Southport, collecting 20 and 17 disposals respectively.

Lions Hold On In Frankston Thriller

Tom Berry was among the best for the Lions once again, showcasing his physicality and attack on the ball throughout evening.

Putting his body on the line time and time again, Berry was rewarded for effort, finishing with 27 disposals, 11 tackles, 7 clearances, two goals and two behinds.

Five Must Watch Players in the VFL

A linchpin in the Lions VFL midfield alongside Rhys Mathieson, the impact of Tom Berry this VFL season cannot be understated.

An attacking midfielder who knows how to put the pressure on his opponents, the younger Berry brother has played a critical role in the Lions midfield this season.

Averaging 25 disposals and 5 tackles per game, Berry’s best performance came in the Lions Round 12 clash against Frankston where he gathered 28 disposals 11 tackles, seven clearances, three marks, two goals and two behinds.

“Tom has been a real leader in the side this season,” Hahn said.

“His contributions to meetings, his drive to push the standards and make his own teammates better have made him a key player on and off field for us.

“He does so many things right; his energy, his attack on the contest, his tackle pressure, the outside speed and hitting the scoreboard.

“It’s the finishing touches now that we’re working on with Tom to take him game to the next level and making sure that he’s doing those things consistently to finish off his good work.”

Brisbane Lions Make it Five Straight

Tom Berry gave his forwards plenty of opportunity with 10 inside 50’s, while fellow midfielder Dev Robertson was clinical at the stoppage, laying eight tackles and racking up seven clearances from 29 disposals.

Qscan Injury Update: Two Lions Seasons Over

Meanwhile, youngsters Carter Michael and Tom Berry’s seasons are sadly over after both sustained shoulder injuries in the VFL over the weekend.

The pair went for scans which confirmed damage to their shoulders, with the two undergoing surgery today.

Tom Berry To Depart The Den

The Brisbane Lions confirm Thomas Berry has informed the Club he wishes to join the Gold Coast Suns.

Berry, who was recruited with pick 36 at the 2018 draft, was offered a new contract by the Club for 2023 but has opted to seek more opportunities elsewhere.

Brisbane Lions General Manager Football, Danny Daly, said the Club had hoped Berry would re-sign, though respected his decision.

“It is tough to lose someone like Tom, as he is not only a talented young player but also a great person who has been a popular member of our Club,” Daly said.

“Tom was able to play a handful of games for us this year and he showed some promising signs before his season was cut short due to injury.

“We hoped he would stay with us, but we understand his reasons for moving on and we wish him all the best for the future.”

Berry, who played 20 matches across four seasons with the Brisbane Lions, said it was a hard decision to depart the Club he called home.

The 22-year-old arrived at The Gabba in 2019 to join his older brother Jarrod, which he said has made his decision more difficult.

“It was obviously a very tough decision for me as I absolutely love the Club with both the playing group and staff, but a decision I believe is going to be best for my career,” Berry said.

“I’ll be forever grateful of the Lions for letting me be part of something so special and a group of people that feels like family.

“The opportunity to play AFL alongside Jarrod is a huge highlight in my life and I thank the club so much to make that possible.

“I’ve loved every moment at the club, and the relationships and friendships I’ve been able to create in my four years I’ll cherish forever.”

My son said to me earlier that of Tom's 20 games, he only played 10 full games for the club, which isn't much across 4 years at the club.

The other 10 were as sub - 8 times in 2021 (being subbed on 3 times) and 2 times in 2022 (being subbed on once) - so he only "played" a part in another 4 games despite being credited with another 6 games whilst not playing at all other than keeping the bench warm. Personally, I think player's shouldn't be credited games they don't actually get subbed on, but that's a different argument.

I'm really happy how respectful and mature all parties have been in allowing Tom to pursue his career at the Suns. Tom was clearly a popular member of the club and will no continue to have a close affiliation with the club and boys via big brother Jerry. He was obviously a fair way down the pecking order and whilst I thought he might have been able to become a manic Craig McRae type defensive small forward, it just wasn't to be and am satisfied that both parties obviously recognised that, so full credit to everyone involved.

One last time, we'll miss you Terry :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back