Injury Thommo in doubt for Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

No - he's an inside mid only, the forward line needs speed for defensive pressure , keystone for phils game plan
I agree that is what he has been - but the defensive pressure thing works in all parts of the ground. If he isn't up to it in the forward line, how can he be up to it in the middle? The forward line has plenty of speed in Betts and Cameron, be interesting what Walsh has in mind for the old brute.

I agree that is what he has been - but the defensive pressure thing works in all parts of the ground. If he isn't up to it in the forward line, how can he be up to it in the middle? The forward line has plenty of speed in Betts and Cameron, be interesting what Walsh has in mind for the old brute.
2-10-14-the_elephant_in_the_room.jpg

I tend to agree

The time to agree was last year having ended his second season straight injured. Many still have Thommo calling his own time and pushing into 2016 as a fait accompli, dependant upon his desire. It's only now that many are realising how close to the end he is if not managed properly. The days of 'you tell him he's not playing' must be over. Especially when there is kids (Lyons, Grigg, m crouch) tearing it up in the 2's. In a way, I think there's a chance he has bought his own finish point forward by refusing to not play.

Either way, he's been an enormous warrior for our club. He carried the midfield for many years, but he has been poorly handled over the last 3 and it might be coming home to roost. Hope it's not though, I want a fit and firing in and under beast in the guts when the whips are cracking.

The order for me would be:

Lyons - Crouch - Thommo

Same for me. Obviously it's harsh on Thommo who has carried us for years and is often underrated even by our own supporters. However I think his time has come or at least is coming. Lyons is the future and has proven he can impact the scoreboard while still providing the inside work.

Who would you guys rather play this year? Thommo, Lyons or M. Crouch if it came down to it?
M Crouch & Lyons just need to be exposed to the game more. Hell, who knows, if we actually play our less experienced and talented youthful mids, instead of dropping them in and out of the side and putting them in vests, they would become experienced. After this Hamstring, if Thommo breaks down again, put the fork in him.

I love Thommo and the service he has given the club. But he should be used the exact same way that Ryan O'Keefe was in 2014 at Sydney and gradually phased out. Strong clubs make the tough calls like these, just like Sydney did.

He should be firmly in the "break in case of emergency" category this year and Lyons/M.Crouch/Grigg given precedence. Particularly, given his persistent, niggling injuries over the past two seasons and now this pre-season. The post above questioning how he'll defend in the midfield is spot on because the answer is that he hasn't been of late. I don't care what the B&F votes said, he was terrible defensively for the last half of 2014. That West Coast game is particularly etched in my memory where his equivalent opposition player in Priddis was tearing it up on the inside, getting on the outside and applying defensive pressure too but poor Thommo could barely get out of a gallop. If he'd had an uninterrupted pre-season and was flying it might be another story, but that just isn't the case. I'll back Walshy in to have the guts to tell Thommo he can't play (as opposed to the last "coach" we had:rolleyes:).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the Crows make finals, I want Thommo in the midfield. Needs to be carefully managed over the year so he's good to go come the pointy end of the season.

I don't actually.

The experience would be more valuable for a M.Crouch, Grigg, Lyons etc. Having Thommo in there sadly is a waste.

When the Crows make finals, I want Thommo in the midfield. Needs to be carefully managed over the year so he's good to go come the pointy end of the season.

Good call because if we make it to September, mature strong bodies is what is needed. Different style of game compared to H&A.

If Thommo was 100% fit I would play him in R1, however the point is moot and he should be rested. Crows need to carefully map out which games they need Thommo in and stick to that. Playing him in games like Saints and GWS should not be required as an example. Our position on the ladder and strength of the opposition should dictate when we play him.

True but Lyons is ready I reckon. An unfit Thommo is a hindrance. Just lacks all mobility when he's sore. We're gunning at 2-3 years from now and this is likely Thommo's last year.

An unfit Thommo is definitely a hindrance. A fully fit Thommo is a gun, albeit aging, midfielder who has an important role to play as long as he's on the list. I'm a fan of Lyons and M Crouch, but they aren't at Thommo level yet. Fingers crossed at least one of them can get close.

I don't actually.

The experience would be more valuable for a M.Crouch, Grigg, Lyons etc. Having Thommo in there sadly is a waste.
If Thommo's performing at that time of the year and the Crows are a chance of going forward in the finals it would be a no brainer to select him. **** the experience for those three, give me a ****ing finals win!

An unfit Thommo is definitely a hindrance. A fully fit Thommo is a gun, albeit aging, midfielder who has an important role to play as long as he's on the list. I'm a fan of Lyons and M Crouch, but they aren't at Thommo level yet. Fingers crossed at least one of them can get close.

It's highly unlikely that either will get to a thommo's peak level. However, Lyons is probably not far from being able to provide the same output as current Thommo. In terms of full season durability, he's probably already past him.

I don't see why lyons and thommo can't play at the same time, hawthorn have 3/4 slow on ballers in their best 22 and they do fine. Besides lyons has alright acceleration which is all he will need as a rover/forward

I also don't understand the hate thommo is receiving, he averaged 28 disposals last year, led our club in average clearances and came second in our brownlow voting. He will have around the same impact sam mitchell will have anyway and I don't see any hawthorn supporters leaving him out of their best 22.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back