Analysis Thommo is it time?

Playing Thommo in big games?

• Yes, it's worth a try.

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • No way known he's cooked.

Votes: 76 85.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking yesterday how we could just do something out of left field in the middle when we are getting trounced in CP. why not replace all the mids with talls and have the mids rush in off the square. An AFL blitz play. It may just disturb the opposition mids off for a little and stop their momentum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you could create a wall around one player in the shape of a triangle and walk down the field with the player in the middle carrying the ball not allowing any opposition through and make the triangle as large as possible so those players cant tbe infringed against by the opposition then kick a goal from the middle of the triangle

some of the poorer contested ball players in our side that can run have more chance of improving their contested ball efforts from Friday night than Thommo has of improving his running to help apply full ground pressure

No No No

No they couldnt we only recruit soft runners maybe a few exbasketballers and lightweights who are great endrance athletes

you could create a wall around one player in the shape of a triangle and walk down the field with the player in the middle carrying the ball not allowing any opposition through and make the triangle as large as possible so those players cant tbe infringed against by the opposition then kick a goal from the middle of the triangle

Worked in mighty ducks so must work here? Im in

That would actually be hilarious to see.

Someone mentioned this strategy on this forum before. It's genius.

OMG I have often thought of that idea and mentioned to mates who said I was bonkers. According to rules they can't tackle a player more than 5m from ball so it would work until the AFL change the rules of course.

On a more serious note, why don't players adopt an NFL style approach where you have players ahead of you blocking? There has to be some plays that could be implemented in AFL to good affect.

I've always dreamed of this happening.

If those are our weaknesses then Scott Thompson isn't the answer.
There's been more outside scrutiny on us this year after our start than any time I can remember. It's like the Vic media are watching us for the first time.

I'm okay with it. Turn the ******* heat up and see who can handle it. May be the rocket the whole club needs.
It is definitely a positive. Real questions being asked.

No they couldnt we only recruit soft runners maybe a few exbasketballers and lightweights who are great endrance athletes
We are pretty much leading comp in contested ball

But haven't shown ability to win it in big games

Having Thommo there won't help us get better , we will end up a worse version of last year if we pick Thommo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are pretty much leading comp in contested ball

But haven't shown ability to win it in big games

Having Thommo there won't help us get better , we will end up a worse version of last year if we pick Thommo

Did you enjoy our contested game against Geelong

Its easy to win contested footy against the hacks

Would be interesting to make a comparison between the Fre V geelong game

Last win against Geelong had all three in the team with Douggie 33 possessions, Mackay 25 and Thommo 15.

And we had Richard Tambling, Ben Rutten, Ricky Henderson, Bernie Vince, Jarryd Lyons, Mitch Grigg, Jason Porplyzia, Nathan Van Berlo and Matt Wright in the team.

Gerard Neesham Likes This

And we had Richard Tambling, Ben Rutten, Ricky Henderson, Bernie Vince, Jarryd Lyons, Mitch Grigg, Jason Porplyzia, Nathan Van Berlo and Matt Wright in the team.

Imagine the board today if we had Mackay, grigg hendo VB wright douglass in the same team

We have Mackay and otten and it's the end of the world

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No hes not our future, but is he our present as we have zero players with physical preessence

Besides winning ball at ground level what presence does he provide?
He left Danger and Sloane to repeatedly get smashed for years(besides Sandos first year).
His tackling is atrocious and only served to give our opposition a free clearance.
He rarely shepherds or blocks in tight.
Besides the occasional push and shove when he feels manhandled he doesn't really protect any of our runners.
He doesnt Chase?

What do you see him doing vs Geelong?

Besides winning ball at ground level what presence does he provide?
He left Danger and Sloane to repeatedly get smashed for years(besides Sandos first year).
His tackling is atrocious and only served to give our opposition a free clearance.
He rarely shepherds or blocks in tight.
Besides the occasional push and shove when he feels manhandled he doesn't really protect any of our runners.
He doesnt Chase?

What do you see him doing vs Geelong?

hahahaha last time we played them Round 18 unfortunatly they didnt play him this time, not sure what else I can say

GEELONG 4.1 5.6 10.9 12.13 (85)
ADELAIDE 3.2 5.5 5.10 7.13 (55)

GOALS
Geelong: Hawkins 4, Menzel 4, Stanley, Guthrie, Cockatoo, McCarthy
Adelaide: Jenkins 3, Lynch 2, Bews, Douglas

BEST
Geelong: Enright, Selwood, Bartel, Dangerfield, Menzel, Menegola, Hawkins, Lonergan
Adelaide: M Crouch, B Crouch, Laird, Thompson, Jenkins

hahahaha last time we played them Round 18 unfortunatly they didnt play him this time, not sure what else I can say

GEELONG 4.1 5.6 10.9 12.13 (85)
ADELAIDE 3.2 5.5 5.10 7.13 (55)

GOALS
Geelong: Hawkins 4, Menzel 4, Stanley, Guthrie, Cockatoo, McCarthy
Adelaide: Jenkins 3, Lynch 2, Bews, Douglas

BEST
Geelong: Enright, Selwood, Bartel, Dangerfield, Menzel, Menegola, Hawkins, Lonergan
Adelaide: M Crouch, B Crouch, Laird, Thompson, Jenkins

Thommo had 12 effective touches that match. Hardly dominated. He basically stood in the center and hacked clearances and tackled at the stoppage.

Back