Delisted Thomas Joyce (2018-2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thomas Joyce: 180cm, 70kg, 7/03/2000

• East Fremantle
  • Midfielder
  • Missed the 2018 season due to a hip injury
Steve Conole, Recruiting Manager, says:

“He’s a really smart, evasive midfielder with clean hands. His handball use is elite and sets him apart from other players within this draft pool.

“Unfortunately, we didn’t see much of Tom this year, his season was curtailed due to an injury which required him to have a hip operation so he was only able to play a few games.”

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-11-23/pick-no-30

#57 Tom Joyce (East Fremantle/Western Australia)

The tough, inside midfielder from East Fremantle did not get to show off his ability this year due to injury, but was rated as a solid third round choice – possibly higher with a good year – coming into 2018. While his size works against him for an inside midfielder at AFL level, he still represents great value, and is one of a number of players in this late bracket that could find a home despite having his most important footballing year ruined by injury. He has good speed, clean hands, great endurance and is one of the more professional players in the draft crop, so will be another who can slot straight in and do everything expected of him from day one.

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2018/11/12/afl-draft-central-final-2018-power-rankings/

17. Tom Joyce (WA)
Best position:
Midfield/defence
Height, weight: 180cm, 68kg
Recruited from: East Fremantle
Projected draft range: 10-30
Similar to: Lachie Neale
Rationale: Small midfielder who made a name for himself during the Under-18 Championships as one of the key midfield pieces who got the ball moving.
Strengths:
-Contested ball-winning
-Production
-Competitiveness in close
-Clean skills
-Sound decision maker who is composed with ball in hand
-Takes on the game
-Pace
Weaknesses:
-Size

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...-power-rankings-key-position-players-dominate

Not Jarrod Cameron, but after West Coast match I was tipping him as our type of pick.

Last edited:

A bit of insight on our new draftee.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-dr...joyce-a-mystery-draft-prospect-ng-b881007037z

At 181cm, Joyce knows he is small for an inside midfielder with clearance monsters like Patrick Cripps (195cm) and Nat Fyfe (190cm) becoming prototypes in the past five years.

But the guys he has modelled his game on — hard nuts like Joel Selwood and Rory Sloane — aren’t much bigger then him.

“It doesn’t really faze me,” Joyce said. “I’ve been smaller as a junior coming all the way through by now anyway. I guess I’m kind of used to it by now a little bit. I like to think my contested ball and clean hands, my stuff around the contest is probably what I consider my strengths.

AFL draft 2018: Tom Joyce over the moon with rising Brisbane Lions

"East Fremantle inside midfielder Tom Joyce says he couldn’t be happier after being drafted by Brisbane and will be ready for the start of the pre-season after major hip surgery this year.

Joyce, 18, fancied to be a captain of the WA under-18 team in 2018 before hip surgery de-railed his season, was taken at pick 40 despite playing just three games for the Sharks colts this year.

“Bumps” on both hips, what Joyce believes was an overuse injury caused by playing two games a week for four years at Aquinas and his junior club Melville, had to shaved back at the end of May, ending his season."

“They feel fantastic at the moment — the best I have felt for a long time and I hope to be ready to go in day one of pre-season.”

An inside midfielder in the mould of a Trent Cotchin or Joel Selwood, Joyce is known for a fearless attack on the ball and clean hands in close.

He was more than pleased that Brisbane, a club on the rise, would be his home.

“I am really excited about it. I think Brisbane is a fantastic club and I couldn’t be happier to be going there,” he said."

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-dr...oon-with-rising-brisbane-lions-ng-b881030367z

Was sold within the first 3 seconds of his highlights on the club's website. Also at the 30sec mark there's another bloke who looks like he can make it but however;)

At about 33 seconds into his highlights video was that Rayner who put in a pretty piss weak effort chasing him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Draft review: Brisbane (Pete Williams)
Tom Joyce – Inside Midfielder

Brisbane are not afraid to pick a West Australian after taking Brandon Starcevich last year. Joyce missed the year through injury, but as a member of the AFL Academy, he has plenty of runs on the board through junior football. While Joyce is a little on the short side for an inside role, he has terrific leadership and will add to the ever-growing culture at the Lions. He could become that pressure forward, or play a defensive role. It might have been a bit of a surprise selection given the Lions’ inside-leaning two picks prior to Joyce, and with McFadyen to come, but he does have different traits to the others.

Draftees pick jumper numbers (Michael Gosman)
#32 - Tom Joyce
Western Australian Tom Joyce (Pick No. 40) will sport the number 32 on his back in 2019.

Sam Mayes was the previous holder of the 32 before his move to Port Adelaide in the recent trade period.

Lions legend Shaun Hart wore the jumper in his 273 games for the Club.

“While Joyce is a little on the short side for an inside role, he has terrific leadership and will add to the ever-growing culture at the Lions.”

Hopefully he is a worthy carrier of “Shorty” Hart’s number.

“While Joyce is a little on the short side for an inside role, he has terrific leadership and will add to the ever-growing culture at the Lions.”

Hopefully he is a worthy carrier of “Shorty” Hart’s number.
Don't tell Zorko he is too short for an inside role.

Don't tell Zorko he is too short for an inside role.
Or Tom Mitchell, Lachie Neale, Jack Viney, Luke Shuey, Taylor Adams, Jack Steven etc who are around the same height and proven as inside ball winners. Guys like Fyfe and Kennedy remain the exception rather than the norm.

Height is not a pre-requisite for winning the footy at ground level. I'm more concerned about his weight than his heightand, even then, he's got heaps of time to put on some muscle, particularly given how much training he's missed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back